Empire of the Clouds vinyl single for Record Store Day

Looks like a nice investment. ;) Do you think you will sell it in future or keep it?

I'll keep it, I like records .. and have most everything Maiden has released on vinyl. There was a temptation to get extras to sell, but that is a pretty dick move to buy these just for resale IMO

I got mine today! I have #481/6000
I also picked up Piece of Mind for 12$

What about Bruce's interview on the B-side? Any new things? Or just what he already said in previous interviews?

What about Bruce's interview on the B-side? Any new things? Or just what he already said in previous interviews?

The interview is Bruce and Nicko interspersed. Some of it I had heard before, some I had not (though it might be out there somewhere and I just missed it). I thought it was pretty good, they went fairly in depth about how the song was constructed. I'm sure if it is not already on youtube, it will be soon

I bought the full album on Vinyl when it came out. I only listened to to interview so far on the picture disc.

Generally picture discs are not going to sound as good as non picture discs. Which is why I was really happy they release TBOS on black vinyl and really wish they would release BNW through TFF on black vinyl as well .. the picture discs look cool as hell, but I want them to sound better.

In any case, the entire TBOS album sounds great on vinyl, it is not really that different than the CD, but (and people will argue this), I think vinyl give music a bit warmer/real/analog sound than CDs and I prefer that. Certainly part of it is that is how I grew up listening to music

My experience of records was them sounding trebly and scratchy, but that was old recordings and old style record players and speakers. I know a lot of people swear by vinyl and modern record players.

The problem is that you need to get a system with an amp, a turntable and speakers in the range of a couple of thousand euros to reach that level of quality for vinyl...

I think you can get by with a lesser turntable, I have a $150 Sony, but I have a good receiver and some excellent speakers (that I bought nearly 20 years ago and my wife hates because they are big, but they sound fucking spectacular). Yeah, it is not cheap, but on the other hand, I use it 4+ hours a day 5 or 6 days a week while I am working and have for nearly 20 years .. so the price/hour is pretty low. As a bonus, I have back problems and it forces be to get my ass up every 20-ish minutes to flip it over. I should be able to write these albums off on my taxes as a health need :)

That would be it, then. My audio spending doesn't go much beyond a generic MP3 player and a very old CD player system.

Yeah, that will not work well. It is an investment, though if you get good stuff, it lasts forever. Like I mentioned, I have had my setup for about 20 years. My Dad has the same stereo setup (which sounds great as well) that he bought in the late 1960s ... royal pain in the ass to move, those speakers weigh a ton, but they sound incredibly good.

If I can help it, vinyl is the only way I listen to TBOS now. Very different master with a lot more clarity.

If I can help it, vinyl is the only way I listen to TBOS now. Very different master with a lot more clarity.

I find it unbelievable that the CD version sounds so much different /worse/
It's as though someone made a big mistake, but they've already printed a million of them before noticing, so they let them for sale anyway

I wouldn't call the CD master bad, just a bit muddy in comparison. It probably has to do with vinyl limitations (audiophiles/experts help me out here) preventing some of the issues on the CD. But overall the CD master is much better than TFF, DOD, and about on part with AMOLaD.

I got mine today! I have #481/6000

Interesting - I don't see a number on mine - where is it on your version? Is it printed on the record cover or on the vinyl itself?

I really like the packaging on this release. The gatefold images are fantastic, and it is neat to see Bruce's interest in the story further reflected in the photos of the canvas sheet and the tankard.

Interesting - I don't see a number on mine - where is it on your version? Is it printed on the record cover or on the vinyl itself?

I really like the packaging on this release. The gatefold images are fantastic, and it is neat to see Bruce's interest in the story further reflected in the photos of the canvas sheet and the tankard.
It was a sticker on the shrink wrap. I haven't taken mine off yet and probably won't for a while as I do not have a record player.

No stores near me had this (not surprised). The closest one that did is in Baltimore and won't ship it so I grabbed one off ebay for $40. Which is a good deal of money spent on something I'm probably never going to open but I don't care, I've spent more on worse before.

Back