Worst Iron Maiden Song

There are no bad Iron Maiden songs, but the least of them is probably Comos Estais Amigos (or however you spell it). You could also argue for Bring Your Daughter To the Slaughter. However I'll still listen to both of those songs. I only skip Maiden songs when I'm running out of time.

And by the way, The Apparition rocks. And the lyrics are really good. People talk too much crap about that era of Maiden because Maiden was experimenting with hard rock at the time. It was still Maiden but the sound and Bruce's vocals were a bit different. But it's great stuff, hard driving and vicious. I'm glad that different Maiden eras gave us slightly different approaches.

N.
And by the way, The Apparition rocks. And the lyrics are really good. People talk too much crap about that era of Maiden because Maiden was experimenting with hard rock at the time. It was still Maiden but the sound and Bruce's vocals were a bit different. But it's great stuff, hard driving and vicious. I'm glad that different Maiden eras gave us slightly different approaches.

I agree. Ive listened to it once. Weekend Warrior otoh....

Age of innocence is freakin awesome . Damn it seems I've been defending this tune on here forever. Don't understand it. The song rocks. Very nice riffs and Bruce is on top of his game .
Maybe it's because it is surrounded by legendary maiden tracks on that near perfect album!

It's been four years since I last posted in this thread, and while my opinions on a number of songs have changed in that time, my opinion of "Fortunes of War" has not. It's the worst for me. Musically, it's fine, and it has a heavy groove that is pretty killer. But good gawd, those vocals are awful. This song is Exhibit A for why it was necessary to let Blaze go.

Age of innocence is freakin awesome . Damn it seems I've been defending this tune on here forever. Don't understand it. The song rocks. Very nice riffs and Bruce is on top of his game .
Maybe it's because it is surrounded by legendary maiden tracks on that near perfect album!

Musically, it's great. It's the "Get off my lawn, you youngsters. My era was so much better!" lyrics that ruin it for me. It literally sounds like my dad wrote those lyrics.

Again with the get off the lawn stuff? No way. Not buying it. I swear this is deja vu (great song in its own right!) all over again with my defense of AOI. The lyrics are a powerful message to the politicians and law makers to pull their heads out and fix a flawed system. It's the ranting of a man on the edge:D of becoming a vigilante and righting the wrongs of society!
I hear a rebellious thoughtfully themed rocker that in no way comes across to me as any sort of old timer spewing nostalgia for petes sake. I dig the hard edged take back what's earned narrative of AOI. It's classic Maiden with a few experimental twists and turns. Killer song off a killer album.

Again with the get off the lawn stuff? No way. Not buying it. I swear this is deja vu (great song in its own right!) all over again with my defense of AOI. The lyrics are a powerful message to the politicians and law makers to pull their heads out and fix a flawed system. It's the ranting of a man on the edge:D of becoming a vigilante and righting the wrongs of society!
I hear a rebellious thoughtfully themed rocker that in no way comes across to me as any sort of old timer spewing nostalgia for petes sake. I dig the hard edged take back what's earned narrative of AOI. It's classic Maiden with a few experimental twists and turns. Killer song off a killer album.

I hear you... I'm probably being a bit harsh on it... but the "corrupt system/the world is less safe" lyrical motif just sounds like a very basic, pedestrian, surface level observation that Joe public could make IMHO. There is no sophistication in that analysis, and a million other bands have explored that avenue to greater effect. Just my two cents though... I'll give the song another listen tomorrow on the way to work to see if I hear something in it. I didn't think of it from the "vigilante" angle so that's an interesting point.

Could be that I have a rough time with the non comic book stuff in general.

The lyrics is AOI are awful. Lyrics normally only come to my attention if they are really good or really bad. These are bad, basic and cheesy.
The music is uninteresting and Burces delivery is poor.
The chorus is good enough, in a poppy kind of way which makes it all the harder when we move back to the shitty verse.
Although it speaks volumes that I still at least find something slightly good in my least favourite Maiden song

Back