Metallica

I see Death Magnetic similarly to how some people see Maiden's recent albums, good songs, but waaaay too long. Day That Never Comes and All Nightmare Long are particular offenders. Love Judas Kiss and Cyanide however, some of my favourite Metallica riffs in those two.
I think as well that Death Magnetic is easily comparable to modern Maiden albums. The songwriting is awesome and in my opinion, the songs are NOT too long.

I'll be interested in hearing what you think about Fixxxer, it is one of the best Metallica songs and I don't know which I like better: The Outlaw Torn or Fixxxer.

Also about Hardwired to Send Destruct, ManUNKind seems to be disliked and I think it's beautiful beyond the intro.
I love Fixxxer, it's Metallica's ATG. Hardcore fans love it and want it to be played live finally. ManUNking is very cool too.

I see Death Magnetic similarly to how some people see Maiden's recent albums, good songs, but waaaay too long. Day That Never Comes and All Nightmare Long are particular offenders. Love Judas Kiss and Cyanide however, some of my favourite Metallica riffs in those two.
I agree about Judas and Cyanide they are very delicious riff songs. I also agree that All Nightmare Long is long (but The End of the Line is the too long one maybe you got confused),

But The Day That Never Comes is for sure just the right length and it rocks, I'll be the first to say Day's solo views One's out of the water.

Also read Cyanide lyrics, they are very good. I love the concrete angel part.

My thing with him is that the heavier and faster stuff the band had been doing on the previous albums meant that while he could often keep up, his drum style wasn't as interesting as, say, Nicko or Lombardo. On occasion it almost fell flat. He used his style of drumming to bring out the heaviness on The Black Album but on this release I think he succeeds best because it's a new style of music better fitting for his drumming techniques. I actually think it sounds really good.
I sort of can see your point here; it's definitely true that especially on the first three albums Lars just kind of keeps up but does nothing particularly interesting. I wouldn't agree with that for AJFA however because he's tight as hell on that album and consistently produces interesting fills to break things up without overdoing it. I do feel like the lack of a ride or any real dynamics on the hi-hat really hurt the liveliness of his drumming, though. Their cover of Breadfan almost sounds interesting in comparison just because of the quiet middle section.

But, on Load, I largely agree, it's some of his finest drumming to date. The dynamics are there, the fills are there and he's right in the groove when he needs to be. It's not super creative drumming (probably the most interesting beats he achieves are the quiet section in Until It Sleeps, the quiet section in Thorn Within and the main beat with the china in The Outlaw Torn) but he nails every fill and delivers a rock solid performance overall. The one thing that's still not there is the hi-hat dynamics but that's to be expected by this point.

As an aside, I'd also make the claim that Lars was at his most solid live in the 1996-2000 period too, because his tempos were perfectly in control, he executed fills with finesse and without overdoing it or relying too heavily on just the snare or the china, and he just plain didn't make all that many mistakes. Songs like Fade to Black also demonstrated the much needed hi-hat dynamics he was missing on the albums. Sure, it was all a bit Rock Drumming 101 thanks to the song choices (not all that many high speed thrashers in this period) but he was definitely solid, far more so than before or after.

As an aside, I'd also make the claim that Lars was at his most solid live in the 1996-2000 period too

The groove he kept on Ride The Lightning the song on Cunning Stunts was awesome. Yeah, he's been on point in that period, and on S&M he's 95% of the time a real professional (I think he still goes off tempo on certain moments)

On first listen: Reload is bookended by two pretty great songs, and the rest... well... it varies. A lot of it feels like, instead of Load Pt.II, it’s the scraps of the first album left off because they weren’t good enough. I really hope it grows.

The groove he kept on Ride The Lightning the song on Cunning Stunts was awesome. Yeah, he's been on point in that period, and on S&M he's 95% of the time a real professional (I think he still goes off tempo on certain moments)
Funnily enough, I think he actually did a better job on the Kill/Ride medley in 1995 than in 1997. He was bit more energetic with his footwork, although admittedly perhaps more stilted in delivery here and there. Also the double bass section of Fight Fire With Fire doesn't have the annoying china spam. Overall though I agree. S&M is a particular high point, apart from the occasional Lars-ism (speeding up here and there, mostly during changes and fills like on Puppets and For Whom the Bell Tolls).

On first listen: Reload is bookended by two pretty great songs, and the rest... well... it varies. A lot of it feels like, instead of Load Pt.II, it’s the scraps of the first album left off because they weren’t good enough. I really hope it grows.
This is not a particularly uncommon opinion even among people who like the Load era material. I barely listen to Reload simply because there's just not that many truly good songs on there. Fuel has been largely tainted by overexposure since they play it way too much live, but Fixxxer I still rate highly.

I basically feel the same way about Reload that I feel about Load: "Fuel" and "The Memory Remains" are the only songs I consistently go back to. There are some others (such as "Fixxxer") which were interesting, but came on too late in the album, when I was just fed up and counting the minutes for it to end. For now, I have no interest in going back to it.

The good stuff on Reload works even better with a second listen, but man, most of this album just really pisses me off.

Reload is mostly crappy album in my books. I feel that the songs that are good are great such as Fuel or The Unforgiven 2 but the rest is just crap unessecary filler, Low Man's Lyric is one of the worst things I've ever heard

Back