Metal with female vocals

The Gentle Storm project is pretty cool. Anneke does some different things on there, it's a much more raw performance for her overall I think, especially compared to what she does with Devin Townsend.

If you check it out though, ignore the "heavy" version.

HOLY SHIT I LOVE THIS.

They're from Portland, OR. Sadly I'm not sure what the status is with the band. The singer, Uta Plotkin left after that album :( But they've got 4 albums of brilliant doom metal to dig into at least!

Screen-Shot-2014-08-06-at-5.57.27-PM.png

Swiss all-female metal band Burning Witches releasing debut album soon. I don't like it, but I suppose YOU might do.

I was hoping for that to be good...but those vocals and production are just bad.

Also, interesting that an all female band would make a music video in which they are tied up and scared.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Dutch death metallers Acrostichon. Fairly average musically, but their vocallist Corinne delivers some really brutal sounds. Here's the opening track from their 1993 album Engraved in Black:

And a live video to see Corinne and friends in action:

This topic can't exist without the wonderful album Mana by symfonic/gothic metal band Nemesea with the wonderful Manda Ophuis on vocals. Today she left the band.
Dear friends and fans,
After a long period struggling with personal issues, it is with a heavy heart that I have decided to relinquish my dream to be a singer.
I will, therefor, no longer be a part of Nemesea.
Within the next couple of weeks the band will inform you about their future plans.
For now, I want to thank everyone who has supported the band and I in all the years we've been around. I have so many great memories that I will cherish forever.
Love,
Manda

The music on Mana (2004) is really good and she's one of the better singers out there. Whole album:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhONkwqxk_1czvUxVSXDanqOq3SAQ5eKt

A few songs:

Later Nemesea went more poppy. This vid is from a few months ago (very difficult for me to watch since a daughter is dying in it). I wonder what they'll do without Manda.

Back