Bruce Dickinson

The best Bruce showoff vids are (in no particular order):

-Tears Of The Dragon (Marquee 1994)
-Tears Of The Dragon (w Tribuzy)
-Remember Tomorrow (Ullevi 2005)
-Revelations (Ullevi 2005)
-Where Eagles Dare (Ullevi 2005)

I think that the 2005 Ullevi concert is probably one of the best concerts Bruce ever sang with Maiden. The fact that it wasn't released as a DVD is a crime.

There's no video of studio A/ marquee which is sad because it's awesome live. I didn't count those.
I would definitely put 22 Acacia Avenue from Dortmund 1983 there. Also Remember Tomorrow was a tad bit better at RaR 2005. Revelations was top on F666 and it was top on Sonisphere 2014.

Something from AoB tour also - like Dark side of Aquarius.

There's no video of studio A/ marquee which is sad because it's awesome live. I didn't count those.
I would definitely put 22 Acacia Avenue from Dortmund 1983 there. Also Remember Tomorrow was a tad bit better at RaR 2005. Revelations was top on F666 and it was top on Sonisphere 2014.

Something from AoB tour also - like Dark side of Aquarius.

RaR 2005 is worse than Ullevi vocally. RaR sounds forced, while Ullevi sounds natural. This is ost obvious at the end of the song.

I agree that Revelations from F666 is on the similar level. But 2014 was way, way worse (well, every song sounded tired in 2014). I'd say in terms of Revelations vocally, I would rate them 2005-2008-2018-2003-2014. in that order.

Also, speaking of 22AA, the version from RaR 2003 is amazing vocally. That MAADNEEEEEEEES scream is perfect. I prefer it to Dortmund.

Edit: Listened to both 22AA's and the RaR 2003 version is far superior to the 1983 Dortmund one.

The scale run at the "we all go" at Dortmund in unsurpassed and possibly the most pitch accurate full chest scale run he ever did, one other that comes to mind is Killing Floor, and the insanely fun end of BYDTTS mid section that sounded like a kazoo at a show from 1992/3. I wasn't going so much for the voice in perfect condition bits, but something that shows more vocal finesse than his usual metal yell. In that context, "tears for somebody" line on RaR 2005 has a certain Sinatraesque feel.

In any case there's Rock in Rio and there's En Vivo which are far better candidates for vocal review than LAD or Maiden England.

Bruce since the reunion is a completely different beast vocally.
Checking some old and new RTTH performances is enough for one to understand these crucial differences. This argument that bands get worse as they get older is a stereotypical one, which is not applicable in any way to Bruce. The reviewer guy probably relied on this stereotype while choosing something from Maiden England.

I believe it was recommended to him by someone he knew and trusted. Once he heard the feedback, he opted to do some research and picked one of the best sounding performances from recent years to judge by and well, yeah.

Incidentally, he also did an analysis on Dio and had basically no complaints. I wouldn't quite say he was floored but he was getting there by the end.

I accidentally opened this setlist (info is from setlist.fm) from Bruce (27 June 1990) and the only encore of the concert (being the last song of the set) is The Trooper.... :confused:

I thought that he never performed this song live with his solo band.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bruce-dickinson/1990/astoria-theatre-london-england-7bdf3ab0.html

The rest of Maiden joined Bruce and Janick for a rendition of The Trooper at this show.
It was their first live performance as Iron Maiden with their new guitarrist Janick Gers, buddy.

Last edited:
The rest of Maiden joined Bruce and Janick for The Trooper at this show. It was their first live performance as Iron Maiden with their new guitarrist Janick Gers, buddy.

Thanks for the info, buddy.

EDIT: That show was recorded along with a Priest show (Painkiller Tour) in 1990 and released as a bootlegged split live album.

Last edited:
He looks old. The "mad professor" look does him no favour in that regard.
52008504_624719261314319_8088260279860723712_n.jpg

Back