Official 2020 Tour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could the 2020 tour be the final one for Nicko?

One FC member (@Luisma was that you?) claims that prior to starting the 2019 leg of the LOTB tour they asked someone to learn the set because they were concerned Nicko might not be able to finish the tour because of his health problems (his back is mentioned as the problem). The same FC member went on to say the band "will keep touring (with someone different to Nicko in the future) and recording (with Nicko as long as he’s able)".

Maybe I will think a different way if this happens, but I don't want to see Maiden without any of the current members... especially Nicko.

They are a family and I don't want to see it separated. But if happens, the situation will be similar with Priest and Glenn Tipton - record album/s, but not touring.
And that info is totally correct ;)

May I ask you for a source?

I'd consider Belfast, though it looks like that festival has even less metal than Download
Yeah it aint no festival as we know it. Its a series of one off gigs. No camping or anything like that. Its mostly pop/rap type stuff and the odd rock day. They had NIN one year and Slash this year but Maiden is the only Metal act I can remember ever doing it. Usually 4-6 bands per day i think, couple of local bands and mid level international acts. And noise restrictions and curfew, 10.30, I think. Myles Kennedy apologised for it this year. That said, I found that the front third of the field was definitely loud enough. And efficient bar facilities. Although that was probably due to the size of the crowd.

Hi @
Maybe I will think a different way if this happens, but I don't want to see Maiden without any of the current members... especially Nicko.

They are a family and I don't want to see it separated. But if happens, the situation will be similar with Priest and Glenn Tipton - record album/s, but not touring.

May I ask you for a source?

Hi @Kalata I'm gonna start by saying that what I don't want to see is Maiden saying goodbye because Nicko can't keep with the touring schedule. I have no problem if he keeps recording with the band and then the rest of the Maiden boys keep going on tour without him... Anyway, what I asked in the Official IMFC forum applies here... Can you truly see the band stopping what they love (touring) because Nicko can't go on?

About my source, as Janick answered before Rock In Rio in 2001, I could tell you, but then I'll have to kill you ;)

Being a bit more serious, I cannot openly say what my source is because of this. For years I have been writing a book related to Maiden (I think most of the people here know this) and thanks to this I have been able to know past members of the band as well a past and present members of the Killer Krew. They trust me with info because they trust I won't tell it openly or, in some case, I won't say it at all. If a violate that trust, basically, my source of information will be cut and that's really something I don't want to see happening.

I respect you Kalata because you usually share good information here and usually you are willing to help other fans however, I have not had the opportunity to share something of importance with you privately so I cannot say that if I share something of importance with you, you will not violate the trust given to you, therefore, causing me problems... I hope you understand this and if we do get to share important stuff in the future, I will gladly share all the info I usually have with you.

I'm gonna start by saying that what I don't want to see is Maiden saying goodbye because Nicko can't keep with the touring schedule. I have no problem if he keeps recording with the band and then the rest of the Maiden boys keep going on tour without him... Anyway, what I asked in the Official IMFC forum applies here... Can you truly see the band stopping what they love (touring) because Nicko can't go on?

Difficult question that one...

I for one would rather see the band reaching the end of their career with the current line-up than ending up like AC/DC or Judas Priest, replacing key members for health reasons as if it did not matter...

It's logical that they asked someone to be on a stand-by if Nicko can't do it, if he was indeed not 100% before the tour, since cancelling the tour would be a financial disaster.

However, I can't see thwm replacing Nicko fully. If they still play, I think Nicko will do studio work only, with Laz's son touring.

If it’s someone in the “family,” that’s probably the best move. Keeping Nicko as a recording member is even better. It could easily add 10 years to the band’s lifespan.

On the other hand, it is a slippery slope toward really looking like a cabaret act. Most bands that have gone this route ended up really overstaying their welcome.

We are forgiving Rod here.
I think Rod is the seventh member of the band along with Andy Taylor (the 8th). He always goes with the band and I think if he retires from the business, Steve and Bruce are very close to Nicko and Rod so I think he and the rest of the band will retire.

It wouldn't be the same without Nicko. I'd previously assumed that by the time we reached the point where Nicko couldn't continue live, we might also be at a point where at least one another member can't continue either.

Something kinda interesting to me is that, after replacing a key member, bands tend to get more adventurous with their setlists. Later it turns out that that particular member had been holding the rest of the band back due to technical limitations or just not wanting to play different songs. But with Maiden that wouldn’t be the case. Nicko seems to frequently push for playing different tunes and the band is currently playing one of the songs that has been notoriously difficult for him (Where Eagles Dare).

Something kinda interesting to me is that, after replacing a key member, bands tend to get more adventurous with their setlists. Later it turns out that that particular member had been holding the rest of the band back due to technical limitations or just not wanting to play different songs. But with Maiden that wouldn’t be the case. Nicko seems to frequently push for playing different tunes and the band is currently playing one of the songs that has been notoriously difficult for him (Where Eagles Dare).
And according to his "evening with" chat from last year, he actually chose Where Eagles Dare for the setlist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back