Favorite bands

Or Grateful Dead? Everyone thinks they're "just an old 60s band" (they were, they did the acid tests with Neal Cassady, that's how they started playing music!) and the best live playing they did was in the 70s...but the most popular they ever got was in the late 80s when they won a Grammy and had a fucking music video out! Unheard of :D They sold more concert tickets than Madonna or Metallica at the time...

Last edited:
No one remembers Fool's Circle...;)

I do! Actually...

...thanks to a strange set of circumstances this has been, like, my fourth Nazareth song (after the obligatory Love Hurts, Dream On and Hair of the Dog) just as Circle has been my first full Nazareth album. They still became one of my beloved bands in the end, though. :D

Or Grateful Dead? Everyone thinks they're "just an old 60s band" (they were, they did the acid tests with Neal Cassady, that's how they started playing music!) and the best live playing they did was in the 70s...but the most popular they ever got was in the late 80s when they won a Grammy and had a fucking music video out! Unheard of :D They sold more concert tickets than Madonna or Metallica at the time...

I agree (80's were the years with Mydland, right?), but I think the "60s band" is more about their general/style approach. Just as The Who are generally considered to be a 60's band (aren't they?), although Quadrophenia came out in 1973 and even everybody's favourite Who's Next came out in 1971...

My top 10.
1. Iron Maiden
2. Dream Theater
3. Tool
4. Machine Head
5. Queensryche
6. Alice in Chains
7. Metallica
8. Sabaton
9. Pink Floyd
10. Rush

Have I actually never posted in this thread? Well, then...

1: Genesis
2: Electric Light Orchestra
3: Dream Theater
4: Iron Maiden
5: The Beatles
6: Yes
7: Peter Gabriel
8: The Beach Boys
9: Rush
10: ELP/Daft Punk/Queen (this one's impossible to determine)

This was tough...

Top 10

1. Iron Maiden
2. Deep Purple / Rainbow / Whitesnake
3. AC DC
4. Queen
5. Guns n Roses
6. Metallica
7. Black Sabbath
8. Judas Priest

(however bad the releases they put out now might be -which is not always the case-, I think the legacy of these bands above is untouchable. On the contrary, the bands below have actually regressed dramatically from their heyday, in my opinion)

9. Helloween (up to The Dark Ride) /Gamma Ray (up to Powerplant)
10. Dream Theater (up to 6DOIT)

Angra, Megadeth, Bon Jovi and Queensrÿche fail to reach the top 10 because their golden years were too ephemeral although some of their albums are among my favorite ever.

EDIT The Beatles do not really qualify for this top because either their live days did not yield so many tremendous songs (compared with the rest of their career), either those extraordinary songs were written when they were more of a studio band, the bandmates (and George Martin) being rather "lab assistant arrangers" ;) . The same goes more or less for Pink Floyd since Animals: it had stopped being really a band.

EDIT2: ok, I had forgotten Scorpions. Out goes Dream Theater...

Last edited:
New unexpected #2: Scorpions.

Such a fantastic band, so many great songs and a level of consistency (for me) very few bands match over such a long career.

Top 10

1. Iron Maiden
2. Deep Purple / Rainbow / Whitesnake
3. AC DC
4. Queen
5. Guns n Roses
6. Metallica
7. Black Sabbath
8. Judas Priest

(however bad the releases they put out now might be -which is not always the case-, I think the legacy of these bands above is untouchable. On the contrary, the bands below have actually regressed dramatically from their heyday, in my opinion)

9. Helloween (up to The Dark Ride) /Gamma Ray (up to Powerplant)
10. Dream Theater (up to 6DOIT)

Angra, Megadeth, Bon Jovi and Queensrÿche fail to reach the top 10 because their golden years were too ephemeral although some of their albums are among my favorite ever.

EDIT The Beatles do not really qualify for this top because either their live days did not yield so many tremendous songs (compared with the rest of their career), either those extraordinary songs were written when they were more of a studio band, the bandmates (and George Martin) being rather "lab assistant arrangers" ;) . The same goes more or less for Pink Floyd since Animals: it had stopped being really a band.

EDIT2: ok, I had forgotten Scorpions. Out goes Dream Theater...

Why would The Beatles stop being a band just because they did not perform live anymore, they were still a band.

Same goes for the others you mentioned

Top 11 for me:

11. Ahab
10. Mercyful Fate
9. Slayer
8. Pearl Jam
7. Queensryche
6. Death
5. ABBA
Technically tied because I can't decide which is better, but both could possibly be number 1. Since I can't figure it out however...
4. Iron Maiden
3. Megadeth
And because nostalgia is a bitch:
2. Led Zeppelin
1. The Beatles

What I most often listen to these days:
Blink-182 (+Box Car Racer, they're kinda the same thing)
Alizée
Angels and Airwaves
Dream Theater

Then again, Angels and Airwaves is very inconsistent and Alizee is 50% song quality, 50% infatuation so not completely objective either. If I were to list my favourite bands it would look something like this:

1) Dream Theater
2) Blink-182 (+BCR)
3) Joe Satriani

Iron Maiden is very difficult to rank because I don't actively listen to or enjoy them but they introduced me to all the other bands I've since started to like. They're sort of an eternal #1 even though on a daily basis I'm enjoying other bands a lot more. And then would follow my tier 2 favourites such as Judas Priest, Sabaton, Angels and Airwaves, Alizée, Gojira etc.

MbaQr.png

I'm not sure I can come up with a reliable list or ranking, but ten bands that have persistently been dominant in my listening habits in recent years, and could thus be considered my favourites, are Iron Maiden, Atlantean Kodex, Primordial, Grand Magus, Alter Bridge, Sabaton, Dio, Queen, Black Sabbath and Iced Earth.

Opeth, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Dream Theater, Bloodbath, Death, Black Sabbath, King Crimson, Pink Floyd and Depeche Mode would be my Top 10. I'd put Wu-Tang Clan in the Top 10 if the solo albums of its members count.

Judas Priest, Rush, Rainbow and The Clash just miss out.

Also no order, but these bands are always in my top list:

Iron Maiden
Dio (including all of his bands and projects)
Opeth
Symphony X
Dream Theater
Sabaton
Clutch
Kamelot
Metallica
Armored Saint

At present time, I'm listening to...

Dokken
The Darkness
Europe