Metallica

It's interesting that most people here seem to think that Metallica's shows suck nowadays.

On paper they do. When you're actually there three rows from the barrier it's a completely different story however. Probably the best thing I've ever seen

I stopped being interested in them since they started to crying for the grammy that Jethro Tull won.

It was Metallica's. Always should have been

yep, but they didn't need to cry everywhere for that. Altough because of that, they got more popularity. I meant to the Grammy.

Last edited:
I’ve seen two Metallica shows. Both were in the nosebleeds and both were fucking awesome.

Was Lars shit? Yeah. Was the show really coordinated and was James playing a character? Yeah. But it still ruled.

yep, but they didn't need to cry everywhere for that. Altough because of that, they got more popularity. I meant to the Grammy.
Metallica basically has never acknowledged the incident since then. They put a "Grammy Award LOSERS" sticker on copies of AJFA to cover up for the record company having already made copies with a "Grammy Award Winner" sticker on it and that's about it. It seems more like everyone else still remembers the incident, considering how Metallica immediately won the Grammy multiple years in a row for basically nothing (the One single and their cover of Queen's Stone Cold Crazy) and then got invited back to play at the awards ceremony in 1992 when they won "for real".

To the people calling out AJFA for not being Grammy-worthy or whatever, well that's just your opinion, man. It sold and reviewed incredibly well at the time and the Grammy Awards have always been a popularity contest more so than anything else. It was nominated, and it really should've won based on the competition. Jethro Tull really shouldn't have been nominated under the same category to begin with.

AJFA is the worst of the Metallica thrash albums. It's highly repetitive, and just drones on and on.
One is the only great song on that album
It's their best 80s album. Songs like Dyers Eve and The Frayed Ends of Sanity are amazing. I don't find it repetitive at all.

It's their best 80s album. Songs like Dyers Eve and The Frayed Ends of Sanity are amazing. I don't find it repetitive at all.
Master of Puppets is by far their best
Then Kill 'em all, then Ride the lightening.
AJFA is quite a distance behind these.

And then its all drastically down hill from there.

I don't find it repetitive at all.
Overall, the songs have very little guitar or vocal melodies, just a weak sounding, almost indistinguishable bunch of distorted "chords" creating a rhythm, the rhythm pattern of each song is short and is repeated over and over ad nauseaum. There is no bass.

The solos are good though and give a welcome break from the droning rhythm.

I understand sales were good, and this was probably due to MoP capturing a fan base that was then looking forward to the next album.

Last edited:
Back