365 Albums In One Year

prog rock
I like it. Rush and Floyd and so forth are pretty cool. King Crimson will probably pop up around here sometime.

I honestly haven't heard much from this genre, but I'm definitely not against it by any means.

When done right, I love it. I've only heard two full albums from the genre (Eminem's Marshall Mathers LP and Kendrick's To Pimp A Butterfly) but both were great.

Right, then.

Prog

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King, Red
Wishbone Ash - Argus
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky
Marillion - Script for a Jester's Tear

Synthpop

Peter Gabriel - So
Depeche Mode - Black Celebration, Violator
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
Talk Talk - It's My Life, The Colour of Spring

Hiphop

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
GZA - Liquid Swords
Method Man - Tical
A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm

Check out Diseased's As The Weird Travel on album. It's like Maiden mixed with thrash/death, but not in a Gothenburg melodeath way.

Oh? Should I direct you to some Taylor Swift? Lorde, maybe? :p
The only Lorde song I've liked is "Royals". Taylor Swift is pretty cool for modern pop, maybe I'll do a full album.

Check out Diseased's As The Weird Travel on album. It's like Maiden mixed with thrash/death, but not in a Gothenburg melodeath way.
Nice, I'll shuffle it in.

Taylor Swift is pretty cool for modern pop, maybe I'll do a full album.
If so, you should do 1989. Not only is it a great pop album filled with huge hits ("Blank Space", "Shake It Off" and "Bad Blood", plus some lesser ones like "Welcome to New York", "Style" and "Wildest Dreams"), but also (as the title implies) a nice throwback to the 1980s pop scene. It was the album that got me into her, and was my favorite of hers until reputation came along in 2017, but for peripheral fans I'd say 1989 is a much easier and more digestible listen.

Last edited:
Tarja's Last Bow; aka, Once Upon A Tuomas.

NIGHTWISH - ONCE
Nighwish-Once-Album-Cover.jpg

Album 12/365

Tracks:

1. "Dark Chest Of Wonders" - A much heavier kind of metal, this. Not sure I like this approach as much, but it's got a good chorus. 8/10
  2. "Wish I Had An Angel" - This one is even more aggressive than the previous one. I don't really like Tarja's quieter vocals as much as her high notes. Marco's chorus isn't that great. It's decent but not as good as anything on the previous album. 7/10
  3. "Nemo" - It's the first song I ever heard from Nightwish, and goddammit it's still as good as the day I first heard it. Everything in this one is perfect, and it rivals all the other 10s from the past two albums. Love it. 10/10
  4. "Planet Hell" - Alright Marco, it was cool the first time, but please stop singing. Without him I may have gone higher in my score, because it's actually quite a decent song. I just wish Tarja was the only one on vocals. 8/10
  5. "Creek Mary's Blood" - I guess there's a lot of controversy over the alleged Lakota bit in here? Otherwise, Nightwish have definitely upped their epic songwriting. This one does a lot more with music than it does with words and I like it. Not quite as good as "Beauty of the Beast" but it's pretty great still. 9/10
  6. "The Siren" - Holy shit, this riff is awesome. If ever there was a person who could play the role of a siren, it's Tarja, and damn does she sound amazing on this track. Ugh, goddammit Marco, shut up. Without him, this song could've easily knocked it out of the park, but alas, it's only almost perfect. 9/10
  7. "Dead Gardens" - Pretty great song, though the middle piece isn't perfect and the ending goes on for a bit too long. Otherwise it's almost perfect. 9/10
  8. "Romanticide" - This was pretty great until it went into that faster bit, which isn't bad but at the same time isn't quite what I wanted to hear. 8/10
  9. "Ghost Love Score" - Nightwish's most bombastic epic yet has an ending so good it's amazing, but the path their isn't quite perfect. Maybe it'll grow on me. 9/10
  10. "Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan" - Hey, another song in Finnish! This one is pretty good but doesn't quite knock it out of the ballpark for me. 8/10
  11. "Higher Than Hope" - Doesn't quite blow my mind, but it's a good closer and Marco doesn't sound as bad on this song. 8/10
Not nearly as good as Century Child and even a step below Wishmaster, Once is nevertheless a fairly good album as a whole, it just never matches the best of the previous albums outside of "Nemo" and the ending to "Ghost Love Score". Marco can also be replaced as a vocalist as far as I'm concerned. As this is Tarja's last album, it'll be interesting to hear her replacements and I hope that the more mainstream metal approach on this album will either be used a little better or shed, but we'll see.

Rating: 84%

Well, right now I'd say my Nightwish Top 10 is something like:
  1. "Nemo"
  2. "The Kinslayer"
  3. "Bless The Child"
  4. "Bare Grace Misery"
  5. "Ocean Soul"
  6. "She Is My Sin"*
  7. "The Phantom of the Opera"
  8. “Beauty of the Beast”
  9. "Dead To The World"
  10. "Ghost Love Score"
*I know I gave it a nine, but I've been playing it again and again and I'd easily give it a 10 now.

Last edited:
If you want a good indication of the band's current style, "Ghost Love Score" pretty much sums it up. Very cinematic with more focus on soundscapes rather than the power metal-style of Oceanborn and Wishmaster. But no matter which era we're talking, it's still bloody great music.

After I saw Sanctuary in Feburary, I listened to this album and I quite liked it. Great suggestion.

It's very different from their 80's output, kinda like the bridge between those first records and the music Dane and Sheppard made with Nevermore, I suppose. Easily one of my favourite albums of all time.

It's very different from their 80's output, kinda like the bridge between those first records and the music Dane and Sheppard made with Nevermore, I suppose. Easily one of my favourite albums of all time.
Yeah, I think I like it because it's further away from the 80s music, to which I am not nostalgically attached. Obviously I didn't see them with Warrel Dane, but Joseph Michael did a good job.

Oh, another one I'd like to recommend, @Diesel 11 (if you haven't heard them yet), is The Pretty Reckless. They've only released 3 albums so far, but all are very good. One of my favorite bands. Here's a song for you to see if they click with you. This one's also a very good one, possibly my favorite.

Last edited:
Back