European Politics

So did I @TheFlash. Basically it means that Benedict Cumberbatch won.

Edit: there's been 2 pages since Foro posted loads of Dutch and The Flash said he understood all of it, so my original post is a bit out of date. This is what happens when you go to "first unread" and don't check the thread properly.

I guess the primary reaction outside of Netherlands is relief, as Wilders et.al. didn't have the success it was feared they would have.

@Forostar - what happened to the Dutch Labour party? There's been a general decline for European social democrat parties since their heyday in the 50s and 60s, but such a decline from one election to another ... how is that even possible without a major scandal?

We have presidential elections next month and this guy's candidacy just got approved:

ljubisa-preletacevic-beli.jpg

58c13a9d-2e08-47cd-9272-43d40a0a0a66-ljubisa-preletacevic-beli-2-preview.jpg

58c13ab6-38f8-453a-8bf1-426a0a0a0a66-ljubisa-preletacevic-izbori-previewOrg.jpg

C6l0k0WWsAAx1Qn.jpg
So far he promised he'll open a Lamborgini factory in Serbia, build a new (Serbian) Dubai, an iPhone factory, open Serbian Space Agency and colonize Mars if he becomes president.

So far he promised he'll open a Lamborgini factory in Serbia, build a new (Serbian) Dubai, an iPhone factory, open Serbian Space Agency and colonize Mars if he becomes president.

That sounds like a lot of empty words if he's not going to make sure that everyone will be paid with candy.

On a more serious note, his role in the elections is to attract people who didn't plan on voting, which in turn will prevent Vucic from winning in the first round.

I don't like him and feared the worst when his party came to power years ago, but I'm probably going to vote for Vučić this time. I think that the good opposition is still too disorganized and the bad (ultra nationalistic and racist) opposition is scary. At least I know what I'll get with Vučić. Someone else coming in and trying to change everything again would make things even worse.

This is a lambo

1949.jpg

...and this is Dubai.

Dubai-19911.jpg

Making knockoff iPhones is also cheap and easy.
Mars? Ah well. 4/5 election promises complete, who cares about Mars

According to tomorrow's newspapers, he's 2nd in the polls :D

Aleksandar Vučić (current prime-minister) has 53%, this guy (Ljubiša Preletačević Beli) has 11%. If Vučić gets more than 50%, he will be the new president. He will put someone from his party or someone else who he can control as the new prime-minister and nothing will truly change. If Vučić gets less than 50%, there will be a 2nd round with Vučić and 2nd best candidate.

Current polls are:
Vučić 53%
Beli 11%
Saša Janković (former national ombudsman who is an independent candidate; don't particulary like him but he isn't too bad either) 10,6%
Šešelj (idiot racist nationalist cunt, right wing) 8,7%
Vuk Jeremić (lost the elections to be come United Nations Secretary-General, was 2nd; also independent; he's also OK but don't think he's president material) 6,9%
Boško Obradović 3,5% (racist homophobic nationalistic piece of shit excuse for a human, right wing) 3,5%
plus 5-6 more who have no chance.

Šešelj getting into the potential 2nd round is a nightmare scenario. Don't even wanna think about it. I'd honestly rather have Trump as my president than this guy.

On the problems with Turkey:
Please turn on English subtitles:
Haha :D

On a more serious note: Even though the remarks from Erdogan and his comrades are way off the mark, I'm not sure I agree with the Dutch decision of not allowing these Turkish politicians in. Throw flaming criticism at them, fine. But to outright deny someone to come and speak at political meetings (I assume they had been invited by Turks living in the Netherlands) you need a very good reason. Freedom of speech is valued highly in the Netherlands, so it comes across as odd to say "we don't like your opinion, so you can't come here".

If you can shed some more light on the arguments for not allowing them to enter, feel free - because i assume there was more to it than just disdain for their cause.

To be fair, it's not uncommon for that stance to be taken by democracies - freedom of speech can be (I am not saying should be) construed to mean people in the country already.

I am more interested to learn if there were some legit reasons to refuse the minister entry - except "we don't want you to spread your message here". I mean, did the Turkish government lie about their intentions or break an earlier agreed deal on what was to happen?

Mind you, I think the nazi remarks from Erdogan et.al. are disgraceful and I have no sympathy for him or his cause at all. I just hope that when the Dutch government closed the door the way they did, it was for a better reason than appeasing potential Wilders voters.

Haha :D

On a more serious note: Even though the remarks from Erdogan and his comrades are way off the mark, I'm not sure I agree with the Dutch decision of not allowing these Turkish politicians in. Throw flaming criticism at them, fine. But to outright deny someone to come and speak at political meetings (I assume they had been invited by Turks living in the Netherlands) you need a very good reason. Freedom of speech is valued highly in the Netherlands, so it comes across as odd to say "we don't like your opinion, so you can't come here".

If you can shed some more light on the arguments for not allowing them to enter, feel free - because i assume there was more to it than just disdain for their cause.
O no. It wasn't as simple as this. I think I have posted an article which described what happened and how it escalated.

Back