Guess The Iron Maiden Song!

Twilight Zone

And we have a winner! Your turn.

Explanations as follows:

Clue 1: This song is a first (although this status could be contested).
Twilight Zone was Adrian Smith's first single with Iron Maiden. But as a double A-side, one could argue that Wratchild shared this honour.

Clue 2: The song has a link to an album by another band. The link is a person with the same first name as a person who inspired an Iron Maiden song released in 1986.
Rush dedicated their 1975 album Caress of Steel to Rod Serling, creator of the Twilight Zone TV series. Rod Smallwood inspired the Wasted Years B-side The Sheriff of Huddersfield in 1986.

Clue 3: The band who released the album in clue 2 have time and again received criticism for several reasons - among them emulating certain aspects of another band's style. Iron Maiden have covered this other band (but not the band in clue 2, as far as I know).
In their early days, Rush were often written off as Led Zeppelin clones, and Geddy Lee's Robert Plant-like wail was much ridiculed. Maiden covered Zeppelin's Commuication Breakdown as a B-side. Always a love-them-or-hate-them band, Rush have also been criticised for their allegedly right-wing lyrics.

Clue 4: The song's lyrics has a line that points directly to another Maiden song. This other song shares its name with a comic book character, a film, a book, an opera, a play, and also other bands, one of which has gained huge popularity under another name.
The line is "I can't get used to purgatory, you know it really makes me cry". Purgatory is obviously the Maiden song, which shares its name with a villain in the DC Comics universe, a 1999 Western film starring Sam Shepard, a W.B Yeats play, which in turn inspired an opera, and the mid-1980s band Purgatory, who later changed their name to Iced Earth.

Rush dedicated their 1975 album Caress of Steel to Rod Serling, creator of the Twilight Zone TV series. Rod Smallwood inspired the Wasted Years B-side The Sheriff of Huddersfield in 1986.
LOL, I’d figured everything else out, but I thought this other band was Greta Van Fleet instead of Rush, and I was desperately trying to figure out the Rod Serling connection to that band...!

I’ll have to think a bit on what my clues will be, and then I’ll post something later.

Clue #1: The lyrics of this song reference the titles of two other Iron Maiden songs from later albums.

Infinite Dreams
Correct!

Clue #1: The lyrics of this song reference the titles of two other Iron Maiden songs from later albums. - “Even in my wildest dreams” and “You tell me you're an unbeliever”.

Your turn.

LOL, I’d figured everything else out, but I thought this other band was Greta Van Fleet instead of Rush, and I was desperately trying to figure out the Rod Serling connection to that band...!

LOL I was the same but since I'd figure nothing else out I was trying to connect Greta Van Fleet to Alexander

• Haha
Reactions: Jer
Your turn.
[/QUOTE]

Great! Here we go:

Clue 1: Both the title and the setting of the song's lyrics are similar to that of a song by a band of whom Maiden are known admirers.

Clue 1: Both the title and the setting of the song's lyrics are similar to that of a song by a band of whom Maiden are known admirers.

Clue 2: The chorus of the song contains lines that are very similar to lines found in a 1980s hit by another rock band. This other band’s hit originally appeared on an album that has a name which can also be found in the chorus of a single from the same album as the Maiden song in question.

Incorrect guesses: The Pilgrim

Clue 2: The chorus of the song contains lines that are very similar to lines found in a 1980s hit by another rock band. This other band’s hit originally appeared on an album that has a name which can also be found in the chorus of a single from the same album as the Maiden song in question.

Incorrect guesses: The Pilgrim

2 AM

Clue two the song is Here I Go Again by Whitesnake and their album is Saints & Sinners which is in Lord of the Flies. No idea of the connection to clue 1

2 AM

Clue two the song is Here I Go Again by Whitesnake and their album is Saints & Sinners which is in Lord of the Flies. No idea of the connection to clue 1

2 AM

That's it, impressive. Your turn.

It's particularly impressive since clue 1 is slightly wrong. Sorry about that, didn't realise it until now. Clue 1 refers to Golden Earring's song Twilight Zone, which has the line "it's 2 AM", and the setting is similar: A lonely guy in a room. But the GE title is of course not 2 A.M (as the clue claims), but Twilight Zone, which would of course be linked to Maiden as well, but was lost in the editing. Sorry about that, these clues are obviously doing my head in.

Clue 2 is already explained by srfc.

Back