GAMES DISCUSSION - submissions welcome!

Opeth referendum?

• Total voters
As much as I would be intrigued by such a survivor, and have been meaning to listen to them, it's hard to justify a survivor for only two albums.

I'm interested in running a Scorpions discography survivor if there is interest. And a Myles Kennedy catalogue songs run, but that would need to wait until the new AB record comes out

It is now time to prepare Metal Essentials II! The game will cover the period between 1976 to 1979. I have gone through various suggestions and the Yearly Metal Project thread to put a list together. The original list had 50 albums. For this game, I will be allowing 16. Here's what I got for a preliminary list. Let me know if there are any blasphemous omissions or if an album does not belong.
  1. Aerosmith - Rocks
  2. Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune
  3. Rainbow - Rising
  4. Rush - 2112
  5. Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
  6. Judas Priest - Sin After Sin
  7. Queen - News of the World
  8. Kiss - Alive II
  9. Judas Priest - Stained Class
  10. Van Halen - Van Halen
  11. Motorhead - Overkill
  12. Scorpions - Lovedrive
  13. UFO - Strangers In the Night
  14. AC/DC - Highway To Hell
  15. Cheap Trick - At Budokan
  16. Saga - Images At Twilight
I'm trying to go for variety in both music and popularity. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective), there are so many heavy hitting classics from this time period that there wasn't much room for more obscurities. I tried to stick for one album per band but I am going to allow two for Priest, possibly two for Rush, Van Halen, or AC/DC. Like I said, I'm open to suggestions.

I’d suggest Let there be rock instead of highway to hell but the list looks really good
I went with Highway to Hell for popularity but I’m open to suggestions from any AC/DC experts on here. My personal favorite is Dirty Deeds.

I went with Highway to Hell for popularity but I’m open to suggestions from any AC/DC experts on here. My personal favorite is Dirty Deeds.

While Highway to Hell is a close 2nd from the 70s Let There Be Rock is the one that broke the band open in North America. That being said Highway To Hell is an amazing album as well

Last edited:
I'm interested in running a Scorpions discography survivor if there is interest. And a Myles Kennedy catalogue songs run, but that would need to wait until the new AB record comes out
About 5 people would take part in a Scorpions survivor and, with eighteen albums, it would take so long that the few people who were interested would give up. I don't think enough people care about survivors anymore.

Number of songs is tbd and may vary depending on the pairings. I’m working on revising the rules for this game. I could probably combine two of the Rush albums for this game.

Back