Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

"Music mogul Barry McKay... says he owns the copyright". I assume this means the copyright of Lying In My Shadow by Brian Quinn or Life's Shadow by Beckett; or both. I don't know anything about Beckett; was Brian Quinn in Beckett?

I know, but the article is so ambiguously worded that it is not clear what copyright McKay really owns!

Even though we all know about another album already, it's great to see they keep confirming it. Can't wait for them to start hinting at a possible release date.

I think they will start to write late this year. Time is running out and they know it.

Agreed. I think they know they have to do it as soon as they can. There's supposedly material left over from TBOS, too.

Nothing about it in the fan club mags. As for "musical ideas", there are always leftovers, but I'm quite sure all the actual songs have been rehearsed, recorded and used. "Someone who knows someone" told me at Antwerpen that they would begin work at the end of the year, supposedly in autumn, and that the album would be recorded in Paris. They rehearsed there for the current tour, I was told. Since the rumours about the two gigs in Paris this year proved to be bullshit, I don't know what to think.

If there is unused material, it was probably dropped for a reason. I would prefer it if they started from scratch and I hope they will put a lot of effort into writing this time. After all it might be their final one.

Eh no Srogy. By that attititude we would not have the last title track. Janick came with this at TFF sessions. Steve liked it but said it did not fit the album. It was kept and used on the next record.

Arrgghh, don't write these words, don' say them, don't even think them :).Edit : I was referring to Srogyy. Foro has been faster and I completely agree with him.
I get what you say, but they tend to actually work on leftovers and improve them. See the four songs of Virtual XI. I guess it's not only the singer change that makes them great, they must have been modified in some way. And see When the Wild Wind Blows : it was a song Steve had given up at some point and he had decided to work on it again. This is a personal opinion, of course, but I see it as their best song of the last 20 years, so leftovers are not always subpar songs.

Eh no Srogy. By that attititude we would not have the last title track. Janick came with this at TFF sessions. Steve liked it but said it did not fit the album. It was kept and used on the next record.
From what I understand, he just came up with the main riff. Steve wrote a melody line on top of this in the early sessions for the last album, failed to record and save it, and had to write a new one (the one we know). What is funny (and perfectly relevant for our discussion) is that he said that Janick thought he was bullshitting him when he said he liked the music.

Also, according to Adrian around the time DoD was released, he actually wrote more songs for it than made the album and suggested they'd be used next time. Considering he mentioned something about them being maybe a bit heavier and riff-based, I'm fairly certain at least some of those songs ended up on AMOLAD. Which is full of great tracks, sooooooo...

Janick came with this at TFF sessions. Steve liked it but said it did not fit the album. It was kept and used on the next record.
Oh, right. Now that you've said it, it rings a bell.

I thought it's better to start from scratch, because TBoS (the album) doesn't ooze with inspiration and I find it unlikely that they've come up with something brilliant in Paris and didn't use it. TBoS is also more of a conceptual mishmash than TFF, so I'm not sure if there was something great which was dropped because it didn't fit the whole. But sure, moving ideas to other albums had happened before and it can pay off, as you've pointed out. I just wish they would take their time with writing and arrangement as opposed to improvise in studio.

I think the next album will be AMOLAD good. They are probably more motivated than ever to make a classic.

Source? I don't doubt you, but would like to read more about it.

Oh, right. Now that you've said it, it rings a bell.

I thought it's better to start from scratch, because TBoS (the album) doesn't ooze with inspiration and I find it unlikely that they've come up with something brilliant in Paris and didn't use it.

I beg to differ; it is my second favourite post-reunion album. It might not be as great as AMOLAD (IMHO one of the top 5 Maiden albums of all time), but it features great material aplenty.

Also, according to Adrian around the time DoD was released, he actually wrote more songs for it than made the album and suggested they'd be used next time. Considering he mentioned something about them being maybe a bit heavier and riff-based, I'm fairly certain at least some of those songs ended up on AMOLAD. Which is full of great tracks, sooooooo...

On that note, part of me wonders why Passchendale was released on DoD, rather than being held off for AMOLAD

Back