Raising Hell video [1993]

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
I'm curious to know what are your thoughts about this concert, guys ?

I think it's a great show. Very good performance form the band and the magics were kinda fun to watch. Bruce has his most metal look there and the setlist included 1 song per album (back then).... well, I would have replaced ''From Here To Eternity'' with ''Wasting Love'' - all other songs are great, like a best of from every album. My only complaint is: why you play a instrumental song (''Transylvania'') on Bruce's last concert, duh.... Anyway, this video needs to be re-released on DVD.

The whole video is 1 hour and 53 minutes long, but if we cut the magics, then the length of the concert would drop significantly... unusually short for Maiden standards (approx. 1 hour and 20 minutes). Death On The Road concert is 1 hour and 34 minute long.

Oh, does somebody notice TWM riff (during one of the magic tricks) right before the start of 2MTM. This riff is also used in ''Futureal'' under the pre-chorus.

I taped it from the TV when it was on originally, and watched it quite often back in the day. The camera angles on the TV broadcast etc. were different from the DVD so it always seems weird to me now when watching the DVD when watching it now.

I always loved the Hallowed gallows, I'm glad Bruce brought back a new take of it for this tour.

There were some neat, added ideas in the stage show to underline the special value of the show and I think that Bruce delivers some of the songs very, very well, at least in 1993 standards; while he's undoubtedly as fed up with Maiden as one can be at that point, it also seems that he genuinely wants to give fans a good final show and be done with it. Slightly more sophisticated production when compared to the Real Live/Dead One stuff is another factor that makes these performances enjoyable enough to listen, even if they're not that outstanding in general. It sill sounds a tad bit too muddy, but as said, sounds good enough. If they gave the Donington show and this one a heavy re-edit they would make an appropriate companion to History document part 4, should they ever release that kind of thing anyway.

I have the DVD. I wish there was an option to automatically skip the lame magic segments. They're okay to watch one time, but after that I just want to see Maiden.

I really like this version of Maiden, and this is the only DVD we have of them, which is a shame.

Well... the magic numbers are a bit too cheesy (though I think that's the point) and too long. Other than that it's a cool concert... and though we are releaved of things like Wasting Love It's mind blowing how they play crap like From Here To Eternity instead of a classic like Wasted Years (or almost anything else).

It's mind blowing how they play crap like From Here To Eternity instead of a classic like Wasted Years (or almost anything else).

The answer to that one is easy. One is a song by Steve, the other one isn't.

How many pre-1992 songs not credited to Steve did they play when Blaze was fronting the band? ;)

unusually short for Maiden standards (approx. 1 hour and 20 minutes)
Well, the concept of the concert itself was unusual for Maiden. ;)

Oh, does somebody notice TWM riff (during one of the magic tricks) right before the start of 2MTM. This riff is also used in ''Futureal'' under the pre-chorus.
Come on, his riff has probably appeared on a different record once every two years since 1979. :D

Anyway, Raising Hell is very special to me. I admit the magic trick are a bit cheesy, but I discovered the VHS when it was released -I was 13- so I was not as picky as now. Besides, the setlist is enjoyable -though "The Clairvoyant" doesn't really fit so early in the show for some reason- and the less magic-heavy bit between "BYDTTS" and "Iron Maiden" just flies by in a second.

I have this on DVD. It’s a small round disc with digitally encoded data that, when decoded in the proper optical drive shows a weirdly staged Iron Maiden show with a ghastly magic show that makes the Great Jonathan look like Criss Angel.

The songs and performance are good. But I can’t get over that it’s a staged show at Pinewood studios and not a “real concert”.

I like it but don't necessarily love it - It's certainly a one off in the Maiden catalogue and the performances are pretty good overall. And Bruce looks pretty damn cool too.

Riddle me this; Setlist FM has 2 nights at Pinewood. Wrong facts or real facts? I assume Wrong.
In terms of the show itself, it was certainly an event in my house when it was on BBC2 and I watched the VHS recording (plus the official one) many times but not once in the last 20 years. T'is a curio, nothing more, nothing less.
I think the inclusion of Transylvania is a 2 fingered salute to Bruce (as it was on the proper tour). You could probably put From Here To Eternity in that bracket, too. Really, they should have played the likes of Powerslave and Revelations. I have no doubt that Bruce suggested them and was told to get fucked. Just right. I'd say it was Harris at his most belligerent, in terms of the setlist.

Well... the magic numbers are a bit too cheesy (though I think that's the point) and too long. Other than that it's a cool concert... and though we are releaved of things like Wasting Love It's mind blowing how they play crap like From Here To Eternity instead of a classic like Wasted Years (or almost anything else).
Is it mind blowing? Fear of the Dark was their latest album and still it was the most underplayed album. Less than half of the songs saw the stage: an all time record.

Bruce was not in a position (and probably did not want to be in such a position) to decide the setlist for this show. After all, the band did not quit. Bruce was leaving (and he pissed off the rest). There probably was not enough will or need to come up with a different setlist from the rest of the tour.

You could probably put From Here To Eternity in that bracket, too. Really, they should have played the likes of Powerslave and Revelations.
Word. Not only are those TRUE CLASSICS but 1993 they hadn't been played since the World Slavery Tour (8 years!).

Last edited:
I have this on DVD. It’s a small round disc with digitally encoded data that, when decoded in the proper optical drive shows a weirdly staged Iron Maiden show with a ghastly magic show that makes the Great Jonathan look like Criss Angel.
:okok::okok::okok:

1. Download from YouTube
2. Edit with Windows Movie Maker. ;)

...3. Re-upload the edited video on YouTube and become half the world's population's best friend! :D
Yup... there's a guy that uploaded an orchestra muted version of Metallica's S&M (I think that's one of the DVD features). Props to this man because although 2/3 of S&M is really cool the orchestra part is one of the worst adaptations I've ever heard on a Rock album.

Back