The Concert Thread

Devin Townsend is coming on August 15th so I guess that'll be my first show since last September.

I just got back from Tool at the Gorge Amphitheater in the middle of Washington. To anyone who hasn't been to The Gorge, the background is like a mini Grand Canyon. All of the scenery is just stunning.

Tool was on fire all night. The music was flawless, Maynard wasn't missing any notes, and the imagery on the screens were absolutely phenomenal. The setlist was awesome, exactly what I wanted to hear for my first Tool concert. The Highlight of the night was easily Third Eye. I got so lost in the imagery and the music that I actually forgot where I was. That may have been all of the weed though, everyone around me was stoned. My biggest regret was that I didn't cough up an extra $100 for seats, I was standing in the GA lawn section in the way back. I will definitely be going again, and I will definitely be getting some way better seats.

Here's the setlist: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tool/2017/the-gorge-amphitheatre-george-wa-2be4a81a.html

And a couple photos...
IMG_4249.jpg IMG_4248.jpg

Mastodon have announced a UK tour, with a date in my Uni city. It'd be a crime for me not to go, when the venue will be on my doorstep.

There's too many tours being announced for the winter. Opeth, Mastodon, Alice Cooper. I'm going to be one poor student.

My current schedule is empty until August, an unusual feeling for me recently, but looking pretty busy towards the end of the year:

01/08 Bad Religion, Kentish Town Forum
11-13/08 Bloodstock Festival (Amon Amarth, Ghost, Megadave, Blind Guardian, Testament, Kreator)
27/08 Muse, Reading Festival
26/09 Evergrey, Camden Underworld
02/10 Alter Bridge, Royal Albert Hall
24/10 Metallica, O2 Arena
01/11 Delain, Camden Koko
14/11 Helloween, Brixton Academy

I'm hoping that Epica come back to London at the end of the year on their European tour as well, but not when I'm hoping to be in America.

Foo Fighters and A Perfect Circle just announced tours hitting my city. I'm gonna be broke...

Saw Aerosmith last week. Great show, hope they come round again. Ive seen some big acts but no one has ever been the embodiment of the Rock Star more than Steven Tyler. Hes one cool cat.

This Friday I'll see Midnight Oil. It's hard to describe how much I look forward to this. For years they've been my number 1 band to see live one day.

Now guess how many different songs the band has played this tour (during 22 concerts if not mistaken):

A. 28
B. 39
C. 56
D. 79

Last edited:
D indeed. :bigsurprise:

F**cking amazing. Only 5 songs (Blue Sky Mine, The Dead Heart, Beds Are Burning, Forgotten Years and Dreamworld) that were played at every concert.

Complete song statistics for this tour, with my favourites from this list in blue:
1 Blue Sky Mine 20
The Dead Heart 20
Beds Are Burning 20
Forgotten Years 20
Dreamworld 20
6 King of the Mountain 17
7 Luritja Way 16
8 Kosciusko 15
Truganini 15
My Country 15
11 When the Generals Talk 14
12 Warakurna 13
Power and the Passion 13
14 Only the Strong 12
15 Redneck Wonderland 11
Put Down That Weapon 11
Arctic World 11
18 Ships of Freedom 10
19 Sometimes 9
20 Bullroarer 8
Now or Never Land 8
22 Read About It 7
23 US Forces 5
Sell My Soul 5
Short Memory 5
Earth and Sun and Moon 5
River Runs Red 5
Best of Both Worlds 5
Feeding Frenzy 5
30 One Country 4
Too Much Sunshine 4
Shakers and Movers 4
Tin Legs and Tin Mines 4
Tone Poem 4
Don't Wanna Be the One 4
In the Valley 4
Say Your Prayers 4
Hercules 4
Stars of Warburton s 4
Spirit of the Age 4
41 Progress 3
E-Beat 3
Safety Chain Blues 3
Antarctica 3
Golden Age 3
Concrete 3
47 No Reaction 2
Mountains of Burma 2
Under the Overpass 2
Jimmy Sharman's Boxers 2
Brave Faces 2
Somebody's Trying to Tell Me Something 2
No Time for Games 2
Tell Me the Truth 2
Whoah 2
Capricornia 2
Bedlam Bridge 2
58 Lucky Country 1
Wharf Rat (Grateful Dead cover) 1
Outside World 1
Minutes to Midnight 1
Scream in Blue 1
White Skin Black Heart 1
Renaissance Man 1
Harrisburg 1
Profiteers 1
Sleep 1
Maralinga 1
Armistice Day 1
Drums of Heaven 1
Blossom and Blood 1
Surf's Up Tonight 1
Drop in the Ocean 1
Stand in Line 1
Comfortable Place on the Couch 1
Sins of Omission 1
Can't See Reason 1
Instant Karma! (John Lennon cover) 1
Gunbarrel Highway 1

Last edited:
Potential concert schedule for me (didn't buy a single ticket yet):

August 15 - Devin Townsend Project, Belgrade
September 16 - The Rolling Stones, Spielberg
September 18 - Arch Enemy, Belgrade
October 13 - Paradise Lost/Pallbearer/Sinistro, Belgrade
October 28 - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Belgrade
December 7 - Scorpions, Belgrade
December 14 - Helloween, Sofia

My friend bought tickets for Queen+Adam Lambert in December in Birmingham for him and I. As a very big Queen fan, I couldn't resist turning this down.

So as of now my next gig is 6 months away, I can't handle it. I've had a gig every month since last September.

I'm listening to one of the best bands on the planet...... First Midnight Oil concert tonight!
Foro, I expect a full report right after the show.
Loosy, sorry this is not right after the show, nor a full report either, but I wanted to say this is one of the most impressive concerts I've ever seen. After a 15 year break this band returned with huge enthousiasm. And their catalogue is so impressive. Man, did they deliver. It is said they rehearsed three months, practicing all their 125 songs.
Now we've arrived to a great aspect of this band: after about 26 concerts this year, they did 89(!) different songs. 89! Only 5 songs were played at every show. The other twenty (sometimes less, sometimes more) could be anything!

Fuck the idea that everything needs to be orchestrated, fuck laziness. Maiden (and a lot of other bands) have suddenly become a boring band when it comes to presenting their music to an audience.

Maiden will always be my number one band, but Midnight Oil was so great and refreshing that I am eagerly checking their setlists of all gigs during this whole tour. With Maiden, I am not that much into this tour anymore. Can you imagine if Maiden would do this? 4 or 5 songs every gig and the other 10 or 11 could change every night.

To be honest, I also see a downside of changing so much: people can get a bit jealous when other concerts have their favourite songs. Still, the unpredictability increases the excitement and the catalogue is big and good enough to do this.

I met two band members before the show, outside the venue. One (bass player) was walking away from the venue while I was going towards it. The other (drummer) was about to leave when he saw some fans outside and had a chat. I felt very lucky, never experienced something like this with one of my absolute favourite bands. Meeting Bruce (as briefly as it was) and Steve (British Lion) was at least as impressive, but now I saw two guys ahead of the show and it was a more relaxed atmosphere.

Last edited:
Saw The Sounds, Johnossi and Electric Boys at a free festival. Would pay to see Electric Boys again, fantastic band.

Back