UK Politics

Could not agree more, there is some line for sure ... but I will not go to your establishment because I disagree with you is stupid beyond belief. Only reason I have ever boycotted an eatery (for example) is because I did not like their food or service .. because really that is all I am looking for there, food .. not validation
Yes, I would not boycott someone because they support a different political party. Outright bigotry is my line. If someone is anti-gay/racist/etc then I can see the need to not give them money.

The amendment calling for an extension to the leaving process has been rejected. Most Labour MPs abstained (in spite of their policy of seeking a second referendum) and 331 MPs rejected the amendment. It appears that there is no majority for a second referendum.

The amendment calling for an extension to the leaving process has been rejected. Most Labour MPs abstained (in spite of their policy of seeking a second referendum) and 331 MPs rejected the amendment. It appears that there is no majority for a second referendum.

Does that mean it is pretty much exit with no deal or a 3rd(?) vote on the deal on the table and the exit happens on schedule (deal or no) ... or are there more extension votes coming today?

More extension votes on the way right now. MPs are voting on amendments to the government's motion about a short extension to do the paperwork.

Gotcha .. thanks. The first vote was for a second referendum then?

Found it streaming on YouTube ... watching now. No clue who any of these people are, but interesting.

So...March 29th or bust.
I think that is for the best ... if it were a case where there were some minor disagreements on some points that could realistically resolved, a delay would make sense. But that does not seem to be the case .. better to rip off the band-aid, get it over with .. and out of necessity both the UK and EU can negotiate smaller deals and the UK could probably get a better deal because then the EU would be sharing some of the pain

The amendment calling for parliamentary business to be taken out of government's hands next week has been rejected by two votes. Now voting on Jeremy Corbyn's amendment, whatever that is.

It's not 29th or bust I don't think. May is simply clinging on to control rather than have Parliament dictate to her; provided she keeps lossing/winning these in her favour she can still keep making these decisions herself. She's already basically said it's a small technical extension if her deal goes through (on a third or even fourth asking) or a pretty long delay (her "fuck you" response I think) if her deal fails; it looks like she's going to ask for a delay in either scenario. The amusing thing is that Bercow can actually refuse to allow her to bring her deal back for another vote assuming there is nothing substantially different; he can do that. The constitution would literally be rocking if he decides to do that though.

Last edited:
Yip, they've just voted to extend:
MPs have voted in favour of the government's motion to extend Article 50 and delay Brexit beyond 29 March.

The government will now seek permission from the EU to delay Brexit beyond this point.

The motion states that Article 50 will be extended until 30 June, if MPs approve the prime minister's deal by 20 March.

If an agreement on a deal is not reached by the 20 March, the government will seek a more substantial extension, but the EU would have to agree to this and set the terms.

Three extra months if her deal is approved. Basically just to pass legislation. There isn't currently enough time to do that i.e. Parliament hasn't passed all the laws it needs to exit yet.

Today I understood that the European elections are not per se a big deal for the UK. The UK does not need to care about the European elections, it is more about being represented or not. Breaching some rule, that is not as important as doing things probably in the upcoming months. So, the UK (or anyone on this board) does not need to be intimidated by European elections. It's uncharted territory.

I don't think anyone is intimidated by the elections, it seems odd voting people to a body they will be leaving ... but that seems to be more of a concern the EU has raised, not the UK

It was raised by both politicians in the UK and the EU. The opposite: not caring about EU developments (other than Brexit-related-negotiations/contacts) sounds like a good idea now.

Back