LEGACY OF THE BEAST 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
It defies logic that Phantom has been in two and a half tours over the past 20 years. And one of those tours (Eddie Rips Up the World) was amongst the shortest tour ever. What's crazier, is that Rime of the Ancient Mariner has been played even less!
They're both songs that are hard to fit in a set. Rime especially is really long and the band has plenty other shorter long songs to pick from. Phantom seems to generally occupy a space where its usually only trotted out as setlist filler or as a very obvious stand-in for another song (FotD in '05, Hallowed on ME).

Phantom wasn't stand in for Hallowed on the Maiden England tour, Running Free was. Both Phantom and Hallowed were in the setlist to begin with, and the encore was different. I think Run to the Hills was the last song.

Phantom wasn't stand in for Hallowed on the Maiden England tour, Running Free was. Both Phantom and Hallowed were in the setlist to begin with, and the encore was different. I think Run to the Hills was the last song.
Phantom wasn't a part of the original Maiden England or the whole SSOASS tour, so I think it counts as a filler in 2012-2014.

Phantom wasn't a part of the original Maiden England or the whole SSOASS tour, so I think it counts as a filler in 2012-2014.
I just assumed Phantom and ATSS were played to replace Still Life and Infinite Dreams because reasons, but none of those four tracks would I consider filler.

I just assumed Phantom and ATSS were played to replace Still Life and Infinite Dreams because reasons, but none of those four tracks would I consider filler.
Not a filler song quality-wise, but they had to put a long song there to fill the space that Hallowed left.

A review (in English, thankfully) of the Montreal show from last night: https://montrealgazette.com/enterta...den-in-fighting-form-at-montreals-bell-centre

My favourite comment being "While the fashion parade in the arena’s corridors suggested the band could stay afloat purely on its T-shirt sales, it wasn’t iconic graphic design alone that sold out the venue."

The first staff member I encountered at airport security this morning asked me about the show as I was wearing my new t-shirt and told me the press had given it a good review.

I have always said FTGGOG is probably the weakest part of the setlist.

That being said, I'm still stoked as shit to see it live. The song has one of my favorite instrumental sections, and I never thought I'd ever be able to see it live after the AMOLAD tour.

So let it be the song where the casual fans go for a drink/piss run. Not gonna ruin my fun and excitement for it.

I'm on both sides of fence with For the Greater Good. On one hand, holy shit we're seeing a song from a A Matter of Life and Death live. On the other hand, it does mess with the pacing of the set a little bit. It certaintly had power live, but it was nowhere near Sign or Clansman in terms of crowd energy or power. Ultimately, I'm glad and grateful I saw it live and i hope it doesnt get cut (not that it would).

The weird thing is, for me, Greater Good has similar enough dynamics to Sign, Fear, or Clan that it's weird it doesn't get the crowd going. It's got its soft parts, heavy parts, fast parts, melodic parts, etc. To me it's just another 7+ minute great song in the setlist.

The weird thing is, for me, Greater Good has similar enough dynamics to Sign, Fear, or Clan that it's weird it doesn't get the crowd going. It's got its soft parts, heavy parts, fast parts, melodic parts, etc. To me it's just another 7+ minute great song in the setlist.
Maybe it is indeed because it is one too many of the same.

As for me, I find the intro... well, not being a real intro (but rather a way to check if your last two strings are in tune). I would have willingly traded it for two shorter songs or "When the Wild Wind Blows", "Paschendale", "Dance of Death" or "The Talisman", so as to get something from the same decade. But
1) AMOLAD is popular with a sizeable proportion of fans so it makes sense that this album is represented ("The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg" would have made sense too;
2) it fits the setlist thematically (the War & Religion segment)
... which are two reasons the general audience is not necessarily very sensitive to, in my opinion.

Last edited:

I think it's because of the topic. Also, lyrics is written in passive form, some sort of reflections. There is no straightforward story in this song. To my non english speaking ears, it's only constant whining. Sorry.
P.S. Compare how Hallowed is written. There is story, point of view, and so on..

Knowing that Wacken 2020 Festival is sold out with Priest headlining … do you think that Maiden could make a 3rd leg of this tour and postpone the release of the new album to September or October next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back