Worst Iron Maiden Song

I can't see anything worse in their catalogue than Bring your Doughter... I understand that Bruce can write this horrible piece of s..., but I just can't understand how Steve could have asked him to save it for a Maiden album. A few years before, he had said that the stuff initialy presented to him for Somewhere in time was subpar AC/DC. But this is exactly what Bring sounds like. Hooks in You comes close. This thread reminds me of these things. I usually try to forget them.

It had hit single potential. Also I remember hearing that the stuff Bruce brought in for SIT was folksy acoustic stuff.

Either way, 1990 Maiden was a different band than 1986 Maiden. Different goals and an obviously different musical direction.

This year I determined that my least favorite Maiden song is by far Don't Look To the Eyes of a Stranger. Weekend Warrior has one nice part. DLTTEOAS has none.

DLTTEOAS is second on RTC's list. Even the Apparition depresses me less.

Though TAATG has some redeeming qualities.

Maybe I need to do a Maiden relisten again.

Age of innocence is freakin awesome . Damn it seems I've been defending this tune on here forever. Don't understand it. The song rocks. Very nice riffs and Bruce is on top of his game .
Maybe it's because it is surrounded by legendary maiden tracks on that near perfect album!
I affirmatively like Age of Innocence too. Musically it's very good, and the chorus is downright terrific. The lyrics are a bit awkward in their syntax at times, but the message is fine. Timely and still topical. I still remember when I was a kid, during weekends and summers I would leave the house in the morning, roam the neighborhood playing with other kids, and return around dinnertime, with my parents generally having only a vague idea where I was -- this was before cel phones and text messages. Every kid in my neighborhood did the same thing. These days, most parents won't let their kids do that, even in relatively nice neighborhoods, due to concerns about safety. And that is indeed a shame.
It literally sounds like my dad wrote those lyrics.
Well, duh! The lyrics were, in fact, written by a dad concerned about the world his kids will inherit:

dodbook10.jpg

It had hit single potential. Also I remember hearing that the stuff Bruce brought in for SIT was folksy acoustic stuff.
You are right. I was thinking about Adrian's stuff. Then at the end of the tape, Steve heard Wasted Years'intro, and it caught his attention. I don't know if the stuff he has rejected has since surfaced, but I find it quite strange that a few years later he welcomed the same kind of song (I imagine it is) on an album.

I affirmatively like Age of Innocence too. Musically it's very good, and the chorus is downright terrific. The lyrics are a bit awkward in their syntax at times, but the message is fine. Timely and still topical. I still remember when I was a kid, during weekends and summers I would leave the house in the morning, roam the neighborhood playing with other kids, and return around dinnertime, with my parents generally having only a vague idea where I was -- this was before cel phones and text messages. Every kid in my neighborhood did the same thing. These days, most parents won't let their kids do that, even in relatively nice neighborhoods, due to concerns about safety. And that is indeed a shame.

Well, duh! The lyrics were, in fact, written by a dad concerned about the world his kids will inherit:

dodbook10.jpg
Meaning my dad applying trite bumper sticker logic about a complex subject to that he knows little about through a lens of nostalgic paranoia (sorry dad). I'm a dad as well, but wouldn't write those lyrics!

To each their own. We're all fans of Maiden. The social commentary stuff is just generic and phoned in populist fluff from my vantage point. I just concentrate on the vocal melody and enjoy the music on those songs. Your mileage may vary.

Haven't replied to this. Weekend Warrior. End discussion.
I have to agree with you there. I also don't care for The Assassin or Monstegur. I agree with Soundwave on this one; each to their own, we're all Maiden fans and we all have different tastes.

Monstegur is a strange one for me; love most of it, the heaviness and whatnot but dislike the court jester style part (think i stole that description from someone on here) but oddly i think it works for the final 'gates and the walls' part.
Kinda like Crazy Train; great menacing metal parts combined with an overly happy verse.

Back to bring your daughter: it is the worst song by a country mile for me. It is embarrassing. I cannot get through a listen . I really don't understand it really.
In my ears it isn't really even music. I've always thought of it as a joke. Sounds like they're just screwing around and it got recorded and somehow, for some unforeseen and ill conceived reasoning, made it onto the album. I wish to god it didn't exist. How anyone can prefer this to a song like AOI can only leave me scratching my head in disbelief. But to each their own. It is even lower on my list than some of the Blaze era dumps. It is the only Bruce sung song in the bottom 20, and is DEAD LAST.

Back