Sabaton

I think the guitar sound on Bismarck and Fields off Verdun is greatly improved, but that matches up with my opinion of them live too since adding Tommy. Quite frankly, he's a better guitarist than Thobbe. I am of the opinion that a lot of the blandness of the past two albums was caused by 1) the newness of most of the band giving more power to the simpler concepts that I think are favoured by Pår, and 2) those musicians being not as talented (specifically the guitars).

Bismarck is very audibly laden with callbacks to CoA/AoW era Sabaton, and that's a very positive thing. The album release will tell us if there's more interesting things happening.

I think the guitar sound on Bismarck and Fields off Verdun is greatly improved, but that matches up with my opinion of them live too since adding Tommy. Quite frankly, he's a better guitarist than Thobbe. I am of the opinion that a lot of the blandness of the past two albums was caused by 1) the newness of most of the band giving more power to the simpler concepts that I think are favoured by Pår, and 2) those musicians being not as talented (specifically the guitars).

Bismarck is very audibly laden with callbacks to CoA/AoW era Sabaton, and that's a very positive thing. The album release will tell us if there's more interesting things happening.

Tommy is a ludicrously better guitarist than Thobbe and a far superior singer. I honestly hope that he gains more creative control in the band and starts writing more complicated riffs while also providing some high backing vocals.

Tommy is a ludicrously better guitarist than Thobbe and a far superior singer. I honestly hope that he gains more creative control in the band and starts writing more complicated riffs while also providing some high backing vocals.
I agree with you completely. I'm also excited for what he does with his own band, which has been renamed Majestica.

I'll likely have to order a couple Sabaton shirts shortly.

Good on the band for helping out.

There's a new song on Spotify guys - it's 'The Red Baron'. Like 'Fields of Verdun', it's quite upbeat with a bunch of rhyming in the chorus. High, eye, die, sky. There's some pretty cheesey keyboard throughout the song, such that it feels like a 70s Prog Rock song at times.

Here’s the lyric video:

I’m not really enthralled by this one. Like Wiz says, the keyboard is pretty cheesy and does feel like it’s an attempt to herald back to the ‘70s. As a whole I think it sounds like Sabaton just doing Sabaton, which would be fine if it was interested, but for a song about the Red Baron, this one feels like they’re asleep at the wheel. The sort of song you’d expect to find on a b-side to a single. Shame, but hopefully there will be songs to match the sort of quality that Bismarck and Fields Of Verdun were able to reach.

Back