The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

UK dates are slated for February/March. As we've mentioned here before, it's rumoured that they're to play two Paris gigs in July 2017.

Thanks for the info, I follow this thread as much as possible but I'd missed the rumours about February/March.

Any gut feeling on when dates will be announced ? I'll be honest, I expected a follow up email announcing it all this morning to capitalise on Download, but no news :(

Rumours? Pff. Let's just get the facts out there Brigs...

There will be 11 UK shows, plus Belgrade, two Paris shows, Athens, Dubai, Mumbai, & Tel Aviv. In 2017. Cried says it's happening.

That'd make me so happy :)

My little lad is itching to go to his first show, and being the responsible parent that I am, I want that first show to be Maiden :innocent:

Download thoughts/experiences:

I'd say that for a first time experience I probably had quite a positive time, though this was countered by specific idiots trying to ruin the night for everyone else. I'd camped out main stage, center right since Monster Truck in the morning and had to deal with a group of meatheads during Disturbed trying to muscle their way to the front, but they left when Nightwish came on (thank God) and I was left in a group of mainly Maiden fans who were overwhelmingly positive. A very tall guy at the front, another couple, a guy in a bird hat who was sharing Maoam with everyone else there and a pair of siblings (European I think?) who shared their umbrella with me throughout "Downpour Festival" and meant that I made it back home without a roaring cold (so far).

Unfortunately, the Maiden set was not anywhere near as enjoyable as the Nightwish set (where people were just relaxed and having a great time) in terms of the people around me, as (having gotten a position with a near perfect view of the stage) I found myself getting constantly jostled, shoved to the side and effectively doing shoulder presses on the barrier to retain my position. Specific shout-outs go to the [censored] man in the Maiden England '13 T-Shirt who spent the entirety of the concert trying to push me out of the way during songs he didn't know the words to - I am so happy that you left disappointed that they didn't play your favourite songs, and wish you'd listened to Bruce's Blood Brothers speech even though you'd clearly never listened to the song itself - and the smarmy 16 year old whinging about their song choices. You two tried hard, but even you didn't manage to ruin the concert completely.

I'm glad I did this once, but I don't think I'll be attending a festival again. To get a half decent spot involves absurd amounts of standing/waiting (and is frankly exhausting and slightly miserable), only to have [censored] trying to muscle you out of your spot. It's not a good atmosphere (in fairness the majority of people were overwhelmingly human, but it only takes a couple of idiots) and I think I'd take a seated arena over it anytime, even if I don't ever get to the barrier again.

Seriously though, when I was in the Amon Amarth set things were much more civilised, something I never thought I'd say. Those guys created their localised mosh pits and walls of death but they were very respectful of people's space (and desire not to mosh). That set in general was a surprising highlight of the day.
I find there's never a nice atmosphere throughout the crowd for the headline act, although where I was for Maiden, on the lower section of the bank to the left side when facing the stage, was around some chilled older fans and a load of short, geeky kids, and everyone had a great time. I could even see the stage! That said, I'm not sure about going to another festival in future. I liked Sonisphere a lot in 2014, but Download is prone to turning into a muddy hell, plus I find the meathead to music lover ratio higher. Bruce was hinting a being slightly apologetic about their only UK date being there - not least calling it Downpour, but saying Maiden had been away too long, and how it's not right to stick 80,000 people in a field for 3 days and pour cold water on them. He said they'd played Donington six times and it had to end some time. That's when he announced there would be a UK tour next year. As with Cried, my money is on 11 dates, starting in February.

I agree about Amon Amarth. It might have been bucketing down, but they ruled that stage. It's the first time I've seen them with a full size stage set, and it looked great. They were spot on. In fact, the only band I saw that wasn't 100% spot on, was actually Maiden. :oops: If anything, the rain added to the atmosphere where AA were concerned. I'd have liked more from the new album, ideally, but what they did, people knew, and enjoyed it. Johan on form as usual. I'll post more about Download in the concert thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at that footage from Download and having never been to a UK festival, all I can think is: why is there 75 feet from the front of the barrier to the front of the stage?! What an energy killer.

Loosecanon is right.This tragic event has changed the rules. They compartiment the crowd, and they give more space to the security to absorb violent moves, in case the crowd needs to be be extracted from the pitch.
For instance, I think the second barrier at some 30 meters from the stage is a very good thing, preventing mass moves and allowing easier evacuations.

Last edited by a moderator:
People died, two I believe, in the surge towards the stage and the push from the audience during the Guns N' Roses set who were performing earlier that day. Apparently it had been raining and was also very muddy. Iron Maiden were told nothing until after their performance so they didn't know when they headlined....

Paris in July? If they begin their US Tour in February and maybe end in May...oh, well, they'll not go South. Except 08/09, they never came south on 2nd legs. But, neverthless, here i am, hoping for a miracle

People died, two I believe, in the surge towards the stage and the push from the audience during the Guns N' Roses set who were performing earlier that day. Apparently it had been raining and was also very muddy. Iron Maiden were told nothing until after their performance so they didn't know when they headlined....

Huh. So the thinking is that if the barrier is farther away from the stage people are less likely to push forward?

So next year it's possibly be UK from mid February until the end of March, US in mid April until end of May and European festivals in the summer. UK tour is pretty much confirmed, US is heavily rumored and they do the festivals every year.

Back