USA Politics

Wonder how long it will take the Puerto Ricans to come up with the idea that they'd be better off if they were their own country. I wouldn't blame them, honestly.
They'd probably be better off if they were a state, to be honest.

They won't be though, 'cause they're brown and speak Spanish.

They won't be though, 'cause they're brown and speak Spanish.
So is half of Texas, these days. And half of Florida, and half of California. Heck, they even let @Onhell live in Arizona. The problem isn't that they speak Spanish, it's that they vote Democratic.

Yeah, but Texas, Florida, California and Arizona were states before they became brown and spoke Spanish. Would they become states now had they been territories before?

Yeah, but Texas, Florida, California and Arizona were states before they became brown and spoke Spanish. Would they become states now had they been territories before?
I don't have numbers to back this up off the top of my head, but Arizona and New Mexico, especially, were pretty Latino-heavy. All those places used to belong to Mexico. I don't really think race is the influencing factor - the factor is political. If they voted Republican in Puerto Rico, you can be pretty sure the current administration would be pushing hard for statehood to get 2 more Senators.

I don't have numbers to back this up off the top of my head, but Arizona and New Mexico, especially, were pretty Latino-heavy. All those places used to belong to Mexico. I don't really think race is the influencing factor - the factor is political. If they voted Republican in Puerto Rico, you can be pretty sure the current administration would be pushing hard for statehood to get 2 more Senators.

I think it might be a bit from both sides. Sure, if PR voted Republican, they would have a lot more GOP support, but I consider it possible that it would divide the party. The difference with AZ and NM is still that when they received statehood, there was a white majority, and English was the dominant language. This still is the case. There will never be a white majority in PR, English will never be the majority first language. But this is all hypothetical. I'm more interested in the idea of PR independence, and how it would be received in the US. Most Americans don't know it's part of the US anyway. Actually, I'm not even sure The Donald knows.

Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Florida were Spanish holdings before becoming U.S states. Texas Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, etc, were later Mexican holdings, Texas claimed independence, joined the Union... I want to say 9 years later.

California is a special case as it was contested by Russia, Mexico, Spain and France, before the U.S was able to absorb it into the Union as well. In other words, The American southwest has been "brown" and Spanish speaking for hundreds of years.

Florida is a slightly different story. Spanish presence was weak, mostly native american which Andrew Jackson took care of. We can thank Castro for the Brownification of that state ;)

Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Florida were Spanish holdings before becoming U.S states. Texas Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, etc, were later Mexican holdings, Texas claimed independence, joined the Union... I want to say 9 years later.

All true, but don't forget that all these got a white/English majority eventually. AZ and NM didn't even receive statehood until 1912.
Again, I'm not saying racism is the only factor in preventing PR statehood, but I'm pretty sure that it's an important one. PR would be the first state in which Spanish is the majority first language, and Hispanics are the overwhelming majority population. Some GOP congressmen are just too white to let that happen.

Trump Reveals He Doesn’t Understand How The National Debt Works

One of the biggest lies about Trump is one that hardly anyone picks up on. He's a very, very, very poor businessman. A lot of commentators remark on how Trump is wrong in his attempt to run the country like a business. This may be so. But truth is, even if that principle worked, Trump wouldn't manage to do it successfully. The amount of his failed business ventures dwarfs the amount of successful ones. He is more successful as a tv personality, and in portraying himself and his name. He has filed for bankruptcy six times - how is that a successful businessman? How can you want him to apply his, let's call it strategy, to an entire country?

He has filed for bankruptcy six times - how is that a successful businessman? How can you want him to apply his, let's call it strategy, to an entire country?
During the campaign, he floated the idea of "restructuring" the US debt. Which made the US dollar tumble, because that's not how fucking countries work.

I think Americans turn a blind eye to his bankruptcies, because in their minds that is the "beauty" of a capitalist society. It allows you to fail, pick yourself back up and try again, over and over again. Just an assumption that makes sense to me, but as we've seen, NOTHING makes sense in the U.S.

Trump Reveals He Doesn’t Understand How The National Debt Works

One of the biggest lies about Trump is one that hardly anyone picks up on. He's a very, very, very poor businessman. A lot of commentators remark on how Trump is wrong in his attempt to run the country like a business. This may be so. But truth is, even if that principle worked, Trump wouldn't manage to do it successfully. The amount of his failed business ventures dwarfs the amount of successful ones. He is more successful as a tv personality, and in portraying himself and his name. He has filed for bankruptcy six times - how is that a successful businessman? How can you want him to apply his, let's call it strategy, to an entire country?

Once you know the history of the USFL you don't need to know anything else about Trump, frankly.

Back