USA Politics

But Native Americans are of Eurasian ancestry, and population of Eurasia, and everyone else for that matter, is of African ancestry anyway.

The biggest threat to Democrats right now is an ugly primary that drags into the convention for a winning candidate who doesn’t even have a majority of the votes. The sooner the party throws its support behind one candidate, the better. There’s no way the establishment gets behind Bernie and there’s no way the progressive wing gets behind Biden. Warren could be that unifying candidate. She certainly seems more likely than anyone else so far.

Well, it'll be interesting to see what happens at the debates. Interesting to political observers like me, that is. Not interesting to the vast majority of Americans.

This is the sort of thing that can become a campaign killer and knowing Joe Biden, there will be plenty of gaffes to come. I especially don’t understand the skepticism toward Warren in light of Biden’s spotty background. I also maintain that any democrat is perfectly capable of beating Trump, but Biden is easily the riskiest. For many reasons, not the least of which being that after two years of hammering Trump on race relations Dems can’t run someone like Biden.

Another thing about Biden I haven’t mentioned is that he is politically toxic. I don’t think he will have a problem beating Trump, but the midterm following will be critical for democrats and the people that gave Dems victories in 2018 aren’t going to show up under a Biden presidency. I don’t see them winning the senate in 2020 either with Biden at the top of the ticket.

He will also embolden the GOP after four years of bending over for them and will probably have a primary challenger. He is honestly an even worse candidate than Hillary.

Last edited:
This is the sort of thing that can become a campaign killer and knowing Joe Biden, there will be plenty of gaffes to come. I especially don’t understand the skepticism toward Warren in light of Biden’s spotty background. I also maintain that any democrat is perfectly capable of beating Trump, but Biden is easily the riskiest. For many reasons, not the least of which being that after two years of hammering Trump on race relations Dems can’t run someone like Biden.

Another thing about Biden I haven’t mentioned is that he is politically toxic. I don’t think he will have a problem beating Trump, but the midterm following will be critical for democrats and the people that gave Dems victories in 2018 aren’t going to show up under a Biden presidency. I don’t see them winning the senate in 2020 either with Biden at the top of the ticket.

He will also embolden the GOP after four years of bending over for them and will probably have a primary challenger. He is honestly an even worse candidate than Hillary.
That reminded me of this segment from Last Week tonight, comparing Trump scandals with Hillary Scandals:

I wonder how a Biden v. Hillary would look like.

2016 was really Biden’s year. He had an advantage in being part of a fairly popular administration and there was a lot of public sympathy toward him after the death of his son.

It’s interesting, I’m not sure if a viral moment is what candidates need to break out. The only ones that seem to stick are negative (the Jeb Bush moment mentioned several times in the article). I really like what Inslee is doing though and hope he lands a cabinet position, which is ultimately what he’s running for anyway.

Debates start tomorrow night. So who drops out first? I’m thinking Bennet, Gillibrand, and the candidates who couldn’t even qualify for the debate.

I missed the live airing but I'm watching now. I'll post my full reactions later, but a quick reaction to the opening remarks: LOL at Beto. I'm only 5 min in and haven't watched any post game coverage but I'm assuming his campaign is over now right?

I’m watching the after-debate stuff right now. I was impressed a lot by Booker, he grabbed my interest and held it there. I’ve been following Gabbard a bit and I still like her, and Castro was definitely the breakout of the whole night. Warren will probably not lose in popularity but it’s definitely been an interesting night and I’m looking forward to tomorrow.

My thoughts:
  • Ryan and Gabbard are toast.
  • O’Rourke is a lightweight who dodged every question.
  • Delaney came off better than expected, but he’s out of step with today’s Democratic party.
  • DeBlasio is annoying, but he may have butted in and said enough progressive applause lines to help his numbers.
  • Inslee has zero charisma, but he’s defined a lane for himself that may keep him afloat for a while longer.
  • Klobuchar had some mild moments, but at this point I think she’s just running for the VP slot.
  • Castro had some moments of genuine emotion, but overall was a yawner. Also basically running for VP at this point.
  • Booker stood out enough to help his polls. I think he’s a pretty good speaker, but between his bogus tiff with Biden and his fake Spartacus moment from a while back I can’t take him seriously.
  • Warren came off better than I expected. Her shrill, manic schoolteacher vibe is pretty offputting to me, but she seems to have the most passion and substance of the candidates from tonight, and when you listen to her for a while I think you get past that negative first impression. But the Pocahontas nickname stuck, and Trump will beat her to death with it if she gets the nomination.
Out of this batch of 10 I’d prefer Klobuchar or Warren.

Gabbard did shoot herself in the foot by not even addressing the first question put to her, but she came back stronger with the discussions of foreign policy and I don’t think that Ryan is coming back after the ragging she put him through. I wish all of the speakers had more time, honestly, two hours wasn’t enough for me.

Back