Anthrax

Great gig with Slayer at Brixton last night. Worked the crowd as always, a lot of Anthrax shirts out there, big pit. New guitarist has settled in really well now, whipping his hair all over the place and prowling the stage. Joey was on great form, absolutely NOT too-cool-for-school.

The new album All For Kings has leaked and after a few listens and with almost no hype, all I can say is OMG!!! WOW!!! The classic Anthrax from pre-Sound Of White Noise is back! This album is AMAZING! It is tied with Persistence Of Time with my most favorite album! Almost every song has a great, melodic hook to it plus sweet harmonic guitar parts and Joey has the best singing I have ever heard from him! I never thought I would hear anything like this out of Anthrax ever again! WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!

The new album All For Kings has leaked and after a few listens and with almost no hype, all I can say is OMG!!! WOW!!! The classic Anthrax from pre-Sound Of White Noise is back! This album is AMAZING! It is tied with Persistence Of Time with my most favorite album! Almost every song has a great, melodic hook to it plus sweet harmonic guitar parts and Joey has the best singing I have ever heard from him! I never thought I would hear anything like this out of Anthrax ever again! WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!

Awesome, I really liked Worship Music (and liked the Bush albums as well), looking forward to getting this

Just listened through For All Kings and I am so ludicrously underwhelmed. I was actually bored with much of it. I've never been much of a Belladonna fan, but I did think Worship Music was a pretty solid record with 4-5 really good songs. This new one has 2 good tracks and a bunch of boring filler.

And it would sound better with Bush

Just listened through For All Kings and I am so ludicrously underwhelmed. I was actually bored with much of it. I've never been much of a Belladonna fan, but I did think Worship Music was a pretty solid record with 4-5 really good songs. This new one has 2 good tracks and a bunch of boring filler.

And it would sound better with Bush

I agree with this, I like the Bush albums much better. Spreading the Disease/Among the Living had some really good songs, but a ton of filler, State of Euphoria is mostly filler/crap, Persistence of Time is a solid album .. of the pre-Bush albums, easily their best all around effort.

I was pleasantly surprised with Worship Music, really solid start to finish. I listened to the new album once so far and there is just not much there.

I don't know. I don't want to seem like a Belladonna fan, because I don't feel that way, but Persistance is one of my favourite thrash albums of all time, my #1 album as far as the Big 4 is concerned, actually. Okay, Rust in Peace is probably on par with it. And I enjoyed even AtL and StD. I couldn't finish either White Noise or Volume 8. So, though his voice leaves something to be desired, IMHO, I might actually prefer Belladonna. Or at least his era. Still have to try out Worship Music and For All Kings.

I think it absolutely sucks that they think it's ok to just pretend that 10+ years of their career doesn't exist. Granted, I don't want to hear Belladonna ruin those songs anyway, but actively shunning an entire era of music is just stupid.

I don't know. I don't want to seem like a Belladonna fan, because I don't feel that way, but Persistance is one of my favourite thrash albums of all time, my #1 album as far as the Big 4 is concerned, actually. Okay, Rust in Peace is probably on par with it. And I enjoyed even AtL and StD. I couldn't finish either White Noise or Volume 8. So, though his voice leaves something to be desired, IMHO, I might actually prefer Belladonna. Or at least his era. Still have to try out Worship Music and For All Kings.

Listen to The Greater of Two Evils - Bush singing all the old Joey songs. I'm curious to hear your opinion.

Worship Music is solid, has a few very good songs. For All Kings is bland and boring.

I think it absolutely sucks that they think it's ok to just pretend that 10+ years of their career doesn't exist. Granted, I don't want to hear Belladonna ruin those songs anyway, but actively shunning an entire era of music is just stupid.

Listen to The Greater of Two Evils - Bush singing all the old Joey songs. I'm curious to hear your opinion.

Worship Music is solid, has a few very good songs. For All Kings is bland and boring.

Love both Joey and John eras. Saw both in concert many times. Love Worship Music! Haven't heard FAK yet.

I take this as a confirmation that the reason the Bush era does not exist is Belladonna. Now, Belladonna singing Black Lodge or Pieces would be a travesty, true. But it's still stupid. I think any band is connected with its history and they should be glad they have such a big musical legacy. No band should be stuck in what they believe is some kind of a "golden era".

I've listened to this one twice yesterday and here are some thoughts:
- I usually don't like re-recordings, because these are often unnecessary tinkering with the masterpieces by a band way past its prime trying to milk some more money (*cough *cough, Exodus, anyone?) That said, this was not the case. I enjoyed it very much.
- The sound was excellent, it was very clear and juicy. They could, however, polish the performances more - this "live in studio" approach is not my favourite, honestly, whether it's Maiden or Anthrax.
- The Turbin songs are so much improved anyone should buy the album if only because of them. While the debut sounded like sh*t, this makes you feel the thrash energy. I don't even care Deathrider is much slower here.
- I however do care that many other songs are slower - that wasn't necessary.
- Bush is very solid and fits most of the material.
- He improved Caught in a Mosh, Among the Living, Lone Justice... maybe even Belly of the Beast for me.
- I didn't like him on AIR, NFL and Indians however. He sounds as if he can't handle the former, loses the party atmosphere of NFL and Indians are way too connected with Belladonna in my mind to really appreciate this.
- Also, this album makes the older songs sound overall much more serious. I don't know whether it's good or bad, but it reminds me of Van Halen a bit - the difference being that while I absolutely can't stand Hagar, I quite like Bush. I have alway respected Anthrax for the fact they don't take themselves all that seriously (just like Tankard in the Teutonic 4) ... though I'm being a hypocrite here, because my favourite album is the much more serious Persistence of Time.
- I love Benante. I know there are better drummers in the metal world, but still, he has this joie de vivre I really feel and enjoy. More blastbeats in NFL, I say!
- I don't know whether I'm all that happy about Caggiano's "improvements". His solos etc. mostly work, but sometimes I'd prefer him sticking closer to the originals. Connected with that is:
- What the flying f*ck is supposed to be that in the beginning of Madhouse? Yeah, the guitar wailing in the original might have been obnoxious, but this is worse. Whether it's Ian or Caggiano, the guitarist sounds as if he's having a stroke.
- The tracklist is interesting, with a good flow and not having only the hits, however some of the choices could have been better - I believe Bush would be amazing on Blood, Time or Gridlock.

Overall, a very good and enjoyable listen. In fact, I put on Sound of White Noise right afterwards and I really enjoyed it! Soon I'll consider Anthrax to be the most consistent of the Big 4. :D

Last edited:
- I didn't like him on AIR, NFL and Indians however. He sounds as if he can't handle the former, loses the party atmosphere of NFL and Indians are way too connected with Belladonna in my mind to really appreciate this.
- Also, this album makes the older songs sound overall much more serious. I don't know whether it's good or bad, but it reminds me of Van Halen a bit - the difference being that while I absolutely can't stand Hagar, I quite like Bush. I have alway respected Anthrax for the fact they don't take themselves all that seriously (just like Tankard in the Teutonic 4) ... though I'm being a hypocrite here, because my favourite album is the much more serious Persistence of Time.

Bush definitely made the band sound more serious, but I think that's why I prefer him. Anthrax's silliness and vaguely-punk, NY asshole attitude was always the aspect of the band that kept them from being my favorite. I also that Indians without Joey is an odd choice, though I still would rather hear John sing it B)

Amazon finally added FAK to Amazon Prime so I heard five songs (title track, Evil Twin, Breathing Lightning, You Gotta Believe, and Monster at the End) on the way home last night.
Very different sound for them on Breathing Lightning and You Gotta Believe (Anthrax with keyboards?!). Maybe they are just maturing. I like the title track. Evil Twin and Monster at the End are more straight metal. Will need to listen to them some more before I see them open for Slayer in October. Hopefully it will grow on me.

FAK has grown on me. Some of the songs start off slow, but then turn into classic Anthrax sound with that Scott Ian 6th string E getting pounded! The new lead guitar I really dig. The intro to You Gotta Believe strangely reminds me of the intro to Metallica's Unforgiven.

Back