Rush

Top 5 Rush Albums/Next Band

• Total voters
Wow. I'm surprised they didn't just get Geddy to play on that too.

Probably, but Steve Howe hates that song and has been known to mess it up live on purpose.

I really enjoy Grace Under Pressure.

For me they didn't truely become Rush until Moving Pictures.

I hope they do some more shows, if not a full scale tour.

Very interesting. Not an easy decision. They might get criticism from some people, even if this is not called Rush. Rush music featuring the band without Peart is like Maiden music featuring the band without Dickinson, Harris or Murray (or any of the other members by now). Peart was as vital of the sound as any of the other two.

But we can't blame Lee and Lifeson for continuing music and for wanting to play Rush music. They use a different name. A very respectful and wise thing to do. Looking forward to it.

I think if they play a few Rush songs here and there, like 25% of the set, it'll be alright. If it's basically them playing Rush with a different drummer, I'm not cool with it.

Peart was as vital of the sound as any of the other two.

If not more so than Lifeson considering he wrote most of the songs lyrically and often arranged/wrote the music, as well.

If not more so than Lifeson considering he wrote most of the songs lyrically and often arranged/wrote the music, as well.

Gotta disagree with that. Lifeson definitely wrote and arranged more music than Peart.
Geddy's a genius and Peart writes the lyrics and is perhaps the best drummer in the world so I get why it happens, but Lifeson's contributions are consistently underrated.
Rush is a tripod, each leg equally crucial to making it work.

I'll be interested in what Geddy and Alex come up with, and I encourage them to follow their muse wherever it takes them, even if it is a bunch of Rush songs with another drummer. But it will never be Rush.

Gotta disagree with that. Lifeson definitely wrote and arranged more music than Peart.
Geddy's a genius and Peart writes the lyrics and is perhaps the best drummer in the world so I get why it happens, but Lifeson's contributions are consistently underrated.
Rush is a tripod, each leg equally crucial to making it work.

I guess my phrasing wasn't the best. I'm definitely not trying to downplay Alex's contributions, but I agree with you 100% - Rush cannot exist without all three of those guys and the songs wouldn't exist without all three of those guys.

Chalk this up to another instance of "Mr. K Starts Posting Before Coffee" :D

Lee and Lifeson did the music and Peart just did the lyrics, although I think lyrics often came first so he did have some control over the structure of the song. Some exceptions of course, like the handful of songs that Lee wrote lyrics for and YYZ which was mostly Lee and Peart.

Gotta love these Villa trivia (copied from wiki):

"La Villa Strangiato" is a nine-minute instrumental that has twelve distinct sections and a subtitle of "An Exercise in Self-Indulgence" in the liner notes. According to Lifeson, it is based on the various nightmares he would have, particularly while on tour, which provided the theme to what he described as a "musical recreation" of them. The track was the sole piece that developed from the two-week rehearsal period the group had prior to entering the studio. Rush encountered great difficulty in recording it as they wanted it put down as a single live performance, rather than a more produced and edited piece. Lee said it took them around 40 takes to produce a take they were satisfied with. Peart said they spent more time recording "La Villa Strangiato" than they did recording Fly by Night (1975). He recalled the group spent four days and nights playing it repeatedly, playing while their hands were sore and their minds tired. "We were determined to get the whole thing perfect, but in the end I just couldn't do it, and we ended up putting it together from a few different takes". The segments "Monsters!" and "Monsters! (Reprise)" are adapted from "Powerhouse", a 1937 jazz instrumental by Raymond Scott.

One of my fave bands.
My top 5 albums: Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, Moving Pictures, A Farewell to Kings then 2112. It's easily the strongest run of Rush albums IMO. All other albums bow down to these 5 albums.
For example Clockwork Angels is a very good album, but not in the same league with any of these 5.

What is the best run of Rush albums for you?

Back