LEGACY OF THE BEAST 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
The weird thing is, for me, Greater Good has similar enough dynamics to Sign, Fear, or Clan that it's weird it doesn't get the crowd going. It's got its soft parts, heavy parts, fast parts, melodic parts, etc. To me it's just another 7+ minute great song in the setlist.
I think it's a case of simply being the least known Maiden song they're playing. Sign and Clan have been around alot longer and I think many of the less hardcore fans eventually discovered those songs from Rock in Rio videos and such. (Talking about USA, here)

Knowing that Wacken 2020 Festival is sold out with Priest headlining … do you think that Maiden could make a 3rd leg of this tour and postpone the release of the new album to September or October next year?
Not sure what one has to do with the other. I want to believe they would not let new material sit around that long and do a 3rd leg of LOTB. But then there are still places that LOTB have missed (Japan/Australia/NZ, etc)...but they would have to get the TBOS plane to hit those places. Not sure if they would do that again right now. So...who knows? Rod and the boys do, I'm sure.

I think it's because of the topic. Also, lyrics is written in passive form, some sort of reflections. There is no straightforward story in this song. To my non english speaking ears, it's only constant whining. Sorry.
P.S. Compare how Hallowed is written. There is story, point of view, and so on..
That's true, but crowds don't really bounce to lyrics to begin with (with exception). Most crowds are bouncing to the music itself, and the music itself in FTGGOG has very similar dynamics to other songs that the crowds love. I hope that makes sense, what i'm saying. The words I'm using. I'm buried in data today and none of my words are sense making to me.

That's true, but crowds don't really bounce to lyrics to begin with (with exception). Most crowds are bouncing to the music itself, and the music itself in FTGGOG has very similar dynamics to other songs that the crowds love. I hope that makes sense, what i'm saying. The words I'm using. I'm buried in data today and none of my words are sense making to me.

You can't get the crowd going and jumping, by saying, "religion is used in wrong way, humanity sucks and we all going to die" :goodbye: Message of the song is depressing and not in the uplifting way.

You can't get the crowd going and jumping, by saying, "religion is used in wrong way, humanity sucks and we all going to die" :goodbye: Message of the song is depressing and not in the uplifting way.
Right, but my point was that the lyrics don't usually matter in the context of folks headbanging/getting into a song at a concert. They could be singing Campbell's soup labels and if the riffs are good and familiar people will bob along.

Rime especially is really long and the band has plenty other shorter long songs to pick from.

Really? On both counts. The past two tours have dedicated roughly 30 minutes of each set to just 3 songs (Eternity, Red&Black, Book of Souls and Clansman, FTGGOG, Sign of the Cross). They can surely find a way to squeeze in what most consider a top 5 song.

Secondly, since when does Iron Maiden ever pick the short song? In fact I would love it if they did. Any of the following could easily be slipped into the set. All are relatively short and all would keep the momentum going in a show. Rainmaker, Different World, The Final Frontier (sans Satellite 15...), When the River Runs Deep, Fallen Angel, Man on the Edge, Futureal, Be Quick or Be Dead. I'll admit some of these are not universally acclaimed, but neither is Run to the Hills and that song is a treat live.

#82 out of 155
I don't know what this means, but RttH was a hit single and is probably the number one song at Maiden concerts that every fan knows universally. It's definitely acclaimed.

I think it's a case of simply being the least known Maiden song they're playing. Sign and Clan have been around alot longer and I think many of the less hardcore fans eventually discovered those songs from Rock in Rio videos and such. (Talking about USA, here)

I think that's basically it. If you wanted to swap it out for another lengthy song, Heaven Can Wait might fit thematically/time-wise?

I don't know what this means, but RttH was a hit single and is probably the number one song at Maiden concerts that every fan knows universally. It's definitely acclaimed.

Also, it might have only got to number 7 in the charts but it sold way, way more copies than later singles that charted higher.

It came in at 7.97/10, which is basically the gateway song to a very good song. I think it's fair.

I also think it is the best known Iron Maiden song and it is also a great live song. But for the hardcore Iron Maiden consumer, Run to the Hills is a little pedestrian, the ideas in it are better developed elsewhere, and the themes have been revisited successfully. I think the evidence in that is the success of The Trooper, which checks a lot of the same boxes (live staple, #2 best known Iron Maiden song after RttH, overexposed, same war theme, galloping bass, etc). The Trooper clocks in at a much higher 12th overall.

Right, but my point was that the lyrics don't usually matter in the context of folks headbanging/getting into a song at a concert. They could be singing Campbell's soup labels and if the riffs are good and familiar people will bob along.
This. Especially when you consider that far from all audiences are English-speaking.

I'm really curious to see the reaction of South America crowd on FTGGOG. I wonder if it will be different, but I have the feeling it won't, simply because the song is only known by the "fanatic" fans like us.

Also, it will be the first time ever that Maiden will play a song from AMOLAD down here. Let's see how it goes.

I'm really curious to see the reaction of South America crowd on FTGGOG. I wonder if it will be different, but I have the feeling it won't, simply because the song is only known by the "fanatic" fans like us.

Also, it will be the first time ever that Maiden will play a song from AMOLAD down here. Let's see how it goes.
South American fans are "fanatic" fans like us. They would go wild if Maiden played 'The Fugitive' and 'Deja Vu'.

#82 out of 155

Maidenfans.com is hardly representative of the average Maiden fan.

Run to the Hills is a monster of a song, the perfect song to finish the show with regardless of some fans (a small vocal minority?) liking When Two Worlds Collide more.

Maidenfans.com is hardly representative of the average Maiden fan.

Run to the Hills is a monster of a song, the perfect song to finish the show with regardless of some fans (a small vocal minority?) liking When Two Worlds Collide more.

I agree with you on all of those points. I meant to say the Run to the Hills is not universally highly regarded on THIS forum. I almost never listen to it, but it is truly one of the most enjoyable songs live. In fact, I probably listen to When Two Worlds Collide more frequently than RTTH. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back