Science!

I shared a recent headline on my facebook stating, "NASA wants to probe into Uranus deeper than ever before." :D

That joke never gets old because it's never been young.

Soyuz MS-10 en route to ISS failed, the crew reverted back to Earth. This is the first Soyuz in-flight failure since Soyuz 18, 43 years and some 1000 missions ago. The crew is safe and OK.

P.S. always loved these mission patches. This is the next planned Soyuz MS one

Soyuz-MS-11-Mission-Patch.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that this morning!

And yeah, Bruno Saint-Jacques is on the next mission. Classy guy.

Oh man, thought about doing a space post yesterday, glad you guys already on topic, space anyway. My question is: Are we justified in our Mars obsession? I mean, we keep looking at Mars as our next big step in Solar System infection, er, colonizing. Yet... Let's face it. How realistic is it? For decades we've heard about terraforming, living in domes, living underground, taking enough supplies, etc. BUUUUT, really? It's a dead planet. Terraforming won't work, I've been caught in sandstorms on Earth, Mars' are 1000 times worse and consistent. Living in artificial environments will only last so long. Again... The planet is dead, we seem to think that just because there is water at the poles that we'll be able to live there. If the planet doesn't renew itself through volcanic activity and the rain cycle then... I don't see it as a viable option. Space station/hub for further exploration? maybe, but we can use the moon for that.

Have you guys seen any REAL science that can back up the "We'll live on Mars in 100 years," delusion?

Nobody credible claims that, therefore I don't think it should be disproven. It's just a journalist thing together with scams such as Mars 100 or whatever that "book your flight to Mars" pyramid scheme was called. A realistic option to land people on Mars and leave them there is 100 years away from the moment when we have low earth orbit shipyard, polar simulation centers and overall a thousandfold more space budget as a planet. And we're far from that.

We could do it now. We just don't want to justify the expense & risk.

Isn't SpaceX asking for volunteers to go die on Mars? Well, they're not promoting it like that, but it is a one way ticket and they know they'll run out of food... so... yeah... go starve to death on Mars.

Back