Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently there were a few mistakes in the Download show.
I recall Bruce messing up on a few tracks at Donnington in 92. Started singing the chorus of evil that men do too early for one plus his voice went towards the end. On the cd though it was all corrected. So not totally live recording!

There are always going to be some mistakes in a live performance. So what if a DVD has them on there? That's just part of the concert experience.
Having the professionally-filmed Wacken show for free on the Internet is enough for this tour I think. I'd rather have (more) pro-shot from GMETID, Early Days - that is, non-stadium shows- or even AMOLAD1.
That's a very good point. Same with the Maiden England tour. We got 2 shows from that. Maybe Maiden figures those are all good enough. It's hard to say though and a live release could still be announced.

And/or the latest History documentary. It cant be too far away
Agreed. As a fan, this would be my priority now. It should include among other things Live At Donington (preferably with a different editing, but the realistic in me deems it is too much work for something of too little importance, from a commercial point of view). I wonder whether the band has the rights to Raising Hell (originally edited by Semaphore Entertainment Group for the VHS, BMG for the DVD). It would fit well as a "big bonus", an equivalent to 12 Wasted Years featured on the recent Maiden England DVD).

Last edited:
There's more than enough material for a double DVD to cover 1990-1993, but cynical me has the feeling the band decides they just want the history thing over with and cover the Blaze years too, and release it in a way that implies that they're also recording a new album, so nobody is going to ask for a nineties tour. It would be a long shot from all the promises we got back in late 2004, mind you.

That each period in Maiden history would get the same treatment as "The Early Days", including rarities, previously unreleased stuff and a tour with long-lost songs in the setlist. It became obvious that they already started diverting from this with Somewhere Back in Time (although the LAD DVD still delivered), but by the time a third leg was added to Maiden England, it was clear that they weren't as serious about giving us the "History of Iron Maiden" anymore as much as they were about milking the 80's hits cow. Not that this was necessary; the Early Days tour was successful even with Another Life, Where Eagles Dare and Drifter, and without Fear of the Dark.
Whatever would have been in focus on The Early Days was now more of bonus material on Maiden England '88. Even without a Somewhere in Time show, there would have been more than enough rare stuff to put on that release, I just don't believe that a 40 minutes documentary (the LAD was still 60 minutes and covered a shorter time period), 12 Wasted Years and five video clips was the best they could do.
I don't want to sound like I'm too negative about all this, or that I'm holding a grudge. I did enjoy all the releases and tours, but it's obvious that the initial enthusiasm that came with the Early Days release was subsequently pushed aside by business considerations.

It certainly was a massive pile of shite both in terms of content and quality. That 'head in the corner' style referred to above was fuckin pish. Very disappointing, especially after the quality of Early Days and LAD. I think Perun has it right, its as if they lost interest in the whole thing, that the documentary was a total after thought on a re-release cash in. For Maiden England, would it of killed them to release it after the tour with a full show from 2012-14 added and a documentary covering SiT up til release of original Maiden England. I would have bought that but as it stands Maiden England '88 is the only Maiden dvd I have not purchased. Value for money is nil, in my opinion. Now if the band are more focused on creating new stuff that is a positive thing but really, how much effort would it have taken to make a more detailed documentary?

I'm not saying that the Maiden England '88 was a rip-off. It's a legitimate DVD release of the Maiden England video, which had been out of print for almost twenty years. It's also cool that they put 12 Wasted Years on it; but it's disappointing that this was it in terms of rare material. There were cameras everywhere between 1986 and 1989, was there really nothing else they could have included? In terms of the documentary, it wasn't bad from the content, but evidently too short. Maybe it is a difficult period for the guys to talk about (although not too difficult to put onstage for three years), but it also was a time that had a lot going on. Two major tours, two albums that are fan favourites and gained new ground creatively, the first solo adventures... just imagine what we could have gotten had they put the same effort into it as they did with The Early Days.

I suspect the whole history thing is going to morph into the Legacy of the Beast brand, which probably means more recapping NOTB, RTTH, Trooper, Fear of the Dark and other big name 'classics'.

Yeah, when I am criticising the content its the shortness of the documentary I'm referring to. As someone who had 12 Wasted Years and ME on VHS and has watched them both to death, I thought that 40 mins of new documentary material was a poor effort and certainly not worth spending any money on. I suppose it was good to add the encore songs but still, not enough new material for me. I hope they cover the 90s in considerable depth.
I reckon you are right, Brigs RE any possibly future best of/history tours but I certainly hope they don't gloss over the 90s when it comes to the documentary. Personally, I think Steve would get a kick from fresh discussions of Bruces performances near the end.

I appreciate we like to speculate about his, but I don't think it's anywhere near this complicated for the band. I personally feel the tour format(s) & releases have seemed pretty loose & directionless for some time now. They're probably going to tour next summer because they want to play (as they've said many times); I think what they hang on this is now a total afterthought. I mean, the guys get asked stuff in interviews & don't seem that capable of articulating their understanding of their own discography; either that or they're (still) not that comfortable talking about their artistic output, conflating this (altho' perhaps this is more personal to them that I appreciate) with their own personal lives (which I understand they have no particular wish talking about). I thought the early history/retro tours were great; but the ME revisit was too long and not a good enough retrospective to be something I care to applaud them for doing. It's hard to tell whether the band themselves really care that much for these look-backs; beyond just enjoying performing & playing. It's just such a pity that the forthcoming activity might be another half-arsed retrospective when their time is potentially so short.

There is also the possibility that the 2018 tour could just extend on from the BOS, with modified setlist .

Anyone else remember in summer 2014 and many thought it would be the 90s history tour, and they just rolled out Maiden England again?

There is also the possibility that the 2018 tour could just extend on from the BOS, with modified setlist .

Anyone else remember in summer 2014 and many thought it would be the 90s history tour, and they just rolled out Maiden England again?
Bruce has repeatedly and explicitly said onstage a number of times that the BOS tour would be over for good this year.

I suspect the whole history thing is going to morph into the Legacy of the Beast brand, which probably means more recapping NOTB, RTTH, Trooper, Fear of the Dark and other big name 'classics'.
Surely the can't milk the "classics" on another tour? Im still feeling there was a missed opportunity on the last two history tours to do something really special. ME tour in the end was a joke. More milking of songs played on most tours. Please no more Notb, Trooper, RTTH etc etc. So many kick ass songs in the back catalogue. Such a shame. I'd love a 90s tour but if they've wiped this period from their history memory bank then focus on the reunion era. That would be awesome too. There are songs in this period that should be the new classics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back