Death Metal

I see what you mean, but I disagree - anyway, my favourites are probably Symbolic and Spiritual Healing.

1st 3 cds (sbg, leprosy & sh) are classics from Hell! However, i do admit that the last cd (tsop) is amazing.

With these four to me it's exactly like comparing Iron Maiden and Killers to Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son, my favourite IM albums. Love them all but it's like comparing two different bands.

Scream Bloody Gore is turning 30 years old this month. :eek:

Not as familiar with this as I am some of their later stuff, but still a cool album. The Iron Maiden - Killers/SIT - SSOASS comparison is a good one.

Here's my unpopular death metal opinion:

Scream Bloody Gore and Leprosy are better albums than Individual Thought Patterns and The Sound of Perseverance.

Agree or disagree?

whatever...

Human and Symbolic are better than all those 4...

I've bought a few months ago a digital album by Shylmagoghnar. It's called Emergence, and I think it can be labelled as death metal. Absolutely brilliant, the best thing I've bought in ages.

So I've a question for those in the know - I've been getting into Morbid Angel lately, or at the very least their debut, which has already found a place in my overall favorite albums top 10. However, everything I've heard from the band's other albums hasn't been that impressive. So, to anyone who's listened to MA, what's your favorite album by them and why? I've heard a lot of good things about their other albums, but like I said, the songs I've heard haven't been that great, so I'm curious to hear what other listeners think.

I haven't heard anything by them in quite some time, but when I used to, I rembember my favourites being:

- Blessed Are the Sick - somewhat similar to the debut, yet different - they utilise a bit more doom there (though not to the extent of Autopsy's Mental Funeral, IIRC), the soloing is a bit more cohesive and thought out and I liked the riffs better.

- Formulas Fatal to the Flesh - very atmospheric (does not mean "ambient"!) and unique, almost proggy at times, possibly their most colourful album.

BTW, I guess I've never thought Domination was really that much of a sell-out as everyone seems to do.

Last edited:
Altars of Madness and Domination are my favorite Morbid Angel albums. Though it's been a while since I've played Blessed Are the Sick and Gateways to Annihilation, probably should revisit sometime.

Altars of Madness is just so relentless. There's pure evil spewing out of that record. It's also one of the first death metal albums that really went to town with the blast beats, quite influential in that regard. Domination is much more reformed, but it has some of the band's best songwriting. "Where the Slime Live" and "Dawn of the Angry" are unmatched in their discography.

Now i know why it was hard to find. It is 1 of the bonus tracks that was always on the cd only, Land of No Return

Back