NOW WATCHING

The last three movies I've watched were all the same length at 2 hours (+/- 1 minute) but from very different periods.

Dead Man (1995)
173a7e2677604734c02ff53ef09d07c7.jpg

Mother! (2017) - I haven't read the Bible so I can't say for sure but it seems to me that Mother! was too strong on the allegory. For a good hour, it kept me on the edge of my seat, ready for jump scares (all of which I managed to dodge) in that weird maze-like house. Then, it started to lose me because never throughout the movie did I feel sorry for any of the fucks who came to their house. It was obvious that the woman was right and the man was wrong in letting the strangers stay there. There was a moment of relief when she got pregnant and he started writing again but I always knew that things would end up bad and that there's no one to root for other than the woman. When things got really fucked up, even hoping for her got stale. Her screaming and pain didn't feel convincing after a while. Pretty good movie overall, kudos for the claustrophobic atmosphere created with the cinematography and to Michelle Pfeiffer for convincingly acting a disgusting bitch, but I wish they had given the viewer more reason to believe the "bad guys", including the husband.
bf4b6490039a3227bee37c14c63fa117.jpg

Citizen Kane (1941)
1a93a19515667db817b09c2332d82ce3.jpg

It does indeed. Have you ever read the book(s)? It's only in the past few years I've even heard of them, don't think they're well-known over here at all.

Nope. I didn't even realise it was based on books, but now that I googled the title, the artwork looks familiar.

Finished watching Wild Wild Country on Netflix.

I was flabberghasted. From age 15 to present I have been fascinated and obssessed with serial killers, mass murderers, cults, etc. Heaven's Gate, Jonestown, Branch Dividians, etc... I know them all well. I was shocked that I had NEVER heard, even in passing, about the Rashnish. It was a HUGE deal from 1980 to 1985. Jonestown was in 78, Waco was in 93. This one was smack in the middle.

Rashneesh was a spiritual leader in India and garnered thousands of followers. What is interesting is that he immidiately raises A LOT of red flags. He's supposed to be a mystic, but he REALLY liked the finer things in life. He had 3 or 4 foundations and a personal BANK, yes an ACTUAL bank, that moved MILLIONS of dollars. He owned 17 Rolls Royce, he wore Rolex watches, etc. Yet his followers wore basic, red, outfits. The reason they decided to move to middle of nowhere Oregon was because the Indian government was investigating them for fraud and other charges pertaining to his foundations and bank.

Aside from that there wasn't anything wrong with their philosophy or way of life. It was shocking to the residents of Antelope, Oregon, an aging, conservative, Christian community. But honestly, nothing objectively wrong. The problem arose when the townsfolk began to pushback, because they felt invaded. Their reaction is fairly normal, you feel threatened, you pushback, the commune, instead of responding with peace and love, in turn pushed right back... and it escalated... quickly.

Fascinating documentary, I'm definitely going to look more into it. So why was it all over the news at a GLOBAL scale in the 80s and then no more?

My opinion, because no one died. It's like Waco done right. People were caught, arrested and jailed. No dramatic shoot out or masss suicide, etc.

Thank you. I personally enjoyed it a lot more than the first one, and I just can't fathom the hate for it. The idea to follow the original movie's idea of a mockumentary and going full-on meta is, in my opinion, brilliant. While not particularly scary, I found it extremely disturbing for what it's supposed to be.

I still prefer the first one but mostly because it didn’t have the studio meddling in and is a more ‘perfect’ / ‘complete’ film because of it. But the sequel works despite the studio’s attempts at sabotage and the plot is genius. The only Blair Witch film I dislike (I include the official three and the fan film The Blair Witch Legacy) is the newest, Blair Witch. That was just pointless and went nowhere. The other three are solid to fantastic.

I can see why one would argue that Blair Witch is pointless, but as someone who didn't like the original film and thought it was outdated, the sequel/remake felt like a welcome addition to the franchise. It's my favorite of the 3 official movies.

Haven't seen Legacy, so I can't give my opinion on that.

I really think that Blair Witch is modern studio wankery that loses sight of what made the original such a great film and is little more intended than providing a nostalgia shot for audiences. The camera work is terrible.

Legacy follows in a lot of what the original film did, but it’s an unofficial release and I suppose that puts it in a different light already, but I liked the way they took similar ideas and did it their own way.

Can't agree with that. I think the overall story was handled very well (even though Ashley's storyline was confusing and a little rushed), and the subtle time loop reveal, I feel, worked perfectly and made for a nice plot twist at the end.

I watched Deadpool 2 last night. Not one of my favourite comic book films, but I thought it was a massive improvement over the first, which I really didn't get the hype behind at all.

I watched Pet Sematary. Average movie, there were good story elements, probably mostly thanks to the original book. The wife’s dead sister’s storyline was the most intriguing and scariest. The ending felt rushed.
Basically everything aftet the daughter’s return was boring. There were emotional moments relating to the relations between family members at various points but as the movie progressed, the initial horror faded away and the lasting impression wasn’t great.

Waiting for Amorphis to hit the stage, should be fun. I like small Mexican venues as there is no opening acts, straight to the big boys.

Watching Sir David Attenborough's Our Planet on Netflix. Having just seen walruses plummeting off a cliff to their deaths I now remember why I hate watching nature documentaries. :(

Back