Iron Maiden songs – a rough overview of their “live history”

This is so exagerated. I loved the albums when they came out especially ARLO. Also missed ARL tour, not FOTD tour. Also became fan in 1991.

I'm another 1991 fan, and ARLO was the first album I bought rather than taped off a mate, loved it when it came out and played it non stop for months. ARDO not so much, I remember thinking how wimpy the riff from Two Minutes to Midnight sounded, how sloppy Where Eagles Dare was and how vastly inferior the songs were to the versions on Live After Death. But the version of Hallowed on it, is still for me the definitive version.

Haven't listened to either in a long time though. I think that has a lot to do with the fact that the songs are mixed and matched from different gigs and are shoe horned into one album being before LAD and the other after it. It makes them feel not like a real album.

My recollection of what I read might be hazy, but if I remember correctly, Bruce offered to Steve to overdub things if he felt there was a need, and Steve replied that he had been be cutting and pasting from other performances of the song. As I said, I have been unable to trace the original interview, so I might have dreamed it!

They certainly did a cut and paste job in The Evil that Men Do at Donington (Bruce started to sing the chorus too early on the day; no evidence of this on the album/video).
Very interesting. Which bootlegs do you prefer from the 1992 and/or 1993 tour?

I'm another 1991 fan, and ARLO was the first album I bought rather than taped off a mate, loved it when it came out and played it non stop for months. ARDO not so much, I remember thinking how wimpy the riff from Two Minutes to Midnight sounded, how sloppy Where Eagles Dare was and how vastly inferior the songs were to the versions on Live After Death. But the version of Hallowed on it, is still for me the definitive version.

I am listening to ARDO at the moment and had forgotten about the 2MTM riff (your comment is spot on).

Haven't listened to either in a long time though. I think that has a lot to do with the fact that the songs are mixed and matched from different gigs and are shoe horned into one album being before LAD and the other after it. It makes them feel not like a real album.

It feels like a compilation of live tracks (with very poor production) more than a real live album.

The fact that Maiden released these poorly produced albums suggests that nobody in Maiden-land dared to criticise anything Steve did back then. It is not surprising that they have not re-released them with the last batch of vinyl releases.

This is a legit discussion, guys, but do you mind if we move that to another thread?

I'd completely forgotten that, I remember it being discussed at time (one of the "anonymous" accounts on there might even be my old account), it's a shame the links Gor has for the two other threads don't work anymore.

My speculation is they knew they were going to release Donington anyway as they had taped it for video, so they pretended it was from Mannheim instead, although that would ask the question as to why not use another version of BQOBD?

Thx. Can we repeat the verdict on two Back in the village Polish dates, The Untouchables Metal Hammer video features an interview and Smith specifically says Maiden never played this tune.

5:40 "We've pulled out the song Back in the Village. I don't think Maiden ever played it live".

Nice to have that song mentioned. I never ever heard someone from Maiden mentioning that song before.
Thx. Can we repeat the verdict on two Back in the village Polish dates, The Untouchables Metal Hammer video features an interview and Smith specifically says Maiden never played this tune.
He says "think". And in 1985 he said it was dropped from the setlist. Hard to take quote from the earlier nineties over the other quote. Usually memory gets worse over the years, not better.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that was a printed interview, and the quote might mean they've rehearsed it but decided not to play it. Dropped from the setlist isn't exactly the same as dropped from the set.

Three things

WIU was played on Top of the pops 1980 live, as a lead single, so it's safe to assume its appearance on the leg.
You should mark that we don't have audio proof for Village, since we have for every other entry.
I still owe Perun that Seventh Son "sounboard" bootleg, I'll see on uploading it in a day or two, for what it's worth it had a difference in eq resulting in a crisper sound.

I added the Back in the Village suggestion!

WIU was played on Top of the pops 1980 live, as a lead single, so it's safe to assume its appearance on the leg.
We do assume it was played but we can't be sure it was done at every gig. For lots of entries I have "probably", "mostly", "regularly" etc.

Since there are hardly any audio sources, this sounded reasonable to me:

Women in Uniform: 2 (played on Adrian Smith's first concert @ Brunel University, Uxbridge, England; (waiting for confirmation), probably also on the next 1-7 gigs; at least it was played in Newcastle.

@lira the YT comment is vague. It says Newcastle, but also "his 1st gig". Brunel is his 1st gig, right? So is this Newcastle or Brunel?

Last edited:
Back