Official Hockey discussion thread

Isn't UK hockey like Canadian soccer? :p

Sorry can't say that I am. Outside of Sweden, Finland, Russia, Slovakia, Czech Rep, and Germany, not a lot of high quality leagues.

Haha you're right its not the highest caliber but hey its better than none!
I've seen some coverage, generally when it refers to a local player doing well there. It'd be really nice to see the game grow in the UK, but it's very hard to compete with the other sports played during the same time period.

Isn't UK hockey like Canadian soccer? :p
I'll have you know Toronto FC won the MLS this year!

Yeah its usually a 3 horse race at the top (Sheffield/Belfast/Nottingham) and mostly imported players but the games ive been to are a great atmosphere

I'm Mexican and I think it is the best sport as well. I've seen all levels (pee wee, college, AHL, NHL, international, etc) and it never disappoints. In the U.S I could only watch American leagues and major European leagues, here in Mexico I only get the NHL. I'm sure UK hockey is just as fun to watch as any others, just don't have the means to watch it.

I'm Mexican and I think it is the best sport as well. I've seen all levels (pee wee, college, AHL, NHL, international, etc) and it never disappoints. In the U.S I could only watch American leagues and major European leagues, here in Mexico I only get the NHL. I'm sure UK hockey is just as fun to watch as any others, just don't have the means to watch it.

Yeah its not mainstream here, its shown on obscure TV channels that cost an arm and a leg and the same if you want to watch online!

Something similar happened for a few years in the U.S It used to be on ESPN, but they got into some contract dispute and the only channel willing to pick them up was OLN (outdoor living network). So in the middle of fishing, hiking and hunting there was... hockey. Shortly after that the channel changed its name to VS. and began showing more mainstream sports like golf, and not soon after that NBC bought it and rebranded it NBCSN. So it went from some obscure channel to NBC's dedicated sports feed with hockey as one of its main draws.

Something similar happened for a few years in the U.S It used to be on ESPN, but they got into some contract dispute and the only channel willing to pick them up was OLN (outdoor living network). So in the middle of fishing, hiking and hunting there was... hockey. Shortly after that the channel changed its name to VS. and began showing more mainstream sports like golf, and not soon after that NBC bought it and rebranded it NBCSN. So it went from some obscure channel to NBC's dedicated sports feed with hockey as one of its main draws.

Its football (or soccer to my overseas brethren!) over here, then cricket, rugby union - sadly not rugby league - i'd say that dominates! Give me Hockey (or my other passion...baseball!) anyday!

Most of these players at one point played in the NHL and Kelly won a cup with Boston. I remember Wojtek Wolski was a good player for a while, for.... Colorado? Anyway, Russia might get their first gold medal in ages lol

Most of these players at one point played in the NHL and Kelly won a cup with Boston. I remember Wojtek Wolski was a good player for a while, for.... Colorado? Anyway, Russia might get their first gold medal in ages lol

Yeah Colorado, also semi-decent at Florida if memory serves?

Back