Legacy of the Beast Tour 2018 - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday at work I was following this thread so hard I was completely distracted from actual job related duty. I swore today i'd buckle down, stop reading this, and work..... Nope.
Anyway the set list is a fricken' dream. Love it. Now that the tour is underway, do we expect any news on the 2nd leg? What is Maidens past tendencies as far as a correlation with announcing further dates and tour kickoff? If any?....

Maiden have played 37 different songs on the last three tours. Quite good for a band who don't change the setlist from night to night. If we include The Final Frontier tour we get 51 (including 1000 Suns and Paschendale) different songs since 2010. That's a decent amount.

Hats off to some rarities included (Clansman, Sign, Wickerman, Icarus, Greater Good), also great to see that Adrian got his Revelations solo back. But generally 3/4 of the setlist had already been played quite often over the past tours (I adore "Revelations", but it became almost regular in the past decade, also Aces high, not to mention 2 minutes, Trooper, or final five or six songs). They emphasised first five albums alot, while some newer stuff (post-BNW era) was overlooked. And I never understood - Why is "Somewhere in time" so overlooked by the band? I know Adrian loves that record, not quite sure about Bruce and Steve?
I mean, there's never gonna be a setlist that will please all Maiden fans, but I've seen them only three times in my life and the setlists on these shows were 70 percent mutually similar . Lot of these songs are present now.

Last edited:
Aces high
I understand it gives that impression because it is one of Maiden's most talked about and recognizable songs, but it's hardly a regular (actually, it has only been played in 5 tours total, including the Legacy of the Beast Tour). Before the Ed Hunter Tour in 1999, it had only been played in the World Slavery Tour '84/'85, and after that it never appeared again until the Somewhere Back In Time World Tour in '08/'09, and after that it only came back for the Maiden England Tour. So yeah, it's not as overplayed as it appears to be.

For example, it would be great if "Caught somewhere in time" was the opener.. But now I'm sure it's never going to happen. There is obviously something wrong with SiT album so they are constantly ignoring it (don't believe that the songs are too complex for their age, because Sign of the cross is among hardest ones in Maiden catalogue).
Also, there could have been space for some shorter songs from new era (Different world, Out of the silent planet...).

Last edited:
Decent set list. I don't care for FTGGOG at all and hope it gets dropped asap. Two of RTTH, NOTB, FOTD and HBTN should have been dropped imo.

For example, it would be great if "Caught somewhere in time" was the opener, with Blade Runner intro... But now I'm sure that it's never going to happen. There is obviously something wrong with SiT album so they are constantly ignoring it (don't believe that the songs are too complex for their age, because Sign of the cross is among hardest ones in Maiden catalogue).
Also, there could have been space for some shorter songs from new era (Different world, Out of the silent planet...).

Live production of that album can't be replicated and that was learned in 1986. They don't like how it sounds live. Steve loves the album, just not the way it sounds live. They admit they have live recordings from that tour but I think they're embarrassed by the way it sounds.

Didn't know. From what I heard on unofficial recordings there were issues with Bruce's voice, but that was generally the problem during the 80's, even the first gig in Belgrade in 86 wasn't great for him. Maybe extensive touring took its toll. Nevertheless, the sound of that record is pretty unique and difficult to emulate, indeed.

Last edited:
Live production of that album can't be replicated and that was learned in 1986. They don't like how it sounds live. Steve loves the album, just not the way it sounds live. They admit they have live recordings from that tour but I think they're embarrassed by the way it sounds.
And yet Kevin Shirley is they producer. Mind blowing.

But from a history tours perspective it's basically been on the last two. So it's not a very imaginative opener in that respect.
I would accept that argument if album tours featured just songs from the newest album. "The Trooper", for example, appears everywhere, including album tours, which makes it much more overplayed than "Aces High". "The Evil That Men Do" has appeared in more tours than "Aces High", and no one's talking about that.

About it being an "unimaginative opener", I don't know exactly what gives that impression (I myself used to think like you do), but it has only opened 2 tour before this one since 1999. There were about 2 history tours during this period (3, if you count the 2010 leg of the Final Frontier Tour) which didn't feature "Aces High" at all, plus in the Maiden England Tour it didn't show up until the encores. So no, it's not actually overplayed (neither as an opener, nor even as a standard song in the set).

And yet Kevin Shirley is they producer. Mind blowing.
I might be alone in this, but I enjoy his production job on Maiden's albums. Brave New World sounds very fresh, crisp and clear, and the drum sound in A Matter of Life and Death might be the best drum sound in any album I've ever heard. The Dance of Death production has grown on me and now it doesn't bother me at all, and The Final Frontier and The Book of Souls aren't bad either.

I might be alone in this, but I enjoy his production job on Maiden's albums. Brave New World sounds very fresh, crisp and clear, and the drum sound in A Matter of Life and Death might be the best drum sound in any album I've ever heard. The Dance of Death production has grown on me and now it doesn't bother me at all, and The Final Frontier and The Book of Souls aren't bad either.
AMOLAD was great, no argue in that but other albums... I’m big fan of music and direction that band took with them but not the sound. It’s matter of taste but I love production on first albums and music from post reunion era :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back