Lineups, Live Songs and Productivity in the 1970s

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
@lira, you shared this overview somewhere else (Iron Maiden Pub - facebook) and I hope you don't mind that we can disclose this on Maidenfans as well. First I thought about doing it here and/or here, but then I thought that the seventies deserve a place of their own. It would be great to build a chronological list of dates, with as much of the following info as possible:

city / name venue / address (location) venue / current state venue (what happened to it; is it still more or less the same / is it still accessible) / line-up / setlist

But this serves as a good beginning. If you have (or anyone else has) additional information and sources (or credits) for the following info, please do share! Here we go:

- - - - - - -
I: '75-'76 / Lineup: Paul Day, Terry Rance, Dave Sullivan, Steve Harris, Ron Matthews
15220236_10211309916443316_2455565685864852671_n.jpg

= = = = = = =
"pre" KILLERS:
1. Wrathchild
2. Another Life
3. Innocent Exile
4. Floating
5. Drifter

"pre" IRON MAIDEN:
1. Strange World
2. Iron Maiden

"pre" SINGLE songs:
1. Burning Ambition
2. I've Got the Fire

Non-recorded songs:
1. Jailbreak
2. Smoke On the Water
3. Rock Candy
4. Simple Man
- - - - - - -

- - - - - - -
II: '76 / Lineup: Dennis Willcock, Terry Rance, Dave Sullivan, Steve Harris, Ron Matthews
"pre" KILLERS:
1. Wrathchild
2. Another Life
3. Innocent Exile
4. Floating
5. Drifter

"pre" IRON MAIDEN:
1. Prowler
2. Transylvania
3. Strange World
4. Iron Maiden

"pre" SINGLE songs:
1. Burning Ambition
2. I've Got the Fire

Non-recorded songs:
1. (She's a) Striker
- - - - - - -

- - - - - - -
III: '76-'77 / Lineup: Dennis Willcock, Dave Murray, Bob Sawyer, Steve Harris, Ron Matthews
15203153_10211309577234836_8520387441799448819_n.jpg

= = = = = = =
"pre" KILLERS:
1. Wrathchild
2. Another Life
3. Innocent Exile
4. Floating
5. Drifter

"pre" IRON MAIDEN:
1. Prowler
2. Transylvania
3. Strange World
4. Charlotte the Harlot
5. Iron Maiden

"pre" SINGLE songs:
1. Burning Ambition
2. Sanctuary
3. Invasion
4. I've Got the Fire

Non-recorded songs:
1. Highway Road In Time
- - - - - - -

- - - - - - -
IV: '77-'78 / Lineup: Dennis Willcock, Terry Wapram, Steve Harris, Barry Purkis, Tony Moore
15284048_10211303965454545_7341206324580639430_n.jpg

= = = = = = =
"pre" KILLERS:
1. The Ides of March
2. Wrathchild
3. Another Life
4. Innocent Exile
5. Floating
6. Drifter

"pre" IRON MAIDEN:
1. Prowler
2. Transylvania
3. Strange World
4. Charlotte the Harlot
5. Iron Maiden
6. Phantom of the Opera

"pre" SINGLE songs:
1. Burning Ambition
2. Sanctuary
- - - - - - -

- - - - - - -
V: '78 / Lineup: Dennis Willcock, Dave Murray, Steve Harris, Barry Purkis
"pre" KILLERS:
1. The Ides of March
2. Wrathchild
3. Another Life
4. Innocent Exile
5. Prodigal Son
6. Floating
7. Drifter

"pre" IRON MAIDEN:
1. Prowler
2. Phantom of the Opera
3. Transylvania
4. Strange World
5. Charlotte the Harlot
6. Iron Maiden

"pre" SINGLE songs:
1. Burning Ambition
2. Sanctuary
3. I've Got the Fire
- - - - - - -

- - - - - - -
VI: '78-'79 Lineup: Paul Di'Anno, Dave Murray, Paul Cairns, Steve Harris, Doug Sampson
15267744_10211300813455747_7696731435712280201_n.jpg

= = = = = = =
"pre" KILLERS:
1. The Ides of March
2. Wrathchild
3. Another Life
4. Innocent Exile
5. Prodigal Son
6. Drifter

"pre" IRON MAIDEN:
1. Prowler
2. Transylvania
3. Strange World
4. Charlotte the Harlot
5. Iron Maiden

"pre" SINGLE songs:
1. Burning Ambition
2. Sanctuary
3. Invasion
4. I've Got the Fire

Non-recorded songs:
1. Doctor, Doctor (?)
- - - - - - -

- - - - - - -
VII: '79 / Lineup: Paul Di'Anno, Dave Murray, Tony Parsons, Steve Harris, Doug Sampson
15170888_10211295254876786_7411188713096540574_n.jpg

= = = = = = =
"pre" KILLERS:
1. The Ides of March
2. Wrathchild
3. Another Life
4. Innocent Exile
5. Drifter

"pre" IRON MAIDEN:
1. Prowler
2. Remember Tomorrow
3. Running Free
4. Phantom of the Opera
5. Transylvania
6. Strange World
7. Charlotte the Harlot
8. Iron Maiden

"pre" SINGLE songs:
1. Sanctuary
2. Invasion
3. I've Got the Fire

Non-recorded songs:
1. Ain't Talkin' About Love
- - - - - - -

- - - - - - -
VIII: '79-'80 / Lineup: Paul Di'Anno, Dave Murray, Dennis Stratton, Steve Harris, Clive Burr
15232290_10211294167929613_881215238970114780_n.jpg

= = = = = = =
Intros:
1. The Ides of March

"pre" KILLERS:
1. Wrathchild
2. Another Life
3. Innocent Exile
4. Killers
5. Drifter

IRON MAIDEN:
1. Prowler
2. Remember Tomorrow
3. Running Free
4. Phantom of the Opera
5. Transylvania
6. Strange World
7. Charlotte the Harlot
8. Iron Maiden

SINGLE songs:
1. Sanctuary
2. I've Got the Fire
- - - - - - -

PRODUCTIVITY

Line-ups and new self written songs that were played live:
I: '75-'76 / Lineup: Paul Day, Terry Rance, Dave Sullivan, Steve Harris, Ron Matthews
1. Wrathchild
2. Another Life
3. Innocent Exile
4. Floating
5. Drifter
6. Strange World
7. Iron Maiden
8. Burning Ambition

The first lineup was by far the most productive lineup before Bruce Dickinson joined the band: 1975-September 1981!

II: '76 / Lineup: Dennis Willcock, Terry Rance, Dave Sullivan, Steve Harris, Ron Matthews
1. Prowler
2. Transylvania

III: '76-'77 / Lineup: Dennis Willcock, Dave Murray, Bob Sawyer, Steve Harris, Ron Matthews
1. Charlotte the Harlot
2. Sanctuary
3. Invasion
4. Highway Road in Time

IV: '77-'78 / Lineup: Dennis Willcock, Terry Wapram, Steve Harris, Barry Purkis, Tony Moore
1. The Ides of March
2. Phantom of the Opera

V: '78 / Lineup: Dennis Willcock, Dave Murray, Steve Harris, Barry Purkis
1. Prodigal Son

VI: '78-'79 Lineup: Paul Di'Anno, Dave Murray, Paul Cairns, Steve Harris, Doug Sampson
None

VII: '79 / Lineup: Paul Di'Anno, Dave Murray, Tony Parsons, Steve Harris, Doug Sampson
1. Remember Tomorrow
2. Running Free

VIII: '79-'80 / Lineup: Paul Di'Anno, Dave Murray, Dennis Stratton, Steve Harris, Clive Burr

1. Killers

Last edited:
Id fuckin love to hear their version of Aint Talkin Bout Love. Great info. I knew some Killers songs pre dated songs from the debut but Im surprised to see quite how many.

Added "Productivity" to opening post. Find out which songs were brought in (and how many) by every seventies lineup.

Last edited:
Highway Road in Time is totally new to me. Is it mentioned in the bio you mention? Is there any other info on it? To me its intersting that it disappeared considering that all those other early songs materialised in recorded form. Any chance its a Deep Purple medley?

I read on Maiden77 facebook it is an original but the exact sources are not disclosed overthere. I hope @lira will provide us more background on the information.

I think the music for Highway Road in Time was reused for Black Bart Blues

Also, is Prodigal Son correct?

Was that not a newly written song for the Killers album that was never played live?

I think Nicko says it on the Listen With Nicko from the Can I Play With Madness/Evil that Men Do ep from the first ten years.

EDIT: I just listened to that listen with Nicko and he does not mention it. I can't remember where I got that information from but it must have been somewhere else, it may be one of the biographies?

Last edited:
Forostar please correct these 2 songs: "Transylvania" - erase it from the 1st lineup, "Prodigal Son" - erase it from the 4th lineup.

Explanation (given to SRFC also) is I believe (and I mean believe) "Transylvania" was composed at the same time as "Prowler" - some character/theme Willcock idealized when he joined the band. Those theatric antics were really his thing. I also believe Willcock wrote the lyrics, but somehow they decided to let it instrumental.

About "Prodigal Son", I asked Terry Wapram if he recalled playing or rehearsing that and he said there must had talkings about the song but... no, it was probably after him. Fact is they played "Prodigal Son" just after Murray rejoined the band. I don't know whether the title was a pun on his returning or else, but when they were back on February 1979 their slogan was "The return of the prodigal sons". And they played that song for a while. Steve Newhouse even has a set list in his book THE IRON MAIDEN YEARS from one of those first '79 Ruskin Arms gigs.

Last edited:
Highway Road in Time is totally new to me. Is it mentioned in the bio you mention? Is there any other info on it? To me its intersting that it disappeared considering that all those other early songs materialised in recorded form. Any chance its a Deep Purple medley?

"Highway Road in Time "was a Steve Harris composition from the Smiler era. According to Bob Sawyer, Iron Maiden played it a few times in 1977 and then left out of the set. He also said it had nothing to do with "Black Bart Blues" (but I guess we'll never know).

Cheers @lira I will get to this. But wasn't there a Purkis owned cassette with Prodigal Son on it? Remember? That was pre-Murray.

@lira What do we make of this? Pre-Wrapham. June 1977.
Pre-Di'Anno live material would also be welcome. According to Maiden77, a FB-page run by someone who claims to be in contact with Dennis Wilcock, and other old members:

- - - - - - posted on 2 January 2015 ----
People often ridicule the original members saying they contributed nothing to Iron Maiden success but the list below shows that by the time Dennis and Terry left in 1978 most of the first two albums had been written. The Music and lyrics had been written and contributed to by Paul Day, Dennis Willcock, Dave Sullivan, Terry Rance, Bob Sawyer, Terry Wapram, Ron Mathews, Barry Purkis and Tony Moore.. Did Steve and Dave Murray write the songs alone the answers is no.. as confirmed by several ex members that we have talked to so far hopefully full details of who wrote what will become clear in 2015
The Ides of March (Killers)
Drifter (Killers)
Sanctuary (Metal for Muthas) (US Iron Maiden)
Prowler (Iron Maiden)
Another life (Killers)
Prodigal Son (Killers)
Transylvania (Iron Maiden)
Strange World (Iron Maiden)
Floating (Purgatory)
Wrathchild (Killers)
Phantom of the Opera (Iron Maiden)
Charlotte (Iron Maiden)
The Pit (Became Innocent Exile) (Killers)
Iron Maiden (Iron Maiden)
all played in 1978.......

- - - - - -

Most remarkable is the inclusion of Prodigal Son! This was the only one from the Di'Anno-era albums that was seen as a never played song.
Here setlist information from 2 gigs (new info, to me at least, in red):

- - - - - -
Iron Maiden Set list 4/4/1978 (posted: 2 January 2015)
The Ides of March
Drifter
Sanctuary
Prowler
Another life
Prodigal Son
Transylvania
Strange World
Floating (Purgatory)
Wrathchild
Phantom of the Opera
Charlotte
The Pit (Became Innocent Exile)
Iron Maiden

Some comments underneath:
-Maiden77: Steve Harris owns this recording i'm afraid
-Maiden77: The Ides was from a Tony Moore keyboard part as Dennis remembers but the drums and bass were added by Barry and Steve Maiden just had lawyers and Barry didn't
-someone else called Bladimir Metalclep:
I think this show was on April 8th and not 4th, at The Bridge House in Canning Town. Line up for this show Dennis Willcock, Barry Purkis, Steve Harris & Dave Murray. Those April shows at The Bridge House were profesionally recorded and some tracks were edited on vinyl. I got a double LP with Filthy McNasty, Roll Ups and Remus Down Boulevard.
10428555_10205536312678135_3321940684120339523_n.jpg

- - - - - -

- - - - - -
Line up and set list Saturday 18th June 1977 (posted: 2 January 2015)
Line up Dave Murray, Dennis Willcock, Steve Harris, Bob Sawyer, Ron Mathews
Ive Got The Fire
Drifter
Sanctuary
Prowler
Burning Ambition
Another Life
Transylvania
Strange World
Floating
Charlotte
Wrathchild
Iron Maiden

At the Teviot Festival Highway Road in Time was also played as part of the set.

- - - - - -

Last edited:
Back