Iron Maiden members – a rough overview of their “live history”

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Let's see the Maiden band members in relation to songs which were played live. Quickest way to do this is, is checking out the songs they did not play. I don't see much point in listing Dennis, Paul, Clive and Blaze (or older members) in this topic because they haven't played tons of songs of course. So I rather focus on the current line-up. It's more interesting for comparing, and the live experiences of the boys are still bound to change (at least I hope so. ;) ).

Following the example of the other topic -Iron Maiden songs - a rough overview of their "live history"-, I will look at album songs (Sanctuary, Twilight Zone & Total Eclipse included) plus a few released non-album songs.

We can safely assume that Steve and Dave played all songs the others played. So the core of this topic will be about Adrian, Bruce, Nicko and Janick. In the Bruce list I won't mention instrumental songs for reasons you'll understand. :)

Adrian Smith did not play live the following songs, which were played live by Iron Maiden:
1. Invasion
2. The Ides of March
3. Tailgunner
4. Holy Smoke
5. No Prayer for the Dying
6. Public Enema Number One
7. The Assassin
8. Hooks in You
9. Be Quick or Be Dead
10. From Here to Eternity
11. Wasting Love
12. Fortunes of War
13. The Aftermath
14. Blood on the World's Hands
15. The Edge of Darkness
16. The Angel and the Gambler
17. Lightning Strikes Twice
18. When Two Worlds Collide
19. The Educated Fool
20. Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger

Bruce Dickinson did not play live the following songs, which were played live by Iron Maiden:
1. Invasion
2. Women in Uniform
3. Strange World
4. Fortunes of War
5. The Aftermath
6. Blood on the World's Hands
7. The Edge of Darkness
8. The Angel and the Gambler
9. Lightning Strikes Twice
10. When Two Worlds Collide
11. The Educated Fool
12. Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger

Nicko McBrain did not play live the following songs, which were played live by Iron Maiden:
1. Invasion
2. Women in Uniform
3. Strange World
4. The Ides of March
5. Genghis Khan
6. Innocent Exile
7. Twilight Zone
8. Purgatory
9. Total Eclipse

Janick Gers did not play live the following songs, which were played live by Iron Maiden:
1. I've Got the Fire
2. Invasion
3. Women in Uniform
4. Strange World
5. The Ides of March
6. Genghis Khan
7. Innocent Exile
8. Twilight Zone
9. Purgatory
10. Total Eclipse
11. Still Life
12. To Tame a Land
13. Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)
14. Back in the Village
15. Caught Somewhere in Time
16. Sea of Madness
17. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
18. Infinite Dreams

- - - - - - -

Adrian & Janick comparison:
Songs Adrian did live and Janick did not:
1. I've Got the Fire
2. Women in Uniform
3. Strange World
4. Genghis Khan
5. Innocent Exile
6. Twilight Zone
7. Purgatory
8. Total Eclipse
9. Still Life
10. To Tame a Land
11. Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)
12. Back in the Village
13. Caught Somewhere in Time
14. Sea of Madness
15. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
16. Infinite Dreams

Songs Janick did live and Adrian did not:
1. Tailgunner
2. Holy Smoke
3. No Prayer for the Dying
4. Public Enema Number One
5. The Assassin
6. Hooks in You
7. Be Quick or Be Dead
8. From Here to Eternity
9. Wasting Love
10. Fortunes of War
11. The Aftermath
12. Blood on the World's Hands
13. The Edge of Darkness
14. The Angel and the Gambler
15. Lightning Strikes Twice
16. When Two Worlds Collide
17. The Educated Fool
18. Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger

Last edited:
Cheers, Vap, you're welcome!

Don't you also think someone needs to point Maiden at that Janick list? Full of gems, played for the last time in the 1980s.
Err, well the Adrian list (songs not played since the "reunion") I also find interesting.  :)

My pleasure mtmccox!

Indeed, 2 AM never saw the light. Still, the band did play no less than 7 out of 11 songs from The X-Factor.

Forostar said:
Don't you also think someone needs to point Maiden at that Janick list? Full of gems, played for the last time in the 1980s.
Yes. Total Eclipse, the POM, SIT and SSOASS songs definitely need to be played live again!

I wouldn't mind seeing some more of those older songs too, Flight of Icarus for one!

Was just looking at the early days setlists... on that tour they played 6 from Iron Maiden, 4 from Killers, 3 from Number of the beast, 4 from Piece of mind. I wouldn't mind so much but the 3 they play from Number they play EVERY show anyway.. so there was nothing new/unusual from that album, and 3 of the Iron Maiden tracks have been played consistently over the years aswell (Running, Iron Maiden, Sanctuary ... prefer it if it was the other way round, Phantom/Remember Tomorrow are far better :p). Would've been better to have an even spread imho.

I'd love to see them do some of the earlier stuff again, I know they've just done a history tour but still :p Rather than just "old" songs, how about just having a few songs each night of "rarely played" rather than just "Old hits".

I was suprised to see Janick has played more songs than Adrian, but then I guess Janick has now been in the band for a longer total years than Adrian, which is.. wierd!

No, Janick hasn't been longer in band than Adrian. The answer is that '90s stuff isn't revisited like '80s stuff.

Adrian missed 4 album tours while Janick wasn't on 7 album tours.
Since 1999, Maiden played 6 1990s tracks live and more than 20 80s tracks live. They simply don't include '90s stuff in the setlist, that's why Adrian doesn't get the chance to play tracks that Janick alone played.

Adrian left when they had 7 albums in catalog, and returned when they had 11 albums in catalog. They had a bigger repository of songs to choose from when Janick replaced Adrian, than in Adrian's original run.
Vast number of '80s songs were played throughout the '90s and '00s while '90s songs were played only on subsequent album tours, in '90s.

It would be nice to note songs that Janick didn't play while Adrian wasn't in the band; Charlotte The Harlot, Another Life, Children Of The Damned, Revelations, Aces High, Powerslave, Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, Stranger In A Strange Land, Moonchild. All of those Janick played after Adrian rejoined.

Conclusion : since 1999, Maiden played 9 tracks that Janick never played before and 6 tracks that Adrian never played before.

Oh I know, Adrian has far more material than Janick under his belt in terms of albums, I was discussing it with someone the other day. But in terms of time he's been in longer;

Adrian 1981-1989(? Think thats right), 1999-2011 = 20years
Janick 1990-2011 = 21years

Adrians made a larger contribution in terms of song writing too :)

Material will of course mean a larger number of songs performed, but with Janicks stint in the band covering Ed Hunter (I mention because it covered a fair variety of the material) and both the history tours he has covered a sizeable chunk of them, as evidenced by the numbers in the first post. The reasons don't change the fact that Janick has played a larger amount of Maidens material live than Adrian ;)

Was merely making an observation and a "That's suprising, oh wait never mind" in my post rather than in internal monologue :) I'm aware of the reasons that Janick has a smaller list of unplayed songs - was never disputing it, but in terms of time.. Janick is just squeezing in ;) Suprised that the smallest of comments got such a large response ;)

Just incase, I'm not trying to be confrontational

Adrian Smith joined the band in 1980 - I think he was introduced at a live show the did in late summer/early autumn, but he was definitely at the Rainbow on 21st Dec. 1980.

In theory, Janick was introduced to a live audience in June 1989.  Bruce was doing a solo show at the Astoria in London, Janick was his guitarists and as an encore of that show, the Maiden line from No Prayer came onstage and played "The Trooper". But as 1989 was Maiden's "year off", it may not actually count.

Adrian Smith -> October 1980 to February 1990; 9 years 7 months
Janick Gers -> Februray 1990 to January 1999; 8 years 11 months

So up to this moment Adrian spent 22 years and 3 months in Iron Maiden, while Janick spent 21 years and 7 months. That should settle it once and for all.
Let's not even compare the output of those two periods - Adrian's is clearly off-the-scale by both quality and quantity.

In theory, Janick was introduced to a live audience in June 1989.  Bruce was doing a solo show at the Astoria in London, Janick was his guitarists and as an encore of that show, the Maiden line from No Prayer came onstage and played "The Trooper". But as 1989 was Maiden's "year off", it may not actually count.

Janick was Bruce's guitarist back then, nobody thought he would become Maiden's. In 1989 A.S.A.P was recording and touring and band didn't know Adrian is going to quit a year later.
Problems arose during NPFTD sessions in early 1990, not before.

Zare said:
Janick Gers -> Februray 1990
I disagree...
Night Prowler said:
According to Mick Wall's "Run To The Hills" book, Janick joined the band a day before the start of the recording of No Prayer For The Dying. According to Wikipedia, NPFTD recordings started in June 1990.

Btw. again according to that book, when Adrian left, he was replaced "quickly", so I guess that he left in May or June.

Zare said:
Janick was Bruce's guitarist back then, nobody thought he would become Maiden's.
I just checked my "Dive, Dive, Dive" CD that has some live tracks from that Bruce show at the Astoria. The year was 1990. My mistake. :)

Zare said:

So up to this moment Adrian spent 22 years and 3 months in Iron Maiden, while Janick spent 21 years and 7 months. That should settle it once and for all.

My bad on that one, I didn't have exact dates. I stand corrected and its always nice to learn new things :)

It's most probably just the fact that it's hard to get things to come across properly on the internet but it sounded like you were getting quite riled up when you posted that, I hope that's not the case (If so I apologise, I wasn't being ignorant I was just going on the best of my knowledge, which is obviously a little less precise than yours ;))

I disagree...

...and Steve Harris disagrees with you;  :D

It was recorded from January to April 1990 at my place, in my private recording studio. Originally, the recording was planned to start in April at the Battery Studios of London. But, as the new songs were written quickly, we started earlier and started working at my place so we could put everything on tape as fast as possible. As we'd recorded the stuff in the barn we use as a rehearsing studio, we were all very relaxed, without any external pressure, which accounts for the very "live" sound of the album.

Release date is 1st October 1990. There's a gap between finish of recording to release - mixing, mastering, distribution, promos, etc. Most recent example would be TFF where recording finished 1st of March and album was released mid August; 5 and a half months between, just like NPFTD.

There are no exact dates but my educated guess would be that they reconvened in mid January and Adrian was definitely out by mid-Februray. Janick was quickly summoned and after a quick audition he was in.
Or it could be March because Harris says that songs were already written when Janick got in fold. But even a month of sessions would produce that record. First the whole thing has an underdeveloped feel. Everything was written by Harris/Dickinson/Murray. Harris and Murray had a real year off and they surely had those ideas already at beginning of sessions. Hooks In You was written by Bruce and Adrian at the very beginning of sessions. Dickinson may have been busy for the whole 1989, but he contributed his solo song and a track that he had prepared for Somewhere In Time sessions (Run Silent Run Deep).

Thus, it's not illogical that sessions were quick and fast even if they had a change in line-up. Fresh people had some relatively fresh ideas that weren't developed enough due to haste, and they rehashed some stuff too.

Zare said:

That's not 7 months mate.

Zare said:

I agree with Zare that H is longer in the band than Janick but my guess is that the difference in time is smaller:
1-1,5 month if H left in January.
2-2,5 months if H left in February
3-3,5 months if H left in March.

My guess is January:

Before the 6 men line-up:
Adrian: 9 years and approx. 2-2,5 months
Janick: 9 years and approx. 1 month

Forostar, Nicko McBrain played "I've Got The Fire" in Newcastle, 1983. There's a bootleg called Newcastle Got The Fire which shows (maybe) the only time Maiden played it at the World Piece Tour.

Cool lira! I was not aware of that. Would be grand to find that recording. Have you got a link to the bootleg info and even better: the recording?

Forostar, you need to remove one song:
related to the Maiden England tour setlist from Janick's "not played" list - SSoaSS.

Back