Your Maiden blasphemy

At least you posted this comment in the correct thread. :p
pooh-to-you-with-knobs-on.jpg

but an instrumental on album is unnecessary with a singer like Bruce
I think a lot of heavy metal fans like the musicianship of bands, including guitar work. It's not like pop or even Symphonic Rock where the focus is almost entirely on the singer, with the music being somewhat of just accompanying backdrop.

I really like and value instrumentals.
Orion - Metallica
Inquisition Symphony - Sepultura
Genghis Khan, Losfer words, Ides of March - IM

I would actually like IM to do more instrumentals.

I think a lot of heavy metal fans like the musicianship of bands, including guitar work. It's not like pop or even Symphonic Rock where the focus is almost entirely on the singer, with the music being somewhat of just accompanying backdrop.
I always find myself torn between supporting instrumentals or not. I mean, I love instrumental songs (and I, too, wish Maiden would do at least one more before wrapping things up), but then I think about the collectivity of the band as a whole: why is it only okay to do a song without the singer? S/he's just as part of the band as any of the other members. You wouldn't purposefully release a song missing one guitarist, or the bassist, or the drummer. But, as I said, I love instrumentals at the same time. That's why I still don't know what to feel about this.

I always find myself torn between supporting instrumentals or not. I mean, I love instrumental songs (and I, too, wish Maiden would do at least one more before wrapping things up), but then I think about the collectivity of the band as a whole: why is it only okay to do a song without the singer? S/he's just as part of the band as any of the other members. You wouldn't purposefully release a song missing one guitarist, or the bassist, or the drummer. But, as I said, I love instrumentals at the same time. That's why I still don't know what to feel about this.
What about Reach Out, That Girl and Hocus Pocus? And songs like The Red and the Black which have instrumental parts which are longer than instrumental songs?

What about Reach Out, That Girl and Hocus Pocus?
Regardless of anything else, those are cover B-sides, as opposed to original album songs. Not really taking them into account as I'm actually talking about the band themselves.

As for "The Red and the Black": Bruce is there, isn't he?

My point still stands.

The band and the singer are always distinct. It's how it works in the recording studio as well. Vocals are recorded on top of the instrumental.

Metallica released an entire album without a bassist, didn’t they?

....No Justice For Jason :(
Fucking over the bass in the mix was a proud Metallica tradition at that point. The guy who did the mix for Puppets even commented on James and Lars going "more guitars" and "more drums" respectively, while he was the only one concerned about the bass because as per James and Lars, "he's not in the room, is he?"

I don't think there's anything wrong with doing instrumentals, but I'm not generally a big fan of them. Out of Maiden's handful of songs without vocals, I'm only really a fan of Transylvania. And even that one's kind of eh. Maiden is way better than most bands at combining instrumental sections with more epic proportioned songs and that's pretty much what they've been doing since the very first album.

Let's nip that in the bud.

The whole band play on those SIT era B-sides.
Wrong. Acording to Nicko, the whole band only plays on Reach Out. On That Girl and Juanita, Adrian plays bass and Dave only plays the solos. Rythm guitar work is done by Adrian, Dave Colwell and Andy Barnett.

Back