NOW WATCHING

Almost done with Pretty Little Liars, started season 6 yesterday. It's 7 season and it FINALLY got really good lol. Same complaint I had with Grey's Anatomy, except here it makes sense. In Grey's Anamoty you had grown adult professionals, DOCTORS actually, acting like high school idiots. Here They actually ARE high school idiots so it's forgivable. But the girls went through some real shit in season 5 and I like how each is displaying their PTSD and traumas. So while the stupid high school drama was excusable, because they are in high school, nothing like some REAL shit to complain about.

Almost done with Pretty Little Liars, started season 6 yesterday. It's 7 season and it FINALLY got really good lol. Same complaint I had with Grey's Anatomy, except here it makes sense. In Grey's Anamoty you had grown adult professionals, DOCTORS actually, acting like high school idiots. Here They actually ARE high school idiots so it's forgivable. But the girls went through some real shit in season 5 and I like how each is displaying their PTSD and traumas. So while the stupid high school drama was excusable, because they are in high school, nothing like some REAL shit to complain about.
I love that show, and I've gone through it twice already. It's silly, dramatic, over the top, and downright shitty at times, but in the end it's all extremely entertaining, and, like you said, it actually has something to say.

The last two seasons are particularly great, if I may say so. The writing improved so much, and the entire thing took a ridiculously dark turn that it felt like another show entirely.

I love that show, and I've gone through it twice already. It's silly, dramatic, over the top, and downright shitty at times, but in the end it's all extremely entertaining, and, like you said, it actually has something to say.

The last two seasons are particularly great, if I may say so. The writing improved so much, and the entire thing took a ridiculously dark turn that it felt like another show entirely.
Also, can we agree that Mona is by far the best character in the show, and arguably the finest one to ever appear in a teen drama?

Also, can we agree that Mona is by far the best character in the show, and arguably the finest one to ever appear in a teen drama?

It is very entertaining as mindless crap goes. I used to make fun of my dad for liking reality TV, but now that I have a million things to focus on as an "adult," I get it. Sometimes you don't want to think too much or at all, lol. PLL hit that sweet spot.

I didn't like the last two seasons, we finally finished it yesterday. I felt the quality came down and the resolution felt too out of nowhere and rushed. It could've ended in 5 seasons. I guess that's what happens when your show is too popular to just cancel ( I'm looking at you Shonda Rimes, fucking call it quits with GA already!).

At any rate, it did feel like a new series altogether. Seeing the last two seasons as a sequel rather than part of the same series was better. It was a tad disappointing how in 2010 (original air date) it was still a thing to stigmatize/stereotype mental illness, adoptions, evil twins, etc. Especially since it is a YA product.

I was especially shocked that the villian, rather than the hero, was a transexual.

Charles/Charlotte's motivations were very well established and played out, but Spencer's "evil twin," Alex literally came out of nowhere, and her reasons were crap.

I loved the titles for the episodes and their play on words or references to other movies, shows, songs, etc. While my GF was obssessed with the fact that the girls never took off their heels, even to run away from eminent danger, I wondered how the hell they had so much clothes! A new outfit, sometimes 3 every episode? Also, who the hell in 2010 watches NOTHING but old black and white movies and listens to old timey music? Again, exclusively? Talk about not having the budget to pay royalties lol.

Tried, couldn't get into it.

Anyway, watched the Pet Cemetery remake. It was a pleasant surprise. I went into it with very low expectations. One, because it is a modern remake and those don't tend to go well, and also because adaptations of Stephen King material is very hit or miss.

I vaguely remember the original, but the few things I remembered were enough for this one to be fresh, enjoyable and surprising.

In the original I remember there was only one kid, their son, not a son and daughter. The son wasn't really talking which is why he flew a under the radar as a demonic ass wipe. One of the criticism of the original movie now-a-days is that "it's just a kid, kick it into next week." Also, it was him that buried his wife and I remember the last scene as him lovingly receiving his demonic zombie wife, kissing her, hugging her and telling her he loves her as she stabs him with the butcher knife. I may be wrong.

In the remake there are two kids and it is a tad freaky how much the boy looks like the boy from the original. The first expectation that got flipped was that it's the older daughter that gets run over, not the boy. The girl is older so not only does it make sense that she is quicker, stronger (due to being a hellspawn), but she taunts, like Regan in The Exorcist, feeding on the characters' regrets and fears.

The second expectation is when she kills the neighbor. The scalpel is back, but this time he kicks the bed to make sure she's not under it and instead gets knifed in the heal as he is walking back down the stairs. While we don't see him die I felt it was more brutal.

Finally the ending is different and much darker in my opinion. Instead of him never learning his lesson after bringing back the cat and then his kid, he still brings back his wife knowing full well she won't be the same. Here he is desperate to kill his daughter and nearly succeeds if it weren't for the fact she had killed and buried the mother earlier in the night. As he is about to kill the daughter he is killed by the wife instead, leaving only the young son, who they left in a locked car (isn't that a crime?), as the only live person left. The movie ends with the happy, reunited zombie family converging on the car.

So it was fun and enjoyable.

I watched American History X last night. Incredible movie, still depressingly relevant. Great use of non linear story telling. Nazi punks fuck off.

Watched SHAZAM. It was a very fun movie, a high production B-movie and it hit all the right notes. Actually hoping for sequels.

Finally saw Man of Steel all the way through. Not as bad as people have made it out to be, but still not a good movie. It was... fine. Sure it's more of an origin story than the original 70's movie, but this whole reluctant hero thing wasn't all that great. Zod being the villian and much more menacing than in Superman II WAS great.

Finally watched the first John Wick film. I was curious to see WHY killing his dog set him off. I was happy to confirm my hunch. The whole, "He went on a killing spree because of the dog," tagline people have been echoing for years is incredibly overly simplistic and quite frankly insulting. I was glad to see it was more emotionally complex than that. Sure, maybe not by much, but it's really about mourning, greiving, love and loss than just about a dog. One down, two to go lol.

Recently binged Avatar: The Last Airbender, between my documentary watching. I have mixed feelings about it. I'm not really into anime. There are a few I've watched and liked. When I was a teen I really enjoyed the tamer, more mainstream stuff like Dragonball Z, Ranma 1/2, Knights of the Zodiac and the football one which in Spanish was called, Super Campeones (super champs). As a young adult to know I like the more mature, yet not necessarily gorey fair. Like Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, Samurai Champloo, Attack on Titan etc.

I'm aware many hardcore Anime fans say that Avatar is NOT an Anime as it was done in the West and not in Asia. I don't think Asian countries have a monopoly on the term or genre, and in many ways it IS an anime, simply with an American spin. In fact, I find it amusing how many Asian Animes take place in a real, exaggerated or alternate version of the West, and this "Western" anime clearly takes place in the East.

I really enjoyed the characters, their journey, their growth and the resolution to their quests and destiny. Very satisfying. I can see why there are so many memes shitting on GOT by comparing it to this show, but I don't agree 100% on that.

My only gripe is that it definitely is an American CARTOON. I don't mean that, because it was originally aired on Nickelodeon (so was Ren and Stimpy). I say it, because it definitely felt more like a Saturday morning cartoon a la G.I. Joe, Original Voltron, TMNT, Thundercats, etc, than a Japanese Anime. What I mean by that is, no blood, WAY too few deaths and even those were normally implied off screen or in a cloud of dust/smoke. You have the classic, "My archers have impecable aim, they NEVER miss!" Two seconds later they attack our heroes and oh surprise, they miss, at most grazing their clothing. I call BULLSHIT. If they never miss, then have them, oh I don't know, NOT MISS! So on many ocassions the fights lacked tension as you knew no real harm would come to our heroes or foes.

On the flip side, on the one ocassion when one of them DOES get truly hurt it feels quite jarring as it is a rare event.

I can see why so many people are obssessed with it, but I guess that just like Pokemon and Yugi Oh, I don't get it, because I was too old for it when it was released or finally watched it. Unlike the other American cartoons I mentioned, though, I would watch this one again.

Avatar is an anime that gets a lot of praise but I simply won't bother to watch it because I have already planned to watch way too many shows.

Back