LEGACY OF THE BEAST 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rock In Rio channel in YouTube has uploaded 3 Maiden songs from the show. I think they are Pro-Shot/HD videos, because there are differences in the footage in those videos and in the whole live streamed concert.

Aces High -> CLICK HERE
Revelations -> CLICK HERE #2
Iron Maiden -> CLICK HERE #3
I really hope Maiden come out with a dvd/blu-ray package of this show. It would also be special because it was my son and mine's first Maiden show together, and the set design and setlist are phenomenal.

He most likely said that as he was battling the flu and sounded quite bad in parts , the rest of the band were great as always .

They all had the shits. He lost 2.5 kg between Mexico and Rock in Rio and had a bucket backstage ready to be used when needed.
Eww. Bruce goes poopy is gross but he still sounded pretty damn good on some songs. I was shocked at how good Where Eagles Poop was so good.

I just want recording from a show where:
  • Adrian is cool AF
  • Steve is badass
  • Dave is on top of his game
  • Nicko is happy as a drummer can be
  • Janick is a dancing queen
  • Bruce voice is warmed up enough to pull out aces high and is more comfortable on a stage than during 90% of LOTB second leg

God damn Nicko's new Sonor SQ2 kit sounds so good!!! :wub:
Agreed!

However...I will never for the life of me understand how the f**k someone in that organization decided that hiding his entire kit behind that stupid vine for the first part of the concert was remotely a good idea....

Nicko really knows what a drum should sound like. If Maiden albums were recorded better, his kit would shine even more--especially the cymbals.

Mangini, Portnoy or anyone else in the business-- IMO the rest sound wrong after Nicko. They are too thin, too plasticky or too metallic. Nicko's ears are like that of a jazz audiophile, whereas his heart is full of the "bam bam bam” (energy!) of metal music.

Rock In Rio channel in YouTube has uploaded 3 Maiden songs from the show. I think they are Pro-Shot/HD videos, because there are differences in the footage in those videos and in the whole live streamed concert.

Aces High -> CLICK HERE
I love that little figure Adrian does in Revelations (second verse or thereabouts, too drunk to check) but I also think it doesn't really fit the song at all. Weird!

Nicko really knows what a drum should sound like. If Maiden albums were recorded better, his kit would shine even more--especially the cymbals.

Mangini, Portnoy or anyone else in the business-- IMO the rest sound wrong after Nicko. They are too thin, too plasticky or too metallic. Nicko's ears are like that of a jazz audiophile, whereas his heart is full of the "bam bam bam” (energy!) of metal music.
I dunno about that. In the above videos at least I'd say his drums might well have sounded good, but the mix really doesn't show it. The snare in particular sounds like it should be tuned quite a bit higher pitch-wise, but that might be solved by changing the ratio on the mix for the snare mics. Other than that it's pretty middling. Not particularly bad, not amazingly good either. Sounds like it came right off the board, in fact.

Personally I thought some of the best-sounding drums he's had were in that one video from Pete York's Super Drumming (look it up, it's on YouTube). What a finely tuned kit that was. The snare is cutting and bright but not too annoying and the bass drum has an incredibly natural but still meaty sound that really cuts through. The tom sound is arguably more of a preference thing, but fuck you I like it. The cymbals are great too. Admittedly, listening critically, I would maybe argue the snare could use more body and presence but that's a comparatively minor complaint.

Aces High -> CLICK HERE
I love Bruce but it is hard to see him struggle like this :( He still sounds amazing on some songs but Aces High is not the ideal song for a 61 year old. I’m surprised they brought it back after 2012-2014.

I will still wet myself with excitement when I see it again in 2020!

I love Bruce but it is hard to see him struggle like this :( He still sounds amazing on some songs but Aces High is not the ideal song for a 61 year old. I’m surprised they brought it back after 2012-2014.

I will still wet myself with excitement when I see it again in 2020!

Bruce mentioned in Zagreb at one of his (endless) book tour shows that the Rock in Rio gig was the worst of the whole South American tour as they were sick and had the shits. Apparently, he lost 2.5 kg between Mexico and the Rio gig and had a bucket backstage ready for when it was needed.

Sick or not, he still sounds better on Aces High now that he did back in 2012-2014 when it was the first encore.

Last edited:
Pete York's Super Drumming
This kit is amazing on its own terms. The toms have a light and ‘airy’ sound. Lots of room for the cymbals to crash as well. Actually, if Nicko did not enter the realm of Maiden, he may have preferred that kind of a sound. That being said, IMO it would be less ideal for Maiden than something like Eric Johnson (say, Cliffs of Dover). This is because Maiden needs more substance than air.

Clearly, he prefers slow--which is, in terms of his own performance--and heavy drum sounds. Given that you think the snare in Rock in Rio ’19 is too low pitchwise, probably you did not enjoy the BoS Live Chapter very much either. I love how drums sound in tRatB. His relatively ‘snappy’ bass kick gets along so well with Steve, even though it is somewhat bloated at times. Also the more meaty snare fits so well with his desire to enjoy “bam-bam”, though, especially when mixing is poorly done, it definitely risks making the soundstage congested.

Last edited:
Bruce said that many songs were left for this tour ( war,religion,hell) related so maybe they can tour with a different set list......you know....maybe 2 o 3 songs add,mabye brighter than thousand suns,mabye another X factor song war related or afraid to shoot strangers...

This kit is amazing on its own terms. The toms have a light and ‘airy’ sound. Lots of room for the cymbals to crash as well. Actually, if Nicko did not enter the realm of Maiden, he may have preferred that kind of a sound. That being said, IMO it would be less ideal for Maiden than something like Eric Johnson (say, Cliffs of Dover). This is because Maiden needs more substance than air.

Clearly, he prefers slow--which is, in terms of his own performance--and heavy drum sounds. Given that you think the snare in Rock in Rio ’19 is too low pitchwise, probably you did not enjoy the BoS Live Chapter very much either. I love how drums sound in tRatB. His relatively ‘snappy’ bass kick gets along so well with Steve, even though it is somewhat bloated at times. Also the more meaty snare fits so well with his desire to enjoy “bam-bam”, though, especially when mixing is poorly done, it definitely risks making the soundstage congested.
Snares are kind of the most difficult thing to mix. Something about occupying too much of the frequency band if I'm not wrong.

Live Chapter was alright in my book. I feel like the bass drum could've been higher in the mix and yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of the snare sound. Similar to the above RiR videos it just sounded a bit too unproduced to my ears, like it came off the board straight up so the guitars sound tinny and the bass isn't really there. But again, it's not terrible either.

I agree about the airy sound of the Pete York kit. When the whole band is playing it's really easy to notice the toms just kind of disappear in the mix but I do think the snare and bass drum still cut through well. Might be a different case with Maiden's level of amplification though. But goddamn does it still sound good when he's playing solo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back