The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

Huh. So the thinking is that if the barrier is farther away from the stage people are less likely to push forward?

I don't know I was just answering what happened at Donington 88. I was there at Roskilde 2000 when 9 people died during Pearl Jam (Iron Maiden were playing that festival as well) and since then they've implemented a lot of safety precautions, like a pit system where they only allow X number of people into each pit, video surveillance of the crowd, a manager that has the authority to stop a show immediately..

http://www.mojobarriers.com/july-2011-safety-first-at-roskilde-festival-2011-nl/

People died, two I believe, in the surge towards the stage and the push from the audience during the Guns N' Roses set who were performing earlier that day. Apparently it had been raining and was also very muddy. Iron Maiden were told nothing until after their performance so they didn't know when they headlined....

This would have been the old Monsters of Rock, surely? As far as I know the stages have moved around a little for Download. There is a barrier just forward of the sound stage which would stop a surge from the back, but not much else to stop people charging about forward of that. Sixes has a point, if you're too close to the stage you'd see nothing, and if people don't think they can get to within breathing distance of the band, they're less likely to surge. Doesn't stop individuals barging through and trying to push other people out of the way, though. Festivals can have a unique atmosphere, but it depends who else is around you and what the weather's like.

The incident happened at Donington 1988 yes. I think most big European festivals have this barrier/pit system now...instead of just one big open field....But before these incidents it was just that..Just one big open field of people in front of the stage. If there was a big surge of people rushing from behind and you'd fall down from the push...you'd get trampled...and that was what happened in Roskilde..

Last edited by a moderator:
The only difference is the weather, and its consequences. The rest of the possible negative factors can also happen indoors.
Outdoor, there's more oxygen, and if there's good weather, it can certainly be more pleasant, also if there are other nice bands on the same day.

A greater number of people, too, and they're usually spread out the further you get from the stage, so if a lot try to converge at once, there's a big surge forwards. Plus, festivals go on a lot longer. You can have tired people being shoved over by people who've been drinking for hours and all decide to go from the bars to the front at once.

Maybe you're right, maybe it will be nearer the summer. Other than the Paris dates, I haven't heard any other dates thrown around. Still, Brigs has money on it being February! :p
Paris gig(s) next year has been confirmed by the french press. It is gonna take place at Accor Hotel Arena (former Palais Omnisport de Paris-Bercy), a great venue, where Maiden has always given fantastic concerts. I'm absolutely delighted :dancinggeek:.

Who said anything about the US? The UK in February...

At the Oklahoma show, Bruce stated that they would be back "soon". And then at Chicago a month later, he actually came out and said they'd be back next year.

I was at both shows.

So it's obvious that they're touring again next year, not sure why them hitting up the US again is so farfetched.

So it's obvious that they're touring again next year, not sure why them hitting up the US again is so farfetched.
I didn't say it was, but you said:
If they begin their US Tour in February...
They're not going to tour the US in February. That's all I was saying. No doubt they'll hit the US again.
No precise date, just "next year". And they talk of one gig. Generally, Maiden adds a gig only when the first Paris night is sold out.
That's what I'd have thought too, but maybe you should keep the 1st & 2nd of July free... :innocent:

So Cried, why the hell did you refuse to take a photo with me at Harry's gig last year in London ? I've been so polite (I would have dozens of other questions, but this is the one that puzzles me the most).

Back