These Colours Don't Run

How good is These Colours Don't Run on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A muted lead gains some melancholy accompaniment before kicking up a notch into a slower-tempo rock groove. The rhythm seems a bit sloppy here. This breaks into a bright verse and a pretty strong pre-chorus, followed by a strong, soaring chorus.

Another round of verse through chorus and then we get an extended interlude with some "Childhood's-End"-style thin guitar leads punctuated by a couple of pretty good solos, then a strong "whoah-oh" section, before returning to the chorus and closing out on an intro reprise.

Very solid throughout, but doesn't quite rise to the level of greatness. 7/10.

"These Colours Don't Run" is one of the three least good songs on the album, yet it's an integral part of the overall makeup, as it changes things up after the opener and feels more similar to what's to come. It isn't perfect, but it's quite strong and a pretty important song. 7

7/10. While not the best song on the album, the listening experience would be incomplete without it. I've found I don't really bother to listen to this song much, but within the album I can't skip it. It's got nice heavy parts and cool harmony parts, but suffers from not being at the same level as the two song which surround it.

Amazing song with a perfect length! Haunting intro starts this song which is a song that you cannot mistake from which album it is. Great drums from Nicko, the verses are very strong. Anthemic (golden) chorus. The lyrics are really good too. Nice melodic riffs, the solos are good and support the song well, but the triple-lead guitar harmonies are a real jewel and the oah-oah part fits just right. The gong at the end of the song is a good addition. When you listen to this song you can imagine going into a war. Essential Maiden song. 10/10.

Last edited:
Nobody here is saying that the song has zero chances of coming back, Kalata. It just isn't as likely as the other two songs already mentioned, precisely because of what Kid said, according to several patterns the band seem to have been following regarding 21st century material.

Nobody here is saying that the song has zero chances of coming back, Kalata. It just isn't as likely as the other two songs already mentioned, precisely because of what Kid said, according to several patterns the band seem to have been following regarding 21st century material.

Ok, but Wildest Dreams instead of Rainmaker (in 2010) was a odd to me. Every short rocker has a chance to return in the following setlists - from TBOS it will be probably DOG.

How the hell does this connect to the previous discussion?

My point was that every short rocker (from the reunion albums) has a good chance to return to the setlist one day and Different World is not a exception IMO.

So you'd say they could be playing "The Fallen Angel" again in the future? It sure ticks your boxes.

No, that's not how Maiden setlists work (un)fortunately. Songs like "Different World" and "Rainmaker" were never played outside of their respective album tours, and it's not very likely that they'll ever be. Again: nobody said "Different World" has no chances of ever appearing in a Maiden setlist again. The point was that it was not as likely to appear as "These Colours Don't Run" and "The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg".

Yeah, I'd say that every reunion era track that they haven't played this decade is pretty much dead and buried now. FTGGOG was an exception fortunately. I can't see anything from TFF returning either. I would love to hear "Different World" or "Rainmaker" but they seem really unlikely choices.

So you'd say they could be playing "The Fallen Angel" again in the future? It sure ticks your boxes.

No, that's not how Maiden setlists work (un)fortunately. Songs like "Different World" and "Rainmaker" were never played outside of their respective album tours, and it's not very likely that they'll ever be. Again: nobody said "Different World" has no chances of ever appearing in a Maiden setlist again. The point was that it was not as likely to appear as "These Colours Don't Run" and "The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg".

Yeah, maybe TCDR and TROBB have better chances than Different World (or BTATS) to return, because they have been played in 2010.... but my example with Wildest Dreams was that it is a short rocker and it was played again after the Dance Of Death tour and Rainmaker was more likely to return - NML, DOD and Paschendale were not a surprise. The Fallen Angel do not have a big chance, because it was played live only 4 times, if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, any songs from AMOLAD will be well welcomed again in the setlist.

It would have been interesting to hear this song as a ''big ballad'' (as Adrian said in the AMOLAD documentary, the song first started as a ballad)....

The original version of CIPWM was also a ballad.

Will he ever write a ballad?... :p

Last edited:
Back