Dream Theater

While listening to the Astonishing yesterday, during "The Path That Divides" I began to wonder what if the story had taken a very different turn:

What if Arhys had done the same thing Anakin did in Star Wars EP III (ROTS) and instead of fighting Daryus, pledged his loyalty to him for being devious enough to defeat Arhys with an impossible decision without striking a single blow. Arhys realizes there is much to learn from Daryus and, as a way of keeping him and his son together in the palace, promise to join Daryus. If Daryus accepts this offer, then Arhys would summon Gabriel to a public meeting where he would pledge his public loyalty to Lord Nefaryus and tell his troops this would be their one chance to go with him to join the Empire. He then would turn over Gabriel to Daryus to save his son. A New World indeed...

Darth Arhys!

Who's getting excited by this?

"Hi, I'm doing something new."

Portnoy is constantly doing new things. The man's activity is beyond perception.

That said, I'll raise my eyebrows if he would collaborate with Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson.

Last edited:
It's new in the sense that he hasn't done prog metal since leaving DT. In some ways this is his "Accident of Birth" moment for a lot of his fans.

To add to that comparison, it is all but confirmed that Derek Sherinian is involved.

I'm looking forward to it, but since Portnoy isn't really a songwriter it depends more on who he's working with. Still I could see a lot of good coming from this. DT could use some competition.

Just like Bruce after Maiden, I'm glad he tried some different stuff. But I'm excited for him to get back to prog metal.

Since we're talking about drummers being songwriters, here's a new interview with Mangini:

Watch him try to remain positive while talking about his lack of respect and songwriting credits at 4:05.

"I am not yet… Let's put it this way: That's the difference, on one level, between Mike [Portnoy, original DREAM THEATER drummer] being in the band for so long and then me coming in is that he's vested in that, so he's part of the arranging and part of all that, while as I observe now — being an observer — John [Petrucci, guitar], Jordan [Rudess, keyboards] and John [Myung, bass] are writing the music. I have to say this the right way, but they are — they are writing the music. Their instruments demand it. Drums don't write songs, you know, like that, but you affect the songs. I'm sure the role I had on the self-titled album was something similar to what Mike [Portnoy] was doing, but way not as involved. I was involved as a drummer, but how much can I suggest? I have to say what? 'Oh, sound like this.' 'Play that.' 'let's do three of these, five of those.' But it's still the other guys making those chord progressions. You understand what I'm trying to say? So the difference, if you're wondering, that's gotta be a big difference… Mike's part of it; he's involved in those arrangements and things more than I have been yet. But understand something: I've entered a few bands, and I watch a lot of sports. You don't show up on somebody else's team demanding… You don't demand respect — you earn it. It takes time. And so little by little, I'm doing what I'm asked. I'm doing a little bit more, and that is where it is a different thing."

I think I posted that here, very revealing interview. I'm thinking he will be out after 2 years.

I merged all the 12 Step Suite songs into one and listened to it like that for the first time a few weeks ago and it made me appreciate these songs much more.

Order of favorites:
1. Root
2. Prison
3. Soul
4. Fortress
5. Repentance

3-5 is set in stone, tough to decide between 1 and 2.
It's changed by now.
1. Soul
2. Fortress
3. Root
4. Prison
5. Repentance (doubt this one will ever move up)

Did listening to Repentance with the other songs help you at least appreciate it more? It drags on the album, but I think the length is necessary given the length of the suite as a whole. 10 out of 50 minutes for a slower tune makes sense IMO.

I do not think it's that bad per se, but compared to other 4 juggernauts in the suite it doesn't hold up at all. Plus the whole talking thing in the 2nd part is distracting.

The transition from that song to Shattered Fortress is the worst in the suite, partly because of the talking part. I get what he was going for, but it seems poorly executed.

I don't really like any part of the suite besides The Glass Prison. That one is a top tier DT song though.

I think Glass Prison and This Dying Soul are 25 minutes of the most intense music I've ever heard. I was lucky enough to see them play both back to back in 2004, and I still don't understand how the rhythm section could physically do it. I can barely get through Glass Prison on bass without my hands cramping up.

Back