The Concert Thread

Well back from a festival. Saw Ugly Kid Joe, Airbourne and a bunch of Slovenian bands. UKJ were brilliant. Two of my friends met the bassist at the bar and took a picture with him. I wasn't there because some fucker stole my wallet and I went to the police station (it isn't fun to report something when you are almost Shane McGowan, but luckily the officers were super nice.) The next day I missed The Superhammers (Stu Hamm, Mike Keneally and Chad Wakerman). Still pissed about that. The last day I saw Airbourne who were amazing and super loud. An amazing weekend with friends apart from my wallet being stolen. Shit happens.

This is what I have bought tix for:

7-29: Blue Oyster Cult (my first time)
8-18: Deep Purple/Alice Cooper/Edgar Winter (with my son)
9-28: Accept (really excited; missed them last time since they skipped TX; this time they are only playing five US cities and Houston is 1 of them!)
9-30: Sacred Reich (their first Texas show since the 90's)

Now if only Dream Theater would finally announce their fall US tour...

Well back from a festival. Saw Ugly Kid Joe, Airbourne and a bunch of Slovenian bands. UKJ were brilliant. Two of my friends met the bassist at the bar and took a picture with him. I wasn't there because some fucker stole my wallet and I went to the police station (it isn't fun to report something when you are almost Shane McGowan, but luckily the officers were super nice.) The next day I missed The Superhammers (Stu Hamm, Mike Keneally and Chad Wakerman). Still pissed about that. The last day I saw Airbourne who were amazing and super loud. An amazing weekend with friends apart from my wallet being stolen. Shit happens.

God that sucks. My buddy's wallet was stolen during a Testament show few years back. Wish wallet's had DNA recognition that would deliver 10,000 volts of electricity to anyone whose DNA it does not recognize.

Ask him what the correct spelling of Wil(l)cock(s)/x is.

Richie Ramone - 9/8
Steve Harris British Lion - 16/8

Really looking forward to both. Not many Ramones left now. Richie wrote my favorite Ramones song 'Somebody Put Something in my Drink', so he's the next best thing to the original lineup. Will be cool to see Steve up close!

fF0dB21W2xbQ77aTFGyqzImBdG4OE6YoUkxHooTSWSsaPJnGgP8GWPV56UnsYGDQX0H4a5K1RbCWWCo157RDDONuExw3MmmbWFtc3THILsKDi3H1mzTaDvRGoGI5IGJcYHp1G24zH-Ie3OKKhpSn-mp3pfKpns4RHtF5K5k36qT8r9zDO1341KiWQxj45__nOEkRA9roBxTpsHdq2F6XPSvOkS_SYGoiVvcLFjpIeGIkOlmflY1BffxZ-cE1NNOac25D8Bkz6cFO1XPOAZ-S_GeY14_BoJY05MFuz2Oy8xO51NuemOS3jhuQ_0KgQdpR4Vq_Sv2rfpoRFRL8Ajj9731qPlX9LW_puXo5Dud14Hii_I4oHYn4FQdNxLx95FosD7mTckea6ITkFGYWacRuHq28M7A9Jsq361fMSFN_FRlnmGu_kiZaW5ULoo0OJDXksAz7D5eyCJ9rjNdc0drsyDcFtOMrAmb7SApOOHdhUz_dJpR_Ocbozg_Af3x1Uy_rV-ETNbmXJ7w5k6tOEYnGcGJaeC5TNimPVDcP5umDGe9KmzI8TwG1WeuLzdXkL0oEMQNExxgeLZFk6NN4YvNrps7a6vVdX-QuJbU_kII5w86kTveeLniAcave5pDG_oK1ShbwAqkgNonG7HA4dIYCNP64PtL-wwLDQgUNbEtJB7plftzsQ3DmkmwZVssvPsM3z_7Ux4NgP25bPGjbULgyqpQ=s0-l75-ft-l75-ft

Just saw Blue Oyster Cult for the first time. These guys have been playing as long as I have been alive and they still sound great. Buck is a hell of a lead guitarist and still can sing as well. Even though they did not play my two favorite songs tonight
Harvest Moon & Perfect Water
(they did on other dates of the tour :mad:), still an enjoyable show.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/blue...white-oak-music-hall-houston-tx-53e5ef95.html

I saw Bad Religion in London last night. They're not the sort of music I usually listen to, but I like to dabble now and again. It was a fun show with a lively crowd and very sweaty. Being a Punk Rock band most of their songs are about Politics, and a couple of songs into the set the singer said "Some of the songs we wrote 30 years ago are becoming even more relevant today" - I wonder what he was talking about... Comparing to the sort of bands I usually go to watch it was an interesting contrast. They dress exactly the way they would if they went to the pub on a Tuesday evening and, aside from the backdrop, the stage is completely undercoated. The show didn't have any of the theatre that Metal bands have, which I'm not saying is a bad thing - it's just different. I suppose it's good not having to focus on the stage all the time and just jump around, enjoy the music and sing/shout along.

It was good to go to a concert again. It has been more then two months since my last one - Iron Maiden in the O2 at the end of May!

Current schedule:

10-13 August: Bloodstock Festival (Amon Amarth, Blind Guardian, Testament, Ghost, Kreator, Hatebreed, Megadave)
27 August: Muse, Reading Festival
26 September: Evergrey, Camden Underworld
2 October: Alter Bridge, Royal Albert Hall
24 October: Metallica, O2 Arena
26 October: The Iron Maidens, Reading
1 November: Delain, Camden Koko
12 November: Toseland/Skarlett Riot, Oxford
14 November: Helloween, Brixton Academy
13 April: Epica, Kentish Town Forum

Keeping myself busy until the end of the year. I was hoping that Epica would do another UK show at the end of the year as part of their Ultimate Principle tour, but a UK tour called the United Principle was announced yesterday which is better as it won't clash with my trip to New Orleans. :)

I caught Bad Religion a couple years back and they made me a believer. I'd love to catch another gig one day. Just simple ass rock and punk tunes delivered very competently and with tons of heart.

Last night, I saw Clutch and Primus at The Rave/Eagles Club in Milwaukee. Just a disclaimer, the venue is 4 stories tall, built in the 20's as a symbol of American wealth and the opulence of the patriarchy, has 4 stages of different sizes all with varying degrees of weird old world character, people have died there, apparently there is a haunted swimming pool in the basement...it's a really unique venue. That said, it's old and there was no real air conditioning. There was one exit from the main venue and the main venue is on the fourth floor. It was shit. I've never been to a hotter show in my life. Combine that with $5 water bottles and no credit cards allowed...you've got a setup not to have fun.

BUT: Clutch were absolutely badass as always. They burned through a 75 min set and sounded incredible, even played a couple new songs still in progress for their next album. A 10/10 Clutch performance.

Primus, on the other hand, bored the shit out of me. Like, it was cool and weird for a second, but I guess I was unaware of Primus' desire to be a jam band because every single song took 2 mins to start, had 8 mins of jamming/tone building, and then 4 fake endings. They played the main riff to My Name Is Mud as an outro (an outro consisting of the same riff over and over) for literally 3 minutes. It was ridiculous. They played a lot of stuff that I've only heard once or twice, skipped a bunch of songs I really wanted to hear, and I couldn't hear Les' microphone at all when he was singing (so it basically sounded like a Primus record). By this point in the night I was also exhausted from the heat, so that probably had a huge impact on my enjoyment of the gig. I now know to never go back to The Rave/Eagles Club in the summer.

Random thought, but considering their history of touring with slightly odd combinations of bands, I bet a Clutch/Bad Religion tour would be really fantastic.

Caved and bought tickets for Alice Cooper in Birmingham in November, after putting it off since they went on sale.

Bit miffed that it's an all seated gig though.

Back