UK Politics

You're not seeing that half of the country that doesn't have stiff upper lip culture, and, in fact, despises all that stands for. ;)

Fair enough, but the proportion of people with a stiff upper lip culture in this sceptered isle is significantly larger than elsewhere. ;)

Well, nothing except the one square mile.

Brexit bores the tits off me. Its a bit like speculation on the new Maiden album; we know something will happen but we really don't know when or what form it will take. There is much inane prattle around the issue and many experts who claim to know what will happen. And every now and again we get thrown a bone that is worthy of conversation but 5mins later we realise that it isn't that excitin but we are hooked anyway.
I look at it like this; Brexit will happen before the next Maiden album but the next Maiden album will be better value than Brexit.

Philip Hammond (Chancellor) on BBC today:
Theresa May's Brexit deal will not return to the Commons this week unless it has support from the DUP and Tory MPs, the chancellor says.
Philip Hammond told the BBC's Andrew Marr that it would only be put to MPs if "enough of our colleagues and the DUP are prepared to support it".
Mr Hammond said they did not have the numbers "yet" to secure Mrs May's deal, adding: "It is a work in progress".
But he warned that, even with the DUP's support, a "short extension" would be needed to pass legislation in Parliament, adding that it was now "physically impossible" for the UK to leave the EU on 29 March
Still be interesting to see what May/Hammond etc will do if, upon asking for an extension, the EU says "no".

_106022263_brexit_flowchart_article_50_v3_640-nc.png

“She reminds me occasionally of that character from Monty Python where all the arms and legs are cut off but he then tells the opponent: ‘Let’s call it a draw.’ She’s incredible. She goes on and on. At the same time, I do not blame her, but British politics.”

- Dutch Prime Minister, Benedict Cumberbatch, on Theresa May​

:D

tumblr_mqwep6KBbA1stpdklo1_500.gif

Bercow speaks!
The amusing thing is that Bercow can actually refuse to allow her to bring her deal back for another vote assuming there is nothing substantially different; he can do that. The constitution would literally be rocking if he decides to do that though.
Cried called it. It ain't that amusing though...

Last edited:
The amusing thing is that Bercow can actually refuse to allow her to bring her deal back for another vote assuming there is nothing substantially different; he can do that. The constitution would literally be rocking if he decides to do that though.

I think Bercow has a point. Why have a third vote on a deal that has already been rejected by Parliament twice? May's strategy has backfired.

Theresa is writing to the EU to request an extension until the end of June with an option for a longer extension. Michel Barnier and others, including the Irish Foreign Minister, have said that there needs to be a concrete reason for delaying the exit process. However, one of the BBC's journalists at Brussels says that when the leaders of the other EU countries get together to discuss this they will have to bear in mind that they may be seen to facilitate a No Deal Brexit by voters and businesses then it might not go well for them. An extension until the end of June gives me more time to stockpile and allow Parliament to pass the additional legislation before editing, but I doubt it will help the government get a deal through. A long extension probably leads to a General Election which might not solve anything.

Well, it seems that there would be no deal after all:

Brexit: EU says short delay is possible if MPs back deal

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47636011

How do Tusk et al think the British public will see this attempt at forcing MPs to vote in favour of a deal that they have already voted down twice?

Oh the amount of money that could have been saved by planning for this outcome for the last 2 years instead of going round in circles playing petty politics games at both sides of the Channel!

The MPs are the ones playing games. The deal isn't being voted down because of the contents of the deal except for by maybe the ERG and the DUP. Labour, SNP, Welsh nationalists, Lib Dems and others are voting against it for party political reasons, or for pie in the sky hope that it will lead to a second referendum.

Hard to see how the EU played any games at all.

Back