Bruce Dickinson

Trying to sing a challenging song like that after speaking for 3 hours and without warming up is probably not a good idea, but I bet the people that were there did enjoy it...
But that's what I mean. Revelations he did fine with, FoI is a bad idea. The people there probably would enjoy it and they would applaud him even if it was terrible, which kind of is my point about ego boosting. He sings Icarus kind of poorly but hey, everybody loves it anyway.

But that's what I mean. Revelations he did fine with, FoI is a bad idea. The people there probably would enjoy it and they would applaud him even if it was terrible, which kind of is my point about ego boosting. He sings Icarus kind of poorly but hey, everybody loves it anyway.

The point I was trying to make is related to what I posted yesterday about how back in the early 90s he was quite critical about himself (and Maiden) being surrounded by too many people that always told them how great they were and needing a bullshit detector. It seems he is going through a similar phase nowadays, being worshipped every day in every aspect of what he does (touching buttons and what have you), but with him perhaps having lost the ability of being self-critical.

Considering the previously citated rather harsh interview, I wonder if his media presence takes further step into the "jerkish" territory once again.

I've understood that at the beginning of the "re-union era" Bruce was being rather arrogant in the interviews, which was also part of their business strategy of sorts. He was hammering down the "THIS IS NOT ABOUT SOME BULLSHIT NOSTALGIA FUCK ALL THAT" message very heavily basically right after rejoining Maiden and in his on-stage speeches during Ed-Huntour. As stated, it was at least partly tongue-in-cheek and intentionally arrogant, since they actually had something to prove and were pretty confident that they definitely will prove.

Later on towards the '00s and first half of 2010's, I think the big picture and his general media status was of course a bit more rounded, but at the same time much more distant than now. Of course, social media and everything has come into play, but after the 2015 cancer-announcement and TBOS hype, Bruce has been very prominent in basically any Maiden-related media. He appeared in various YouTube interviews, and not all of those channels were even that big, magazines and all, being very open, in good moods and super friendly indeed. You can't really find those snarky, "dontevenwanttobehere..." type of interviews and more or less controversial comments from him around that period. Of course, following the cancer episode, Bruce was much more interesting to the eyes of the media than previously, but he was also seemingly much more into it himself too, when compared to much more distant Bruce of the previous years.

Long story short, he was quite present everywhere, even in relatively small medias you wouldn't expect him to normally associate with, and seemingly very excited to talk about... anything really. Following the book events, he's also been easier for many fans to meet, have a quick chat and a picture. There's a plenty of "Bruce & I" selfies around the social media now.

But. With the cancer/TBOS/Legacy hype cycle done, I wonder if he's getting a bit fed up with the media, especially if the attention is not at the things he wants to talk about.

Well it's just one interview anyway. My whole point was just to underline that in, say, 2015-18 Bruce has been everywhere, being constantly super pleasant and easy for those producing any sorts of media. It might be that Bruce's expectations for the treatment media gives him have got too high though. :p

Oh, The Chemical Wedding. That sounded beautiful.

I'm eternally grateful for the fact I've had a chance to witness Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, Moonchild, Sign of The Cross, For the Greater Good of God etc. live, but I can't even describe how amazing it would be to see Bruce performing The Chemical Wedding live.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. Beautiful.

And so we lay...

My friends, I will share the story about sunday December 8th!

There were about 200-300 people there in Lisbon maybe? Bruce was holding i believe 10-15 cards on the Q&A session.

Super interesting, very in depth stories and little things including Nicko flying him and a buddy when they were fencing in Europe in a shit little airplane.

My question was this: Will you please come to Portugal on a Solo tour? Also can you still sing Chemical Wedding? Please tease a chorus for us!

He not only joked about alexander the great being the request all the time (he also stated that maiden WILL play it at some point) but he did explain Chemical Weddings story and how the "we lay in the same grave" is about you and your inner/other/darker self and how we maintain this balance.

AND THEN he busted out 2 verses and 2 mid and 2 high chorus. I still can't believe he read my card as the last one of the evening and actually answered it and sang what I asked.

I'm in awe and not one bit disapointed for no autograph in the end, this was way better.

Cheers guys!

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they saved it for the last show of the last tour. Which would be the only way they announced that it was the same.

At this stage of their career, I don't see Maiden resurrecting a song that they never played live. Would be nice though.

Back