Death Metal

Blood Music, an excellent new distributor of old and new obscure metal and metal related music is releasing Scum - Trilogian Tales, Originally from 1996 but never released.

The 1990s were a magical time for death metal, and a strange one. The style bullied its way into the popular consciousness in the early part of the decade, making it look like it might actually be commercially viable for a hot minute. Big labels briefly toyed with investing big money in death metal bands like Morbid Angel. The ensuing gold rush led a whole generation of up-and-coming acts to experiment with blowing up death metal’s brutality into bigger, more ambitious, and more accessible proportions.

This atmosphere birthed Finland’s Scum, who released a pair of albums during the mid-’90s on the legendary Black Mark Production label — best known as the home of black metal founders Bathory — before petering out in 1996 due to lack of audience interest. Like their labelmates Edge of Sanity and countrymen Amorphis, Scum made music that rumbled with Scandinavian death metal’s characteristic gritty buzz, but also stretched itself proglike, dabbling in 10-minute song structures, clean vocals, tear-jerking guitar harmonies, ponderous tempos, and extended keyboard interludes. It’s an odd approach compared to the slick and bouncy direction that death metal’s melodic wing has gone in since, and remains just as oddly resonant for its keening melodies and sweeping scope.

Before dissolving, Scum self-financed one final album called Garden Of Shadows, which ultimately went unreleased by Black Mark. After 20 years of lying fallow, this death metal time capsule is enjoying a proper day in the sun, and deservedly so. Scum may not have gained traction in their day, but their last effort is a gem — a ragged, glorious document of its peculiar moment, as vaulting and epic as it is gnarly. They really don’t make melodic death metal albums this fantastically scummy anymore, and album centerpiece “Trilogian Tales” really cranks up the soaring ’90s excesses to 11.

Last edited:

Great EP. Music is a combo between old school melodic heavy metal (most of the time) and modern thrash/death/black (harsh vocals and some pretty brutal moments).

Last edited:
I keep forgetting this thread also contains melodic death metal.

Edit: my mistake, they class themselves as 'glorious extreme metal'. :D I suppose the choral parts have some glory about them.

Last edited:
Two Bolt Thrower singers doing one song together on stage! Nice to see these oldies having fun. And awesome sound together. :)

Here's MEMORIAM performing the BOLT THROWER classic 'Inside the Wire' at the Eindhoven Metal Meeting which was held at the Effenaar in Eindhoven, Netherlands on the 17th of December 2016. Former BOLT THROWER vocalist David Ingram joined them onstage for the song.

Last edited:
Fuck this is good:

MEMORIAM, the new Birmingham, United Kingdom-based death/grind metal band featuring Karl Willets (BOLT THROWER) on vocals, Frank Healy (BENEDICTION, CEREBRAL FIX) on bass, Scott Fairfax (CEREBRAL FIX) on guitar and Andy Whale (BOLT THROWER) on drums, will release its debut album, "For The Fallen", on March 24 through Nuclear Blast Records. It will contain eight tracks, including "War Rages On", "Resistance" (both featured on "The Hellfire Demos I") and "Surrounded (By Death)" (featured on "The Hellfire Demos II"). The album's impressive artwork was created by Dan Seagrave (BENEDICTION, DISMEMBER, HYPOCRISY, SUFFOCATION).
memoriamforthefallencd.jpg

Dan stated about the artwork: "Starting from the band's thoughts on visualizing a kind of funeral procession with a theme of combat, war and in conjunction with the title 'For The Fallen', as with all my works, I then attempt to make the information evolve in my mind's eye, and allow imagination to take over those elements but retaining the core concept. The painting thus depicts a funeral procession moving through a long-wartorn cityscape. Twisted shards of towers and buildings. A cathedral facade stands defiantly, yet riddled with destruction and decay. At closer insp,ection the structures all seem to be infected with an element of natural decomposition, as if organically inclined to fade with the demise of the season, the season itself lost in a timeless void. The figures appear as remnants of once soldiers, now strange in their gathered mass, drawn forwards by the drifting momentum of the procession. Unaware of their emaciated state they follow the commander. The commander's elongated appearance is tattered and almost creature-like, with the combat-style elements and gasmask falsely presenting as a costume. The procession appears almost ghost-like, ancient and serene, slowly moving through this eerie place as if forever. Far in the background there might still be a war happening, but perhaps in another time. As we view a sublevel of reality, lost in the present, captured in light, where the war had passed through and we are left in a ghost biology, where chemicals and history meet to create an inescapable surrealism."

To give a first taster of what to expect from this highly-anticipated record, the first single from "For The Fallen", "Reduced To Zero", can be streamed below.

Willetts stated about the track: "'Reduced To Zero' is a comment on the times that we live in. In a world that is dominated by fear, hatred and intolerance, the song is a direct result of Brexit and Trump and the general rise of right wing nationalistic xenophobia."

"For The Fallen" track listing:

Digi

01. Memoriam
02. War Rages On
03. Reduced To Zero
04. Corrupted System
05. Flatline
06. Surrounded (By Death)
07. Resistance
08. Last Words

LP

Side A

01. Memoriam
02. War Rages On
03. Reduced To Zero
04. Corrupted System

Side B

01. Flatline
02. Surrounded (By Death)
03. Resistance
04. Last Words

MEMORIAM was primarily developed to fill the void that was left following the tragic death of Martin "Kiddie" Kearns, the drummer from BOLT THROWER, back in September 2015. BOLT THROWER subsequently placed all activity on hold for the foreseeable future which gave Karl Willetts an opportunity to develop a new project with friends that had expressed interest in forming a band for some time.

MEMORIAM is an old-school death metal band, maintaining the standards set by their previous bands, focusing on the themes of death, loss and war. Initially, the bandmembers got together to play covers of songs that had influenced them throughout their careers within the death metal scene. However, it soon became apparent that the new songs that they created were of a superior standard.

So, I've been on a death metal run this week and I intend to continue. However, I need a couple of suggestions. Would appreciate if people with a wider knowledge of death metal here gave me a couple of albums they consider to be Must Hear.

Albums from bands outside of Death, Morbid Angel, Bloodbath, Necrophagist, Cannibal Corpse, Cynic and Atheist, as I'm already familiar with these ones.

First suggestion is to go through the last 15 pages (if you haven't already) because there's been a lot of great DM posted (both new and classic must hear albums) and I'm sure you'll be able to find a few new favorites among them!

I'd say, besides the band you mentioned you also need to listen to some:

Carcass - Necroticism or Heartwork probably...

Deicide - Once Upon The Cross

Ripping Corpse - Dreaming With The Dead

Cryptopsy - None So Vile

I'm sure all of these albums have been posted here in the past though :D

Last edited:
So, I've been on a death metal run this week and I intend to continue. However, I need a couple of suggestions. Would appreciate if people with a wider knowledge of death metal here gave me a couple of albums they consider to be Must Hear.

Albums from bands outside of Death, Morbid Angel, Bloodbath, Necrophagist, Cannibal Corpse, Cynic and Atheist, as I'm already familiar with these ones.
Gojira - The Way of All Flesh! One of my strict favourite albums of all time. Definitely a must hear.

First suggestion is to go through the last 15 pages (if you haven't already) because there's been a lot of great DM posted (both new and classic must hear albums) and I'm sure you'll be able to find a few new favorites among them!

Sure, but I'm looking for a shortlist. Can't listen to everything at once.

Sure, but I'm looking for a shortlist. Can't listen to everything at once.

Understandably - but it's s quick way to add bands to a "must check out" list if you like what you hear :) And there's a lot of great underrated bands with amazing albums within these pages that won't make the top lists...

Last edited:
I agree with Sixes. Nonetheless, here are some all time favourites of mine and you might have seen me promoting some of these already.

Nordic Europe:
Amon Amarth - Versus the World (2002)
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus (1992) & Tales from the Thousand Lakes (1994)
The Arcane Order - The Machinery of Oblivion (2006)
Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder (1999)
Soilwork - The Chainheart Machine (2000)
Scar Symmetry - Symmetric in Design (2005) & Pitch Black Progress (2006)

Western Europe:
Gorefest - False (1992)
Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients (1991)

USA:
Nocturnus - The Key (1990) & Tresholds (1992)
Six Feet Under - Haunted (1995)

Last edited:
Hail Of Bullets

THE WAR IS OVER… IT IS DONE!

With sadness in our hearts, we hereby inform you that we have decided to pull the plug on Hail of Bullets. The patient had been suffering from illness for a few years already. We thought we had cut out the disease a few years ago, but apparently the tumor was more widespread than we had expected.

There are no immediate plans to resurrect the corpse…

PS: personal messages/questions about this situation will not be answered. This is it, and both you and us will have to deal with that...

:(

@Night Prowler
God Dethroned comments: “‘The World Ablaze‘ is our final album in the WWI trilogy. We aimed to create an album that is very dynamic and diverse. It contains typical GD riffing with loads of melodies and catchy hooks. The songs are perfect for our live shows as they contain many mid-tempo parts combined with faster and more brutal parts. Diversity to the max! Dan Swano mixed the album in his typical fashion but without robbing the band of its own identity. Mastering was handled at the Wisseloord Studios where they also mastered albums for bands like Rammstein, among many others, and they put the icing on the cake. The album sounds crystal clear and heavy as fuck at the same time.”

Last edited:
Back