Official Star Wars Thread

In a few years, the Hobbit films are going to be just as reviled as the prequels.
They are pretty reviled now. I watched all three in a row a few days before the official Hobbit release, and they have great moments, and they just are long and boring, with way too much CGI and meaningless battles. As I have noted in the Tolkien thread, somewhere in the Hobbit movies is a good 3 hr film. A recut prequel trilogy also holds some interest for me (the Topher Grace cut is said to be very good).

All that being said, I think Lucas was bold with his vision. I just don't think his vision was as good as Lucas thought it was.

They are pretty reviled now. I watched all three in a row a few days before the official Hobbit release, and they have great moments, and they just are long and boring, with way too much CGI and meaningless battles.
Take one superb legendary children's book. Ruin it.
As I have noted in the Tolkien thread, somewhere in the Hobbit movies is a good 3 hr film. A recut prequel trilogy also holds some interest for me (the Topher Grace cut is said to be very good).
Probably, but I'm passed caring now.

At least Lucas was handling his own material.

Oh no, Hobbits are so much worse than prequels... Main flaws of these two trilogies are different, I think. For example each of the individual prequels has its beginning, middle and end. That's a HUGE advantage over Hobbits...

Run time for Force Awakens is confirmed

As well as the new pictures from Star Wars: The Force Awakens that you read about below, the latest edition of EW has also confirmed the running time for the film. Director JJ Abrams has locked the final cut of the movie at 135 minutes, it has revealed. Furthermore, the movie was all but completed on November 3rd, with just some effects work to tidy up, and the final parts of John Williams' score to add.

Read more: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/sta...-awakens-running-time-confirmed#ixzz3rWapy4wV

See, that's the problem. They have maintained the secrecy for such a long time and now they fucked it all up. There were like 5 new promotional videos within a week, if I count correctly + I constantly see written news headlines about new information. Not to mention the spoiler-filled pictures I warned about on the previous page... Up until the main trailer I assumed everything they show is safe and even meant to be seen before the film, but I don't trust them anymore. I have to stay away from some sites I'm used to visit, which sucks. It's gonna be the longest month ever.

On screen? I'm watching the movie again on friday so I'll be paying more attention to that.

And there were definitely a lot of on screen deaths in that scene. Still, I had a hard time caring. It seems obvious to me that instead of a giant scene involving all the characters, they filmed groups of actors individually doing generic lightsaber moves and pasted it into the arena. I don't mind the highly choreographed lightsaber stuff as much as most people, but it's one of those scenes that would've benefitted from building an actual arena (or just having a large area and putting a green screen on it it I don't care) and just having the actors run loose and have a chaotic battle.

Anyway, Attack of the Clones is still easily the worst Star Wars, but also watchable. Does anyone else think that Jar Jar giving Palpatine emergency powers (and effectively triggering the rise of the empire) was a "fuck you" to the haters from George Lucas? Clearly he acknowledged the backlash by severely diminishing Jar Jar's role in the movie, so it doesn't seem like a stretch to me.

Does anyone else think that Jar Jar giving Palpatine emergency powers (and effectively triggering the rise of the empire) was a "fuck you" to the haters from George Lucas? Clearly he acknowledged the backlash by severely diminishing Jar Jar's role in the movie, so it doesn't seem like a stretch to me.

No, it'd been long stated and known that Lucas had this role in mind for Jar-Jar all along. I remember reading things to that effect (i.e. Lucas having had grand plans for him) as early as 1999.

I will never get over how bad episodes 1,2 and 3 are.....
It will take a hell of a lot to get me back into enjoying the SW universe again.
There is a lot riding on TFA..If it's as bad as the prequels I will not be watching any more of the sequels.
Obviously hoping it's decent.
BB-8 looks cool and Kylo Ren could be an awesome villain.
Will wait and see.

The prequels aren't bad. They're very boldly vionalized blockbusters, and they don't work all the way - but neither did the ewoks and 'accurate' stormtroopers so there's that.

Watched Revenge of the Sith last night, I still stand by it as a movie that's not only watchable, but really good. Almost on par with ROTJ (and very similar in a lot of ways). It still has a lot of the issues that the other two prequels have, but what sets it apart is that the story is interesting, there are actual characters with more fleshed out traits, and a much more clear protagonist and antagonist. It almost comes off as if everything before this was filler to get here.

Action scenes are better too, I actually like all of the lightsaber fights. The only stuff that doesn't hold up as well is the Utopa/Grievous stuff. And that's just mostly because the character was never properly introduced.

The only stuff that doesn't hold up as well is the Utopa/Grievous stuff. And that's just mostly because the character was never properly introduced.

The Darth Jar-Jar theory did have one really interesting point. Dooku and Grievous both seemed shoehorned in there. Maul could get by with no backstory because he never spoke, but the story would have worked much better if these characters were combined or had more weight somehow.

For instance, who the fuck is Sifodias? (I don't know or care if that's spelled right.) They make mention of this mysterious Jedi who ordered up an army and then nothing. Then Dooku comes out of nowhere an hour later... it's like the screenwriter forgot who he was writing about during lunchtime.

The Darth Jar-Jar theory did have one really interesting point. Dooku and Grievous both seemed shoehorned in there. Maul could get by with no backstory because he never spoke, but the story would have worked much better if these characters were combined or had more weight somehow.
This is the thing about the prequels that is most baffling to me. I understand the overuse of blue screen, I even understand Jar Jar. I get why George made a lot of those decisions, but the one I just can't figure out is why he killed off Darth Maul and introduced Count Dooku when the role could've easily been combined. Instead of those few scenes in Episode II where they try to develop Dooku's character and give him a shoehorned backstory, they could've spent that time introducing Grievous as a character to be fleshed out further in the next movie. Maul is your main villain, Grievous is a secondary villain. That one change would've improved the movies so much and it would've made that opening battle in Episode III (Anakin and Obiwan vs Darth Maul) much more intense.

Back