Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a thought I had that likely qualifies as a blasphemy on this particular forum: AMOLAD is basically the perfect sequel to TXF. Similarly dark thematically (both albums arguably largely deal in matters of life and death - war, religion, and existence in general), but better in every conceivable way and a more cohesive experience as a whole with no real dip points and a consistent quality of songwriting, all thanks to Bruce and Adrian being a part of the band. Of course Steve and Janick are far more on their game on this album as well if you ask me, but that's definitely more of a matter of opinion.

They are definitely the 2 most grim and depressing Maiden albums, in my opinion. Both to me feel gray and oppressive and are hard to listen to.

Here's a thought I had that likely qualifies as a blasphemy on this particular forum: AMOLAD is basically the perfect sequel to TXF. Similarly dark thematically (both albums arguably largely deal in matters of life and death - war, religion, and existence in general), but better in every conceivable way and a more cohesive experience as a whole with no real dip points and a consistent quality of songwriting, all thanks to Bruce and Adrian being a part of the band. Of course Steve and Janick are far more on their game on this album as well if you ask me, but that's definitely more of a matter of opinion.
Now, the important question here is how the fuck did I post this in the wrong thread?

e: I mean, I guess it's sort of relevant but this was definitely intended to be a point of conversation in the blasphemy thread, so whoops! My mistake.

I disagree completely. AMOLAD is great as a whole but does dip in spots - "The Longest Day" starts off well but turns into a bit of a waste by the end, and "Out of the Shadows" is just flat-out bland. Has some great songs on it but better than TXF? No way, not to me at any rate. Is it a sequel to it? Sure. More fleshed-out in theme? Debatable. The X Factor is about the gloomiest points of existence and fighting them as best as one can, while A Matter of Life and Death is really mainly about war and religion. Similar, but different.

;tldr The X Factor is better than AMOLAD.

I disagree completely. AMOLAD is great as a whole but does dip in spots - "The Longest Day" starts off well but turns into a bit of a waste by the end, and "Out of the Shadows" is just flat-out bland. Has some great songs on it but better than TXF? No way, not to me at any rate. Is it a sequel to it? Sure. More fleshed-out in theme? Debatable. The X Factor is about the gloomiest points of existence and fighting them as best as one can, while A Matter of Life and Death is really mainly about war and religion. Similar, but different.

I agree with a lot of this, but I can't say that TXF is better than AMOLAD. The albums are pretty close though. TXF has too many points of meh. (LFTT, Aftermath, and 2AM) AMOLAD has more points of brilliance. (FTGGOG, The Legacy, TCDR)

You're right about The Longest Day. After the solos it's just kind of pointless to listen to. The length of each chorus is approximately 40 seconds. (Doesn't count the prechorus) The last thing I wan't to do is listen to another repeating chorus after those solos. Fun Fact: There is so much repetitiveness in that song that if you add the length of the prechoruses and chorus, it's longer than Wrathchild. Also Out of the Shadows sucks.

I agree with a lot of this, but I can't say that TXF is better than AMOLAD. The albums are pretty close though. TXF has too many points of meh. (LFTT, Aftermath, and 2AM) AMOLAD has more points of brilliance. (FTGGOG, The Legacy, TCDR)

You're right about The Longest Day. After the solos it's just kind of pointless to listen to. The length of each chorus is approximately 40 seconds. (Doesn't count the prechorus) The last thing I wan't to do is listen to another repeating chorus after those solos. Fun Fact: There is so much repetitiveness in that song that if you add the length of the prechoruses and chorus, it's longer than Wrathchild. Also Out of the Shadows sucks.
I guess the only thing we disagree on then is TXF, which I think is pure brilliance. Otherwise yeah, The Legacy and For the Greater Good of God are fantastic (These Colours Don't Run not so much - it's one of my lesser Maiden songs when not on the albums BUT is crucial to the album itself). TLD and OOTS are the only weak spots, the rest is good to awesome.

I used to really hate the chorus in The Longest Day but now I think the problem is that it should have only had two lines instead of four, and then gone straight to the solos or something because while the verses are amazing in the intro, they're bland in the second come-around (as is the initially great prechorus, now also bland). If they'd lengthened the solos and then done a final four line chorus I could see it working... at least a little better. But 'revisionest history' doesn't work too well in Maiden's discography, and all I can say is that there's a lot of potential in the song that just goes to waste. Not offensive really, but disappointing.

And yes, OOTS sucks. So much that could've gone right but it never does.

I used to really hate the chorus in The Longest Day but now I think the problem is that it should have only had two lines instead of four, and then gone straight to the solos or something because while the verses are amazing in the intro, they're bland in the second come-around (as is the initially great prechorus, now also bland). If they'd lengthened the solos and then done a final four line chorus I could see it working... at least a little better. But 'revisionest history' doesn't work too well in Maiden's discography, and all I can say is that there's a lot of potential in the song that just goes to waste. Not offensive really, but disappointing.
I really liked it when I first got into Maiden, but each time I listen it I start to dislike it more. It's all in the chorus. I think you could keep the four lines in the first two choruses and cut the final one. A different ending would be needed. I think it would also make the album better too if you got rid of the final chorus.

This is literally the end layout of every song on the album, except The Legacy.
- Guitar solo
- Chorus (usually repeating, about four lines)
- Main riff
- End

If you change up the whole layout of The Longest Day, the album would probably become less repetitive.

I beg to differ. I like The X Factor, but to me A Matter of Life and Death is miles better, using a formula that is similar to a certain extent, but applied much better. AMOLAD is in my top 5 of Maiden albums, right after The Number of the Beast, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, Piece of Mind and Powerslave.

By the way, The Longest Day is fantastic!

Last edited:
I wonder if we'll get the album announcement first and the tracklist a bit later, as it was with The Final Frontier... :D Yeah, it was due to tour announcement, but anyway.

I mean, all those fake song titles and all...
"Be My Antagonist"
"Longing for Heaven"
"Where No Man Has Gone Before"
"Beyond the Eye Can See"
"Catastrophe of a Thousand Light Years"
etc.

Brilliant.

Probably not this time, as it was with TBOS, but just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back