Official Hockey discussion thread

Mike Smith is finally close to his 2011/2012 record with a .931 sv% after 13 games and is giving Flames the presence in net they have lacking since losing Kiprusoff to retirement.
Only one team in Alberta will make the playoffs this year!

I think the excitement is warranted. Duchane is not a game changer
Looks like Ottawa are going to the playoffs

Right? I believe it. As for Calgary... not ready to call it. Smith is NOT Kiprusoff, he's not even a Corey Crawford. If this was February I'd hop on the bandwagon, but for now I'm cautiously optimistic.

If Smith keeps it up, sure. He's notoriously streaky.

Speaking of great play, the Jets are doing great, both Wheeler and Schiefele are tearing it up.

I would still like to watch that. Iginla could play on the same line as Derek Roy. It wouldn't be too bad to have two guys who have put up more than 80 points in an NHL season on the team.

That would be great, him in the Olympics and I agree, had he won the cup back in '04 it'd be a different story. Both times the teams from the Southeast won vs. Canadian teams I felt the Canadian team was way more deserving... oh well.

The 100 Greatest NHL Moments are down to two: Lemieux scoring 5 different ways vs. Orr's OT Cup winning goal/celebration.

My brother and I had a discussion about it as he is a Pens fan and I'm a Bruins fan. Obviously we both made a case for our respective teams, but I have to say that if I look at it objectively I have to give it to Lemieux's feat over Orr's. Orr made it this far on the weight of an iconic picture or "moment." But the REAL feat was an OT cup winner. That achievement has been replicated several times since then. Getting tripped and appearing to fly had nothing to do with the goal itself. On the other hand, Lemieux's achievement of scoring every way currently possible (ES, PP, SH, PS, EN), hasn't been replicated and chances are slim to none that it will.

What do you guys think?

The 100 Greatest NHL Moments are down to two: Lemieux scoring 5 different ways vs. Orr's OT Cup winning goal/celebration.

My brother and I had a discussion about it as he is a Pens fan and I'm a Bruins fan. Obviously we both made a case for our respective teams, but I have to say that if I look at it objectively I have to give it to Lemieux's feat over Orr's. Orr made it this far on the weight of an iconic picture or "moment." But the REAL feat was an OT cup winner. That achievement has been replicated several times since then. Getting tripped and appearing to fly had nothing to do with the goal itself. On the other hand, Lemieux's achievement of scoring every way currently possible (ES, PP, SH, PS, EN), hasn't been replicated and chances are slim to none that it will.

What do you guys think?

Lemieux all the way

Lemieux and Gretzky also had 8 point nights, but I agree that in Richard's era that's very impressive. Like the Sedin twins being the first brothers to both have 1000 points. Even though it technically hasn't happened it will this season. One of them, can't recall which, is only two points away from matching his brother.

About to go into hockey mode .. with the exception of a bowl game and one team in the FCS playoffs, my football interests are about done .. do not care about basketball ... all hockey from now until baseball starting back up

Back