Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

I'm flying to the US on Saturday and as public transport is not exactly amazing over there I'll have to use taxis a few times. This is fine if I'm at an airport where they'll be queuing up waiting for passengers or at a a hotel where reception can easily call for one, but less easy if I arrive at a greyhound station at 11:30PM. Thanks for the convenient timings America! So it looks like the best thing for me to do will be to download the Uber app in spite of my reservations with the company. I have a basic understanding of how it works: you open up the app and tell it where you want to go then the driver comes to get you, but can you book a ride in advance from a particular location?

Just witnessed a murder
eOBmnQr.gif

in the fishtank at my house
KdYM4U0.gif

Well, and as the Tom Waits survivor is already underway, some weird combination of Murder in the Red Barn and Fish in the Jailhouse has been playing in my head since I've read that post. :confused:

Death toll up to four fish now. Either we have a serial killer on the loose or something's terribly wrong about the fishtank.

Just had to think of this tweet:

375CF85900000578-3746813-image-a-92_1471530539046.jpg

Except that in my case, it would read, "before I had to use my company's shitty computer system, I didn't even know there was a wrong way to type a hyphen."

Just had to think of this tweet:

375CF85900000578-3746813-image-a-92_1471530539046.jpg

Except that in my case, it would read, "before I had to use my company's shitty computer system, I didn't even know there was a wrong way to type a hyphen."

And what "way" would that be?

Anybody know the film term for a shot like this? I've seen it in horror movies (Jaws, Night of the Living Dead) where someone's face gets closer but the background moves further away.

Alright, found everything about it.
I never realised they'd used it in Jaws, I'd assumed it was a device that came into use in the past 10-20 years or so. I might have to revisit that film now, and see what else they did to build atmosphere.

Bought a new monitor, 144 Hz is butter-smooth. Waving my cursor around on the desktop has never been as fun. Wish I could utilise the high refresh rate in Witcher 3 but that game is damn demanding. I'd have to go full minimum settings to hope for any rise above 60 FPS.

Yeah, the dolly shot is usually explained and demonstrated by the Vertigo example, which might simply the most famous usage thereof in general (although as Vertigo with some other classic well-known movies starts to slowly turn into Citizen Kane, that is, it is widely known of, but not seen - probably has something to do with its age - it might change in the foreseeable future). IIRC, it was pretty hard to achieve given the technical limitations of the time. Hitchcock managed to do it by constructing a horizontal set of stairs and put the camera on tracks, so it carefully moved forwards as it zoomed out. Again, IIRC.

Back