Dream Theater

By the way - is this it, is this the whole tour or will there be additional dates? I seem to have seen someone state that there are more dates to come, but I don't see that sentence anywhere in the official announcement.

Edit: Sorry, it's right there on the official page, it wasn't in the Facebook announcement. Never mind.

Well, ever since I got my wife into DT (and, well, metal as a whole), we had the choice to go see them doing The Astonishing in full and that only in the neighbouring countries and now 25th anniversary of I&W, which is not a favourite of either of us (we both love Systematic and I would choose SDOIT for my #2, she'd pick 8um)

So there's the possibility we will finally see them live in 2021 :D

I wonder how worried one should be about grabbing tickets as quick as possible. Surely I&W is bound to get many people interested but will they sell out fast?

I think they should let Mike Portnoy rejoin the band. It's a shame. He is co creator of DT and they wouldn't even let him back. I don't like Jordan having so much influence on the writing.

So wouldn't the solution be firing Jordan, not bringing MP back? :p

Bring back Kevin Moore! Bring back Derek Sherinian and his crack cocaine!

In all seriousness, I think Dream Theater would benefit from making an album with a real producer that is allowed to guide the songwriting. Though I'm not the biggest fan of everything he did to Opeth, I'd love to hear a Steven Wilson-produced DT record.

The owner of DTF says that the opener for the I&W tour is something he would never expect as a show opener. This guy is definitely legit. Any thoughts?

They are also talking about hints of ACOS being played by Mangini on twitter, but I can't find anything and I'm too lazy to read through the thread to find it.

Kevin Moore would be awesome to bring back right now.

And good point about bringing in another producer. They could use that to refresh things. I think Charlie Beaufort would be a good and interesting choice.

I was listening to Awake today and man Kevin Moore shines all over that record. He mastered the role of the "enhancer" as the keyboardist, so many nice touches.

And as an unrelated takeaway from my listening session, the chromatic frenzy in the middle of Caught in a Web is one of the coolest things JP has ever pulled off.

Just realized something...

XkqL4j7.jpg

I wonder - how would the last DT album sound like with James... Hetfield in cheese's stead and how would Hardwired sound with LaBrie included? Since you mentioned the names anyway... :D

I wonder - how would the last DT album sound like with James... Hetfield in cheese's stead and how would Hardwired sound with LaBrie included? Since you mentioned the names anyway... :D

Oh my Dio...both would sound horrendous.

"We're so fucked, shit out of luck," sounds lame when Hetfield does it - I can only imagine how incredibly terrible LaCheese would sound doing it.

But then again, now I really want to hear Hetfield bust out, "My music PLAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY...........AH!"

This part has me interested:

Full-length novel of "The Astonishing", adding new plot lines and intrigue, additional characters and motivations, answers to fan questions, as well as explanations and ideas not explored on the album

I think there is a decent story built within The Astonishing, but I think the album format does not really highlight the things that might make it interesting. For instance: why do we keep talking about Evangeline, but never see her? What's going on with the townspeople and the kingdom that Nefaryus rules under?

I bought Rush's Clockwork Angels book by Kevin J. Anderson and, although I enjoyed it and it gave me a better appreciation of the album (even though I already loved the album), I feel like the band covered all of the most interesting plot moments in their music. With The Astonishing, I feel like a lot of interesting characters and plot was left on the cutting room floor in favor of melodrama.

There's no way I'm paying $75.00 for this, though. I might check out the regular paperback version when they inevitably release it.

I merged all the 12 Step Suite songs into one and listened to it like that for the first time a few weeks ago and it made me appreciate these songs much more.

Order of favorites:
1. Root
2. Prison
3. Soul
4. Fortress
5. Repentance

3-5 is set in stone, tough to decide between 1 and 2.

I merged all the 12 Step Suite songs into one and listened to it like that for the first time a few weeks ago and it made me appreciate these songs much more.

Order of favorites:
1. Root
2. Prison
3. Soul
4. Fortress
5. Repentance

3-5 is set in stone, tough to decide between 1 and 2.

Interesting, my favourite parts of the Suite by far are The Glass Prison and This Dying Soul, followed by Fortress, Root and Repentance.

Back