Anthrax

bearfan

Ancient Mariner
I don't think anything Joey Belladonna has done could be considered "the best" of anything. He was perfectly serviceable during his first tenure in Anthrax and he contributed to a couple amazing albums, but his voice was never the highlight.

Totally agree... he is not bad, just kind of okay. I prefer their albums with Bush singing.

terrell39

Ancient Mariner
I like both singers but I think John is easier to understand. Songs like Who Cares Wins, Time, Indians, A.I.R, etc I had a hard time comprehending Joey without looking at the cd booklet.

Don't remember having that problem with John

Belladonna is good for that "glam metal on speed" sound that Anthrax had on their early albums. He's very high pitched and melodic which works for Anthrax, personally I prefer more aggressive thrash metal vocals that has some snarl to em.
Belladonna's voice is a major highlight of Anthrax, he has a wonderful voice. The Bush era stuff is good too, but Bush isn't the singer Belladonna is.

I do think it is true that there are a lot of successful thrash bands with growly snarly (or screamo) voices, but for me that isn't a defining characteristic of thrash. Anthrax (Belladona) and even Megadeth (esp Youthanasia, Countdown to Extinction etc) are wickedly cool and no less thrash than bands with lesser "singers" if you can call them that a.k.a. Annihilator, Metallica, Slayer, Sepultura. I think it is a bit of a "punk" attitude to try and put down a band by saying Yeah they are OK, but why do they have to be so good at their instruments (or so good at singing), wouldn't it sound a bit more real or aggressive or defiant etc if they didn't try to sound good at playing (or singing).

And, yeah, I know, peeps are likely to criticise my above by saying, well Mustaine ain't a great singer. And that is true, but on Youthanasia he did sing ok and carried a decent melody. Hetfield, Araya, Cavelera, wouldn't be able to carry those tunes. Not even close.

I respect that some people like snarly. I do like Cavelera alot, but I reject the idea that to be a True Thrash band you can't have a great melodic singer.

KidInTheDark666

What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine too
Belladonna's voice is a major highlight of Anthrax, he has a wonderful voice. The Bush era stuff is good too, but Bush isn't the singer Belladonna is.

I do think it is true that there are a lot of successful thrash bands with growly snarly (or screamo) voices, but for me that isn't a defining characteristic of thrash. Anthrax (Belladona) and even Megadeth (esp Youthanasia, Countdown to Extinction etc) are wickedly cool and no less thrash than bands with lesser "singers" if you can call them that a.k.a. Annihilator, Metallica, Slayer, Sepultura. I think it is a bit of a "punk" attitude to try and put down a band by saying Yeah they are OK, but why do they have to be so good at their instruments (or so good at singing), wouldn't it sound a bit more real or aggressive or defiant etc if they didn't try to sound good at playing (or singing).

And, yeah, I know, peeps are likely to criticise my above by saying, well Mustaine ain't a great singer. And that is true, but on Youthanasia he did sing ok and carried a decent melody. Hetfield, Araya, Cavelera, wouldn't be able to carry those tunes. Not even close.

I respect that some people like snarly. I do like Cavelera alot, but I reject the idea that to be a True Thrash band you can't have a great melodic singer.
I agree for the most part, but imo Hetfield is miles above these other guys.

MrKnickerbocker

clap hands

I will never accept the idea that a band, player, singer, etc is better BECAUSE of their lack of skill. That’s not a valid argument. Music is not made better by lack of playing ability.

And comparing Belladonna to Hetfield or Mustaine is unfair, they’re both far better at writing melodies than Anthrax.

And comparing Belladonna to Hetfield or Mustaine is unfair, they’re both far better at writing melodies than Anthrax.
I thought the context was singing ability, and ability to sing a melody.

There are many aspects that two people could be compared on. Song writing is one of those comparisons, and also singing is another comparison.

It would be unfair to compare Steve Harris singing against that of Bruce Dickinson, but it be fair to compare the melodies of Steve penned songs against Bruce's.
It is also fair to compair Bruce vs Blaze in terms of singing, and Belladona vs Hetfield.

Last edited:

MrKnickerbocker

clap hands
I thought the context was singing ability, and ability to sing a melody.

There are many aspects that two people could be compared on. Song writing is one of those comparisons, and also singing is another comparison.

It would be unfair to compare Steve Harris singing against that of Bruce Dickinson, but it be fair to compare the melodies of Steve penned songs against Bruce's.
It is also fair to compair Bruce vs Blaze in terms of singing, and Belladona vs Hetfield.
That's all fair, I suppose. However, I still don't think Belladonna is a "great melodic singer" as you put it. I don't think he's a terrible singer, but I certainly wouldn't call his singing "melodic" and that is mostly because of the melodies. Most Anthrax melodies (with Belladonna or Bush) are not super melodic, they're very thrashy, usually quickly spat words as is typical of thrash, followed by belting choruses. He just has a higher vocal range than most thrash singers. Let Joey Belladonna sing some of the melodies on something like Youthanasia and we'll see how melodic he sings.

SixesAlltheway

Ancient Mariner

Where in my post did I put down Anthrax? I said he was a good singer, fitting for that glam metal on speed sound that they have. He's a very talented singer. I prefer singers with more "snarl" to their voices. Belladonna doesn't have that, he's like the Kiske of thrash. Mustaine whom you brought up has snarl, lots of attitude and grittiness to his vocals. "snarl" to me doesn't mean growl or anything like that, but just singing with conviction and attitude. I don't think I put down Anthrax or Belladonna for being good musicians, I just said what I prefer...

Last edited:
Where in my post did I put down Anthrax? I said he was a good singer, fitting for that glam metal on speed sound that they have. He's a very talented singer. I prefer singers with more "snarl" to their voices. Belladonna doesn't have that, he's like the Kiske of thrash. Mustaine whom you brought up has snarl, lots of attitude and grittiness to his vocals. "snarl" to me doesn't mean growl or anything like that, but just singing with conviction and attitude. I don't think I put down Anthrax or Belladonna for being good musicians, I just said what I prefer...
Sure, sorry, not meaning to mischaracterise your position.

I still don't quite understand the idea of putting music into category boxes and the putting musicians into category boxes inside those boxes.
Personally I think Bruce or Kiske or Belladonna can all fit thrash music. Just because many thrash bands don't have smooth melodic singers (a.k.a. they either have rasp, or snarl, or screamo, or growls or grunts) it doesn't mean that you can't have thrash with great smooth singers.
My preference would definately be for the smoother voices, I prefer Bruce and Kiske and Belladonna, and Mustaine's Youthanasia voice. I really like thrash but I personally would prefer the smoother singers even in that genre.